Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

Started watching Blockbuster on Netflix and it seems a bit off. The pilot seemed poorly paced and badly-cut, which for a comedy is a really bad thing, and potentially solid gags fell flat. The second episode improved the editing and pacing a lot and had a few funnier moments in it, so I'll give it a few more eps. The show does have a problem in that the premise - traditional retail clinging on in the face of online competition - was executed much better and in a way that made much more sense in Superstore. This Blockbuster is clinging on by its fingertips but can still employ six people full-time? Hmm. Also, they seemed to be starting off well by slating Netflix (ha) but in the second episode they turn their ire on streaming on Amazon, which seemed a bit cowardly (unless this is a running bit and in episode three it'll be Apple TV+ and so on).

Also been watching The Great North on Disney+ which is amusing enough, especially when you take it as Ron Swanson: The Animated Sitcom (Nick Offerman voices the lead character, who is basically a less-mean version of Ron but with his similar interests in woodworking, sailing ships and cooking meat).

Season 4 of The Dragon Prince also dropped which I need to catch up on, but it's so long since Season 3 that I can't remember what the hell was going on (save that Season 3 was so rushed AF at the end that it stopped entirely making sense).

I'm only like 30 minutes into Dashcam a recent horror movie that's on hulu. I cannot believe how terrible the main character is. its not enough she's a covid denying trump supporter but she's also just a total psychopath. Its a weird choice but I'm really looking forward to terrible things happening to her. 

Watched The Curse of Bridge Hollow yesterday. It was pretty weak in most departments. The two main protagonists were fine, but other than that it was just disappointing. Cannot recommend. Why is the mother is so clueless about everything? Urgh. 

22 hours ago, DMC said:

I really don't understand the impetus for the petition.  It states, "There are millions who were not able to watch Interstellar in Theaters."  Er...why weren't you able to watch it when it came out?  Is this just for people that were simply too young to see it at the time?  Not to mention I don't get why they're targeting the tenth anniversary when that's still two years away.

Watching a Nolan movie without subtitles? Seems crazy!

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

We watched The Woman King last night and it was fantastic. Viola Davis is such a beast. I'm so happy movies in this area of the world is being made.

You will then probably enjoy Neptune's Frost!

On 11/2/2022 at 11:22 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Anyone got this?

On 11/3/2022 at 9:24 AM, DMC said:

I really don't understand the impetus for the petition.  It states, "There are millions who were not able to watch Interstellar in Theaters."  Er...why weren't you able to watch it when it came out?  Is this just for people that were simply too young to see it at the time?  Not to mention I don't get why they're targeting the tenth anniversary when that's still two years away.

4 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Watching a Nolan movie without subtitles? Seems crazy!

For the record, this is not my petition... but it could have been....

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I fell asleep after 30 mins or so, but it looked good. 

It is. As far as German war epics, I don't think it rises to the level of something like Das Boot or Downfall, but it's still damn good. Beautiful, epic, emotional. I'd be surprised of it doesn't get nominated in some technical categories at least. 

The Peripheral remains good, though this was a bit slower of an ep. The powerpoint description of the Jackpot was a bit silly but it was pretty cool how on the nose a lot of it is. I appreciate the hacking behavior looking actually reasonable and not incredibly stupid like much hacking often does. 

The scene between the head of RI and Lev was damn good though. So was Connor's reaction to having limbs again. 

Stefan Sasse of the Boiled Leather Audio Hour, who I believe teaches history in Germany, went on an extended rant about how bad All Quiet on the Western Front is when we were sharing a minibus to an event in Spain the other week. Suffice it to say, he was not a fan at all.

I see he's recorded a podcast about the three film adaptations of the novel, with Peter Doyle a professor who specializes in WWI and is a fellow of the Royal Historical Society. Should be interesting

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Stefan Sasse of the Boiled Leather Audio Hour, who I believe teaches history in Germany, went on an extended rant about how bad All Quiet on the Western Front is when we were sharing a minibus to an event in Spain the other week. Suffice it to say, he was not a fan at all.

I see he's recorded a podcast about the three film adaptations of the novel, with Peter Doyle a professor who specializes in WWI and is a fellow of the Royal Historical Society. Should be interesting

He published a review (in German) on his blog. Google yields a pretty wonky English language translation, but its safe to say he's not a fan of "Nothing New in the West". :D

8 hours ago, Ran said:

I’ve been enjoying the movie up until 1:10.

I just hit the tank part. Ridiculous. 

Edit: I do like the homages to the previous movies. 

@TheLastWolf - Just dipped into Ponniyin Selvan: Part I , before the need to give up this day came upon me.

This is great.  Thanks to you I have a lot more to put into what I'm seeing than I would have otherwise.  I'm so glad it's so long, so I can have several happy nights of viewing.

Semba -- may you steal ladies' clothes forever!

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

@TheLastWolf - Just dipped into Ponniyin Selvan: Part I , before the need to give up this day came upon me.

This is great.  Thanks to you I have a lot more to put into what I'm seeing than I would have otherwise.  I'm so glad it's so long, so I can have several happy nights of viewing.

Semba -- may you steal ladies' clothes forever!

Glad you loved it! and I named a runaway dog my uncle rescued (damn Diwali crackers) after Semba.

Waiting for PS2

Edit

So its out on prime heh!

Archived