Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

3 hours ago, dog-days said:

Watched S4 The Dragon Prince. I think pretty much every season at the start I tell myself that this is way too saccharine and I'm not going to be drawn into it, then get drawn into it anyway. It's a wonderful antidote to RL, the fantasy cartoon equivalent of Only Murders in the Building. 

Admittedly, I do regularly hope that Prince Ezran is disintegrated, set on fire,  or walled up in a cave for twenty years, returning as a Steerpike-like villain, because there's only so much niceness I can bear, but apart from that I think that Dragon Prince gets the mix of seriousness and humour about right. It has a light touch - it's good at gently poking fun and satirising teenage romance plotlines while valuing them at the same time. 

I liked the dynamic of having a set of antagonists who patently want to reform, but haven't yet got round to acknowledging this themselves. The dramatic tension largely comes from waiting to see how much damage they cause on the way to achieving self-knowledge. 

I binged it yesterday and enjoyed it as well. 

You just have to shrug off some of the weird dialogue. 

“You may perform acts so unforgivable, that you can never forgive yourself. “  

I also finally noticed that a lot of the spell chants are just English words backwards. (Thank you subtitles)

I’m currently watching V for Vendetta.

It’s November the 5th you know?

4 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Back to the Future is the greatest trilogy ever made. I don’t know what #2 is but it’s not close.

(For a fantasy board poster, I’m not as high on LotR as many though it probably is second on my list).

Godfather, Dark Knight, original SW trilogy and indiana jones are all superior. But I have it 5th/6th overall along with LotRs, fantasy or not. I'm much higher on the second one than most people. 

As a kid I thought the Back to the Future trilogy was incredible, I also thought the second instalment was the best because it had cool future shit in it. 
Time has revised my opinion a bit though. I still think the first movie is pretty much perfect, but the other two never really lived up to what came before. Part 2 especially is pretty clunky and a mess at times even if there some good ideas. Overall though it is still a good trilogy of better quality than you would expect. It’s not like they stopped trying, like other franchises tend to do.

Otherwise I watched House of Gucci, and my jaw dropped at the end when ‘Directed by Ridley Scott’ popped up at the end. WTF??

Actually I really enjoyed the movie, I expected to hate it and thought I would be Razzie material. It really does tread a very very fine line between over the top pantomime melodrama and The Room level awfulness. It pulls it off though I felt, because all bizarre accents and crazy performances felt like they were on purpose and seemed to fit together in a coherent piece. Scott created a cartoonish, soapy, magazine cover world and the characters fit within it. It’s not a gritty realistic drama.

Jared Leto got a lot of flack for his performance, and I can see why! It’s fucking weird, but IMO it sort of fits. I really fall on the side of he’s a clueless preening self indulgent Hollywood knob, but I hate to admit I really liked what he did! My other half loved every second he was on screen and was laughing out loud constantly.

Lady Gaga was also brilliant. Maybe she’s really good at acting, who knew!

49 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A white kid did NOT teach Chuck Berry how to duckwalk or play the guitar.

No. Chuck Berry taught a white kid who taught Chuck Berry who taught a white kid...

BttF has problems. The mc’s plan is to sexually assault his mother (and may have to be quite violent given she’s really into him). Then has to hope hos father white-knighting will win her over (and not traumatise her).

Instead, Biff almoat rapes her. But once rescued, no one offers to take her home etc, she just goes back to the dance?

And years later the family supports Biff’s business and lets him just walk into their house. 

What?

Went to see Halloween Ends tonight. Went in with low expectations and they were not met, not even close. The best part of the movie was that they played a Dead Kennedys song in one scene (and a Cramps song in another). Otherwise I'm just going to pretend the 2018 Halloween movie was a stand-alone and had no sequels.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:26 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Doubling back to this, 100% recommend. I watched the English version, next time I'll watch it in German (the dubbing is hit or miss).

This is such a well made war film on every level. The acting and the cinematography are exceptional and the brutal realism of WW1 and the loss of innocence are so perfectly captured. Can not recommend this enough, but there are some very brutal war scenes in this film for those who are squeamish.

You havent seen it yet if your using the dubbing, they need to outlaw that offensive garbage.

6 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

You havent seen it yet if your using the dubbing, they need to outlaw that offensive garbage.

Nonsense. Watching a dubbed version first can help add contextual details you'd otherwise miss before seeing something in its native tongue again, and the film still had plenty of French and German scenes in it.  

I watched the first 10 minutes of All Quiet on the Western Front with the Dub on without noticing. That shows that the dubbed audio was actually quite good. However I agree Dubbed audio is a crime to filmmaking and should be banned so I switched.

Odd that Netflix would set that as the default for this however.

On 11/5/2022 at 11:57 PM, dog-days said:

Watched S4 The Dragon Prince. I think pretty much every season at the start I tell myself that this is way too saccharine and I'm not going to be drawn into it, then get drawn into it anyway. It's a wonderful antidote to RL, the fantasy cartoon equivalent of Only Murders in the Building. 

Admittedly, I do regularly hope that Prince Ezran is disintegrated, set on fire,  or walled up in a cave for twenty years, returning as a Steerpike-like villain, because there's only so much niceness I can bear, but apart from that I think that Dragon Prince gets the mix of seriousness and humour about right. It has a light touch - it's good at gently poking fun and satirising teenage romance plotlines while valuing them at the same time. 

I liked the dynamic of having a set of antagonists who patently want to reform, but haven't yet got round to acknowledging this themselves. The dramatic tension largely comes from waiting to see how much damage they cause on the way to achieving self-knowledge. 

Good to hear that this is your impression. I started the fourth season last week and I find it really hard to get into again after binging the other seasons during the pandemic. It's probably me not remembering correctly, but it feels more juvenile in the early episodes in the beginning of season 4 than I remember from previous seasons (and not in the Pixar/Disney Renaissance kind of way where there is plenty in the background for parents to enjoy).

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

On some dubbed films I’ve switched on subtitles and dibbing, and they often don’t quite match

At least in Norway, dub and sub are two very different disciplines, with very different end goals in mind, typically carried out by separate entities. I've been doing subtitling since 2007, and I don't thing I've ever directly communicated with a dub team.

First, I need to state the obvious. Text and speech are different.* Because of this, the individual broadcasters' style guides for subtitlers are very different from that of dub teams.

Furthermore, dub teams do their best to follow the mouth movements of the characters on screen. They are also less restricted by the original dialogue than sub, and are free to use what dialogue they think conveys the overall point the best, typically resulting in a far more idiomatic localization style.

Sub has to follow audio-in (when a character starts talking) to an extent, but not nearly as stringently. A sub can remain on screen for several seconds after audio-out if necessary, but since reading speed is so much slower than listening speed, what we call compression is necessary - even if it's Norwegian-Norwegian. So even if the subtitler has access to the dub audio, which isn't always the case since we often work concurrently, some things would still have to be shortened and trimmed to maintain a comfortable reading speed, optimally around 12 characters per second.

The best one can hope for is that things like important or recurring words and phrases (and names, if it's necessary to translate them) particular to the show/movie are translated the same way. The streaming service I do freelance work for, which I won't name for NDA reasons, have a common word list for things like that.

*Subtitling something where actors have memorized a clear, proofread script can be easy as pie. Subtitling reality TV is the worst, IMO. Not only are they inane to watch, but trying to make coherent sentences out of garbled, stream-of-consciousness jabbering can be a real nightmare.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Anime is generally the biggest disconnect between the dubbed version and subtitles. Having both on at once will make your brain split in two.

Japanese-to-English (as one example) is a huge cultural and linguistic gulf to overcome, resulting in two different translators producing even more diverging work. Nor are there enough Japanese speakers over here at the moment to handle the sudden influx of content, so there's an element of "anyone will do". It's especially bad in smaller language pools, like Norway, so mostly we have to make do with a pivot language (English).

The current popularity of anime/manga will probably remedy that in a few years, when tons of weeb kids decide that they want to learn Japanese and become underpaid and underemployed jobbing subtitlers/translators.

Besides, anime is impossible to lip read, so dub teams can really go to town.

1 hour ago, lacuna said:

Japanese-to-English (as one example) is a huge cultural and linguistic gulf to overcome, resulting in two different translators producing even more diverging work. Nor are there enough Japanese speakers over here at the moment to handle the sudden influx of content, so there's an element of "anyone will do". It's especially bad in smaller language pools, like Norway, so mostly we have to make do with a pivot language (English).

The current popularity of anime/manga will probably remedy that in a few years, when tons of weeb kids decide that they want to learn Japanese and become underpaid and underemployed jobbing subtitlers/translators.

Besides, anime is impossible to lip read, so dub teams can really go to town.

Its always so wildly different though, which is what confuses me. Ideally you'd want a translation created first which is used for subtitles and then dub teams can work from that, but it sounds like its farmed out to 2 different places and so you get completely different versions of the same scene played out

Archived