Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!

Zorral

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, I watched this the other day and it started out decent enough, but ended up being pretty predictable and just an average movie at best. I so wanted to like it too. Florence Pugh killed it as always though.

I'm not sure I'd call the third act predicable. Maybe the outcomes, but the twist was straight out of left field and I get why critics didn't like it.

Pugh was great as always though. Not sure I've seen her be bad in anything yet. She just has a certain grace and presence. I'd bet the farm she wins an Oscar before the decade is over.

SAS: Rogue Heroes.

To sum up: a group of malcontent, foul-mouthed soldiers set aside their differences and work outside the system to commit war crimes against Nazis in North Africa; and it's all set to a soundtrack of AC/DC and Motorhead.

At this moment, there's a trickster god somewhere explaining to the rest of his/her/their pantheon, "Of course I made it for him. Now let's see if he figures it out." 

You can't see but I'm crying happy tears right now. 

P.S. Tom Glynn-Carney unrecognizable in this. 

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

West as Charles is simply too charming and good looking.

For only a single instance: him in the gym with the kids playing at breakdancing in his suit.  There is no path to suspending disbelief here, none, starting with the facts that charlie could never ever have moved that way, even if it is only playing at the dancing.

Not enough horsies, also, no closeups, either.  

But! this Di, so nasty, sour, mean.  Such myth busting.  The Al-Fayeed episode, for instance. E and Philip, other members in the court circle, check with each other as which possessions in the Villa Windsor belong to Them/the Crown/ -- and they go over the lists with the same attention as any grocer would go over his delivery lists and invoices. They look small and grasping, petty and avaricious.  And always, deadly dull.  Al-Fayeed buys into some position in that most prestigious equine something or other so he can sit next to, and, finally, meet and speak with the Queen. Queenie’s not about to allow this vulgarian colonial nobody his reward. Meanly in intent, queen and equerry swap in Diana instead. She insults al-Fayeed Sr., makes fun of the contents in the Harrod's gift bag, -- and they get along famously, everyone believes.  Di and Elizabeth are equally nasty in this sequence, out of the same sensibility of royal arrogance and superiority.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure I'd call the third act predicable. Maybe the outcomes, but the twist was straight out of left field and I get why critics didn't like it.

Spoiler

The predictable part was a bunch of present day dudes trying to recreate the chauvinistic 50’s to control their wives.

I wasn’t 100% sure it would be present day, and the exact details of how it was happening was surprising though. 

34 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The predictable part was a bunch of present day dudes trying to recreate the chauvinistic 50’s to control their wives.

I wasn’t 100% sure it would be present day, and the exact details of how it was happening was surprising though. 

Spoiler

I sort of expected them to be on a different planet, if I was trying to predict a weird twist. Them being in the present day legit caught me off guard. 

It bums me out because I was really into the movie until that random shift. Kind of feels like seeing Us all over again.

I've been waiting for Fire of Love to drop on Disney+ for months. I'm about half way through and it's every bit as incredible as I hoped for. This is without doubt one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It's in French and English, but the visuals speak every language. The bravery to get some of these shots had to be insane. The world is a better place because of the work and research Katia and Maurice Krafft did. 

I cannot recommend this one enough. 

On 11/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, Mindwalker said:

I ranted about The Good Fight recently, but I have to say the second half of this final season was a blast. I even forgive them

Hide contents

the boring Diane storyline of being conked out and her love interest, some unlikely character developments, the false promises of most episode titles this year, one or two dangling storylines  and their complete hypocrisy about this (or most) law firm(s).

These past episodes were done so well. And the way they integrated the intro into the show itself in the final...

And the ending

Hide contents

of the countdown

was just glorious!

I'm conflicted on the end of The Good Fight. Not so much because I didn't enjoy it. I did! But the ending felt...like it was missing something.  Or that it needed a little more time...

I mean, so much was introduced in these last few episodes...yet never fully resolved.  I'd take another sequel if it featured some of these characters as they moved on...

Maybe take a pass on watching “Weird: The Al Yankovic story”.  I liked seeing X funny person in a cameos, but was nearly the only funny-ish bit.  I snickered at a few things - probably should have just rewatched UHF.  Though it will have your cis females googling “why is Daniel Radcliffe so jacked for a weird al movie?”

Lacking anything good to watch, I finally finished The Stand reboot.  My god. The worst part is that there were a lot of good or potentially good things, including James Marsden, but what an aggressively stupid destruction of the story.  Why can't anyone make a good reboot anymore???  How can you have a cast that is half excellent and half terrible? Why. Why. Why.

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Lacking anything good to watch, I finally finished The Stand reboot.  My god. The worst part is that there were a lot of good or potentially good things, including James Marsden, but what an aggressively stupid destruction of the story.  Why can't anyone make a good reboot anymore???  How can you have a cast that is half excellent and half terrible? Why. Why. Why.

I wonder what the execs thought when they first saw it. The Stand is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Iirc I quit after the third episode.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wonder what the execs thought when they first saw it. The Stand is one of the worst things I've ever seen. Iirc I quit after the third episode.

I initially quit after the first episode because of the insane decision to leech out any and all suspense by doing the flash forwards so you knew from the beginning who would live, and where things would end, but went back to it this weekend.  It was bad in such an unusual way.  They had a great successful story, a mostly okay to good cast, and yet the final result, terrible.

ETA--if I was a studio exec I would at least have asked for a recut w/out th flash forwards to see if some dramatic tension could be injected.

I almost always finish seasons once I've started them, but also gave up on The Stand. Pretty much the only thing I liked was that actor from Legion who was the priest from Midnight Mass. I guess I really should learn his name.

(Hamish Linklater)

12 hours ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Maybe take a pass on watching “Weird: The Al Yankovic story”.  I liked seeing X funny person in a cameos, but was nearly the only funny-ish bit.  I snickered at a few things - probably should have just rewatched UHF.  Though it will have your cis females googling “why is Daniel Radcliffe so jacked for a weird al movie?”

I thought it was great.  An absolute send up of the genre as a whole.  And yes, it has a couple flat moments, but those in no way impacted my overall enjoyment of the film.  

14 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I thought it was great.  An absolute send up of the genre as a whole.  And yes, it has a couple flat moments, but those in no way impacted my overall enjoyment of the film.  

You know what?  I value and respect that opinion. I did enjoy the movie and didn’t ever want to shut it off.  It wasn’t a bad movie, just not a laugh-out-loud comedy a la UHF (or his music, which I still love and laugh at)…I guess I was expecting something like “Walk Hard”.

If you like Weird Al, you’ll like and should see the movie.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

ETA--if I was a studio exec I would at least have asked for a recut w/out th flash forwards to see if some dramatic tension could be injected.

The flash forwards were among the most confusing things I've ever seen before. It made zero sense. 

Archived