Jump to content

Watch, Watched, Watching: Festival Time!


Zorral
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yesterday we watched The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window, which I had initially thought was i) a film and ii) going to be a flat out spoof which would be impossible to tolerate. So I thought I would stick it on for five minutes and see how it was, but unexpectedly we ended up watching all eight episodes in one go. Maybe we were just in the right mood for it or maybe they pitched the jokey elements just right, but it was actually fine?

I remember trying to like this, trying to work out if it was actually funny or not. It turns out it wasn't. The concept is good and the genre it was spoofing is ripe for jokes, but after a couple of episodes I didn't raise a smile and it really didn't seem to know what it was trying to do. Feels like a lot of Netflix comedy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I stumbled upon Avenue 5 while exploring the content of Sky X(Sky is sadly the only legal option to get HotD here). 

Parts of it are fun. I will stick with it as I suspect it might get decent once it finds its legs. I hope they kill the billionaire character.

The running gag about Hugh Laurie switching between accents is really amusing to someone who only one knew him has House originally (I only saw some of his incredible funny earlier work later).

Tried this, but didn't get beyond the second episode. Maybe it's the lack of swearing, but it didn't really feel like Iannucci and I just wasn't feeling it.

However, this clip has made me want to revisit:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Tried this, but didn't get beyond the second episode. Maybe it's the lack of swearing, but it didn't really feel like Iannucci and I just wasn't feeling it.

However, this clip has made me want to revisit:

 

 

It is definitly very flawed but it is getting some laughs out of me. I googled the guy you mentioned it it looks like this is first show by him that I have seen. 

They even mock their own low budget special effects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I googled the guy you mentioned it it looks like this is first show by him that I have seen. 

He is a genius. The Day Today, Alan Partridge, The Thick of It, In the Loop, Veep, The Death of Stalin, to name but a few.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some Came Running was perfectly acceptable light entertainment, if somewhat overpleased with itself's meta-ness.  One does enjoy all the actors, which is the point, one thinks, since there's nothing else there.

Hope the second Knives Out flick isn't too much like this.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally watched Mythic Quest. I'm not sure what took me so long other than "fuck apple for making another streaming service." I really liked it. I keep wanting to call it Mystic Quest though, because of that old Final Fantasy spinoff. 

I was sad to hear F. Murray Abraham left the show. But at least the new season starts soon. I don't understand why none of the Always Sunny cast's side projects have included any of the other the main actors. They're all clearly great friends and two of them are married. You'd think they'd pop in for guest roles.

I also noticed both Always Sunny and Mythic Quest have jokes about how tear (cry) and tear (to shreds) are spelled the same and it's confusing. Weird!

Also I've never seen McElhenney play a character who wasn't an asshole. Sunny, Mythic Quest, Lost, Fargo. All assholes.

I also started Cabinet of Curiosities but only finished the first two episodes so far. Pretty good. I don't like when creators insist on attaching their names to the titles of shit though. He's got a long name too! 

Spoiler

I thought it was weird that the hispanic woman hung around the storage place in the first one. Like obviously they wanted her there to give the guy his comeuppance at the end, but after he flat out told her no I don't get why she'd hang around? Also maybe I missed something but I'm not clear on why the dude summoned a demon? What did he get out of it? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I finally watched Mythic Quest. I'm not sure what took me so long other than "fuck apple for making another streaming service." I really liked it. I keep wanting to call it Mystic Quest though, because of that old Final Fantasy spinoff. 

I’ve been meaning to start Mythic Quest for ages, but haven’t yet, for whatever reason. I also had the same thought re apple streaming, but signed up in the end. Really enjoyed For All Mankind and absolutely loved Bad Sisters. Will try Mythic Quest… soon?

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I also started Cabinet of Curiosities but only finished the first two episodes so far. Pretty good. I don't like when creators insist on attaching their names to the titles of shit though. He's got a long name too! 

  Hide contents

I thought it was weird that the hispanic woman hung around the storage place in the first one. Like obviously they wanted her there to give the guy his comeuppance at the end, but after he flat out told her no I don't get why she'd hang around? Also maybe I missed something but I'm not clear on why the dude summoned a demon? What did he get out of it? 

 

Spoiler

Do you mean Tim Blake Nelson? He didn’t mean to summon the demon, he wanted to get to the 4th book b/c the other guy said that if they found it, he’d pay 300K for all 4. 
And he warned the guy not go go, not to break the line on the floor - was it a pentagram? Or whatever symbol it was… but TBN really wanted the 300K. 
I’m not sure that’s what you were referring to, so if not, my bad! 
oh and yeah, the woman waiting there was a bit odd

ETA missing word

Edited by kissdbyfire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’ve been meaning to start Mythic Quest for ages, but haven’t yet, for whatever reason. I also had the same thought re apple streaming, but signed up in the end. Really enjoyed For All Mankind and absolutely loved Bad Sisters. Will try Mythic Quest… soon?

  Hide contents

Do you mean Tim Blake Nelson? He didn’t mean to summon the demon, he wanted to get to the 4th book b/c the other guy said that if they found it, he’d pay 300K for all 4. 
And he warned the guy not go go, not to break the line on the floor - was it a pentagram? Or whatever symbol it was… but TBN really wanted the 300K. 
I’m not sure that’s what you were referring to, so if not, my bad! 
oh and yeah, the woman waiting there was a bit odd

ETA missing word

Spoiler

No I meant the old guy from the opening who sacrificed his sister to originally summon the demon. It didn't seem like he attained wealth, power, immortality, etc. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

No I meant the old guy from the opening who sacrificed his sister to originally summon the demon. It didn't seem like he attained wealth, power, immortality, etc. 

 

Spoiler

Ugh now I think I have to watch that ep again b/c I have no idea what you’re talking about! Like, zero recollection. :lmao:
 

eta: I remember the guy who wanted to by the books telling that story, but don’t remember any of it having been shown in the beginning 

 

Edited by kissdbyfire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:
  Hide contents

Ugh now I think I have to watch that ep again b/c I have no idea what you’re talking about! Like, zero recollection. :lmao:

 

Spoiler

The guy who owned the storage shed? I don't get why he did that little hopping thing before he went in either, now that I think about it. Maybe I should watch it again too!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

The guy who owned the storage shed? I don't get why he did that little hopping thing before he went in either, now that I think about it. Maybe I should watch it again too!

 

Spoiler

Oh right! I forgot all about that! I mean, it’s bad:

1 - I forgot all about the old guy who is chopping something up at the start

2 - forgot about him so completely that I didn’t even realise he was the one who sold his sister’s body to the demon

3 - forgot about the hops, but now I’m intrigued… they didn’t explain that at all, right?

defo gonna watch it again, and pay attending this time! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:
  Hide contents

Oh right! I forgot all about that! I mean, it’s bad:

1 - I forgot all about the old guy who is chopping something up at the start

2 - forgot about him so completely that I didn’t even realise he was the one who sold his sister’s body to the demon

3 - forgot about the hops, but now I’m intrigued… they didn’t explain that at all, right?

defo gonna watch it again, and pay attending this time! 

 

Spoiler

I don't think they explained the hops no, but I was playing a video game while watching so sometimes I miss stuff if it's a visual reveal. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

I don't think they explained the hops no, but I was playing a video game while watching so sometimes I miss stuff if it's a visual reveal. 

 

Yeah, I was playing, too. Miss a lot at times… :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok the third episode of Cabinet is my favorite so far, by far. Also I wasn't expecting to see Abraham again so soon after his last Mythic Quest episode. 

Spoiler

Are they all going to be about tentacle monsters? I'm hoping they're all supposed to take place in the same fictional world where these are a thing. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Ok the third episode of Cabinet is my favorite so far, by far. Also I wasn't expecting to see Abraham again so soon after his last Mythic Quest episode. 

  Hide contents

Are they all going to be about tentacle monsters? I'm hoping they're all supposed to take place in the same fictional world where these are a thing. 

 

Spoiler

The last two I watched were The Outside & Pickman’s Model , so eps 4 & 5. No tentacles in either one. :D
ETA: but no lack of monsters!

 

Edited by kissdbyfire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Tried this, but didn't get beyond the second episode. Maybe it's the lack of swearing, but it didn't really feel like Iannucci and I just wasn't feeling it.

However, this clip has made me want to revisit:

That clip will never get old. ETA: I can't remember but don't those people end up orbiting the ship with the massive poop cloud? I have to rewatch that episode. 

I'm loving the latest season of Avenue 5.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Anyone got this?

I really don't understand the impetus for the petition.  It states, "There are millions who were not able to watch Interstellar in Theaters."  Er...why weren't you able to watch it when it came out?  Is this just for people that were simply too young to see it at the time?  Not to mention I don't get why they're targeting the tenth anniversary when that's still two years away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...