MLB 2024: The Reign of Shohei

Myshkin

It's been a singularly emotional season in Redbird Land (at least since the All Star Game). I cried with joy at 700 and definitely again when Wainwright went off the field with Pujols and Molina at his sides. Whoof. What a moment. Ask anyone wearing a Cards cap and they're going to say they'll never forget 2022.

That said, boy are we in questionable shape going into the playoffs. The hottest hitter on the team is 42 (well, 44 really). Our pitching captain was so bad in September that they unequivocally need to leave him off the playoff roster, but won't. Now that I've said that, Wainwright will probably outpitch Kershaw in a couple weeks, because who the hell knows with this team.

The Dodgers and Braves are looking fearsome and deserve to duke it out in the NLCS (I hope it's us though).  I hope Judge hits 45 post season homers and Bader makes six diving outfield catches for the Yankees, because fuck the cheating Astros forever.

Pretty crazy that Judge tied Mookie Betts' 2018 in bWAR at 10.7.  They're tied for 22nd all time, and other than two of Bonds' steroid seasons, they're the highest since...Cal Ripken in 1991.  Who woulda thought?

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I decided to watch a bit of the baseball that’s on at a reasonable time in the UK. At first I was a bit bored with lack of scoring between Cleveland and Tampa Bay but it’s become quite hypnotic now. How long can they keep going?

Should have watched Seattle-Toronto. This shit is nuts. 8-1 lead is now 9-9 in the 8th.

The Blue Jay's collapse takes a tiny bit of the sting off the Cardinal's complete meltdown in the 9th last night. If they lose again tonight of course this doesn't apply, but for now it's how I'm coping. Hell of a game.

DeGrom is dealing at Citi. So far it's a hell of a day for baseball! A 15 inning game and an 8 run comeback?!

Edit

Not going to dwell on it but what a colossal loss for the Cards. I'm gutted and fuck sports for winter.

Good luck to you Dodgers and Yankees nerds. I'm rooting for the Mariners full stop. 

Edited by Argonath Diver

Age comes for us all eventually. Crazy that he's 37.

I feel terrible for Mariner fans -- what an insane gut punch. Their bullpen has been so good all year and to blow it there -- ugh. Should've left Gilbert in there longer.

On 10/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, Myshkin said:

Fucking M’s, get your shit together!

Speak for yourself. Goblin sweat is going to be in high supply tonight. Please let us know if you're also serving some lemonbooty.