MLB 2024: The Reign of Shohei

Myshkin

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Because it was an obvious missed call and he had both his challenges.  I suppose you can blame his review team too, but there's absolutely no reason to bring in market-size.  It's not like it was a key play either.  They overturn that (or simply call it correctly to begin with), and there's still a 99.9% chance the Yanks win the game.

I think it's much more prevalent in the NBA.  But even if you're right generally, again, if you actually watched the game you can't tell me this was an example of that.  It's just petulant whining.

I thought the all caps made it obvious I was joking. No, the Yankees didn't bribe the ump and also no, Manfred didn't order the code red, though if you told him he could and get away with it I'm not sure what he'd do. And yes, the Yankees win that game if the the ump makes the right call. It's just a bad look because I thought it looked clear in real speed. 

I think it's just more perceived in the NBA because it seems so obvious, but it's true across sports that big markets and big time players get help from the zebras. Brady has been good for at least three phantom calls per game for a decade now, and most star QBs get bailed out at least once in a game. With baseball, I think it's more evident with pitching. The inconsistency with strike zones between pitchers and the shifts between innings are suspicious, hence why we need to welcome in our robot ump overlords already.

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk how you can say it's solely on Francona when the umps completely missed the call and everyone expect Terry and his review team saw it.

Anyways, I think it's pretty hard to deny that the umps know what MLB wants and that does impact how they call the game, even if it's in the margins. Hence why it was an open joke across sports media yesterday and today that the fix was in. And to be clear, I wanted the Yankees to win, just like The Fred Man did. 

Just to be clear, when Gleyber rocked the baby it wasn’t just for Naylor and the Cleveland bench, but for the Twins  as well. WE ARE YOUR PLAYOFFS DADDY!!

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I did too!  But then I said "I hope this isn't serious" and you kept on responding.

I was serious about my beliefs of unconscious bias among refs in all sports. I'll die on that hill. It's just funny as I mentioned that there was a lot of talk about a fix and then that play happened. :P

So glad Bader is shining bright out in the Bronx. Monty helped pitch the Cards into the (utter disaster) of a post-season. I like a win-win trade. Still nervous about the plantar fascitis for a guy whose entire skillset is speed and agility, but if it doesn't flare up, I think he's a terrific fit next to Judge out there.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:01 PM, Arakasi said:

Well looks like the ALCS is over. Hard to see anyone upsetting the Astros at this point.

It certainly looks that way. But one never truly knows until Elvis leaves the building.

Bregman and Gurriel seem to be on a hot streak since the postseason started and doesn’t look like they’ll stop. 

that being said how about that Harper tho. He truly earned that MVP. 43 at bats for the postseason and his numbers are sky high. He was always good with the Nats but he just sold out just before they won it all! I root for him and thus with the Phillies come what may!

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'll buy you a whiskey at the loser's lounge. 

K thanks I'll need a refill in about a half hour. 

Didn't watch much of this series.  Like I said a week ago, it was pretty clear they were done when they went down 2-1 to Cleveland.  I didn't mean they couldn't come back against Cleveland, but rather there was no way this version of the team was gonna matchup to Houston.  Bullpen is too shaky and the bats just aren't there even if Judge went all Superman.  Instead he had a terrible series after a pretty bad Cleveland series.