Formalities and internal disciplinary actions taken by the Citadel

Anna Lannister

Hi guys and girls!

I have some questions about procedures in the Citadel.

- What would be the punishment for a student of the Citadel that kills another fellow student? Would it be harsher if the victim is a Maester? 

- What if the killer acts in proven self-defense? Is it taken into account when judging the facts? A self-defense against a Maester would weight just as self-defense against a novice, acolyte or even a Gran Maester?

Another one, maybe more trickier:

- Do the Citadel really check manhood of applying students? A woman perfectly disguised as man could be able to join the Citadel and grow on its ranks? Maybe even becoming a Grand Maester?

If so, what could possibly be the punishment for a student who somehow is revealed to be a woman? Would her rank on the Citadel or status on the world (being part of an influential family, for example) make any difference?

Thanks for taking time to answer it! :)

(Copied my post from the previous thread in the other section)

I assume for all of these they would be expelled from the Citadel at the very least, unless they could prove it was in self defence, and even then if it was a noble that attacked them they might be expelled anyway, to avoid offending the family.

For the girl thing I'm assuming that they just go on appearance, since Sarella has been there a while and so far nothing has happened.

I am curious as to whether the Citadel has it's own justice/punishment system like the Watch, or whether the guilty acolyte would be expelled and then dealt with by the Oldtown authorities. 

On 10/4/2022 at 8:17 PM, Craving Peaches said:

(...)

For the girl thing I'm assuming that they just go on appearance, since Sarella has been there a while and so far nothing has happened.

Yes, you are right about Sarella! :) 

I wonder if she is exposed and expelled, would it be a public act or they would try to keep it as low profile as possible?

Would it be seen as an act of villainy and she would be despised on the Citadel and Oldtown (and maybe on Westeros, as news travels)?

Lastly, even though she is a bastard, if it is exposed, would it bring shame to the Martell?

On 10/4/2022 at 9:17 PM, Craving Peaches said:

I am curious as to whether the Citadel has it's own justice/punishment system like the Watch, or whether the guilty acolyte would be expelled and then dealt with by the Oldtown authorities. 

There has to be.

Qyburn supposedly did terrible things, (more than likely things he should've been executed for normally), and his punishment was stripping him of his chains.

I assume it was the Citadel itself dealing with the issue, and also protecting it's own reputation by not going too hard on him.

3 hours ago, annalannister said:

I wonder if she is exposed and expelled, would it be a public act or they would try to keep it as low profile as possible?

Probably low profile like they did with Qyburn, to avoid brining shame to the Citadel.

Lastly, even though she is a bastard, if it is exposed, would it bring shame to the Martell?

Possibly, although Doran himself doesn't seem that bothered.

Would it be seen as an act of villainy and she would be despised on the Citadel and Oldtown (and maybe on Westeros, as news travels)?

I think it depends. Traditionalists would see it as such, but other people might appreciate her boldness/bravery in risking discovery by infiltrating the Citadel.

Archived