Worst to best: Eddard, Jon, Robb

Daeron the Daring

6 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

I would put Aenys Frey as the worst, but maybe it's just me.

At least he isn't implied to have murdered his fellow Freys. 

Though ironically one of the least unsympathetic Freys, Big Walder, is most likely a kinslayer too if he did kill Little Walder because of how Little was turning into a Ramsay Jr. 

On 10/4/2022 at 11:38 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Beheading Rickard Karstark was a terrible mistake which had the most common alternative we've seen in the series, being sent to Night's Watch.

Leave aside the murder of the squires, and Karstark is still a mutineer and traitor.

Robb would have been well within his rights to execute both squires.  The Geneva Conventions don’t apply.  Robb could decide to offer no quarter to the enemy.

By accepting a surrender, Robb has placed the boys under his protection.  By murdering people to whom Robb has granted mercy, Karstark is making his king a liar, in the eyes of the world.  By murdering Tully guards, he’s compounding the offence.

The punishment for treason and mutiny is death.

24 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Leave aside the murder of the squires, and Karstark is still a mutineer and traitor.

Robb would have been well within his rights to execute both squires.  The Geneva Conventions don’t apply.  Robb could decide to offer no quarter to the enemy.

By accepting a surrender, Robb has placed the boys under his protection.  By murdering people to whom Robb has granted mercy, Karstark is making his king a liar, in the eyes of the world.  By murdering Tully guards, he’s compounding the offence.

The punishment for treason and mutiny is death.

Plus Rickard had also already ordered his troops to desert the Northern army.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:34 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Rickard Karstark is a lord in a Medieval setting, a powerful one by Westerosi standards and likely among the top three in his region(after Manderly and Dustin, nope, Roose is a strong lord but isn't as powerful as these, he only played his hand well). I'd say people disregard the differences between those times and value events, acts, etc with our modern standards but even today if you are, rich, powerful, influential etc. you can avoid punishment or get off easy. Also NW is an acceptable punishment, especially for highborn, buth for the "criminal" and the punisher.

Rickard had openly mutined by murdering two hostages, killed Tully men, ordered his men to leave and insulted and spited Robb in front of his other bannermen. 

There was no mercy going to happen to him, no matter what, and I doubt Rickard wanted mercy anyway, he wanted to force Robb to execute him while doing the most damage to him possible. 

If Rickard had already ordered his men to desert no matter what then it would make no difference whether Robb executed him or sent him to the watch - either way he's lost their support.

From a political point of view I could understand sending him to the watch, however he has murdered two child hostages in cold blood so I can't really fault Robb for executing him.

Archived