DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

45 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

She cries or almost cries several times throughout the movie.  Don't get me wrong, I love Rebecca Ferguson's casting, but I thought they made her a little too fragile seeming.  I did watch the trailer for Dune II about 10 times yesterday.

I suspect without the inner monologues they have to use other methods to express what’s going on in characters heads. The film is pretty cold emotionally as it is. 

50 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I suspect without the inner monologues they have to use other methods to express what’s going on in characters heads. The film is pretty cold emotionally as it is. 

Yeah, it's certainly not a perfect adaptation by any means.  They erred a little too much on the big cool space opera stuff with not quite enough of the human drama.

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't recall Jessica crying all the time. The only scene where she looks vulnerable is the Gom Jabbar scene.

There’s like two scenes: she’s feeling some emotional distress during the gom jabbar scene; because her son could die or something, and in the stilltent when she learns Leto is dead, because she loves him or something.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Current run time for Dune Part 2 is 3 hours 15 minutes.

Imma need an intermission or a stillsuit if I intend to make it through that in the theater.

This is a point in time where I wish they would bring back ‘extended cuts’ of movies. I don’t want to really sit in a theatre for that long, but at home with a DVD I’d be up for a longer, more in depth version of a movie that has more flesh on it. It’s a shame they don’t really do that now. 

I dunno, I could have easily tolerated an additional 30 minutes of Dune Part 1.

3h 15m is roughly the same length as Avatar 2. Fine, fine. I can piss when I’m dead. 

Sheesh you guys. “We want Dune. Moar Dune! No that’s too much Dune.” There’s no pleasing some people.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

Current run time for Dune Part 2 is 3 hours 15 minutes.

Imma need an intermission or a stillsuit if I intend to make it through that in the theater.

I wish it was longer….if Peter Jackson could make an 8 hour movie series on a 200 page children’s book, this seems quite reasonable to me by comparison considering how dense Dune is.

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I wish it was longer….if Peter Jackson could make an 8 hour movie series on a 200 page children’s book, this seems quite reasonable to me by comparison considering how dense Dune is.

If Peter Jackson had made 8 watchable hours, I might mayhaps agree.  And while I'm sure they want to finish in the black with Dune, it's no where near the cash grab that The Hobbit film fanfic was.

If the second part is going to be over three hours why didnt they just make this a trilogy form the jump? They cut out enough development in the first movie to have made for another hour or so. 

2 hours ago, Relic said:

If the second part is going to be over three hours why didnt they just make this a trilogy form the jump? They cut out enough development in the first movie to have made for another hour or so. 

There probably is only so much of his career he wants to dedicate to Dune. He plans on making Messiah after this. Considering that the continuation of each succeeding entry is entirely predicated on the success of the preceding movie, that's a lot of time to make this series.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Do I correctly recall that they hadn't even committed to a sequel when they made the first movie?  I remember the movie ending and feeling like it was a bold decision to end it there with no definite follow up.

33 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Do I correctly recall that they hadn't even committed to a sequel when they made the first movie?  I remember the movie ending and feeling like it was a bold decision to end it there with no definite follow up.

Yes. And Dune Messiah will only be made if Dune Part 2 is a success.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I'm sure the plan was for two movies for a long time, but then the pandemic happened, the movie kept getting delayed and its costs were high, and fewer people went to the cinema. So I'm sure WB hesitated to approve the second movie until the release of the 1st.

19 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Isn't Dune just the kind of super dense 'world' that studios might want to create an ongoing franchise around?  A whole world of prequels, sequels and interesting side characters and planets.  

It’s not really a franchise that is going to sell toys and lunch boxes though is it. It’s not Marvel superheroes. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It’s not really a franchise that is going to sell toys and lunch boxes though is it. It’s not Marvel superheroes. 

A lot of the characters are archetypes that would fit well with merchandising, witch, hero(s), warrior(s), maiden, even if the material is more adult than Marvel.  It just seems in an industry that appears nearly devoid of any organic creativity, that Dune is right there, a vast, vast array of IP.

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Isn't Dune just the kind of super dense 'world' that studios might want to create an ongoing franchise around?  A whole world of prequels, sequels and interesting side characters and planets.  

I think it could be. But they'd need to jettison the books entirely. The rest of the original series is too weird, and the various books written by his son are trash.

I think there'd be too much controversy over changing the existing story of the sequels. But there are a lot of interesting hooks for side stories and prequel stories if the movies do well enough, and I don't think anyone would care if there was ground already tread by the son's books that were ignored.

• Corvinus85 changed the title to DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)