DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

I see the old thread has been closed.

There's news about the Sisterhood show: https://deadline.com/2022/10/dune-the-sisterhood-emily-watson-amp-shirley-henderson-hbo-max-series-1235135004/

Emily Watson (Chernobyl, God’s Creatures) and Shirley Henderson (Harry Potter, Stan & Ollie) will lead the cast of HBO Max’s Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), from Legendary Television.

The series, which is based on Frank Herbert’s classic novel, is set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides and follows the Harkonnen Sisters, played by Watson and Henderson, as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

So we're getting The Butlerian Jihad, but likely they'll not say the word jihad just like they avoided in the movie.

Edited by Corvinus85

21 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Sounds like it's based directly on the horseshit prequel books. Urgh.

I wrote but never posted a bit about this, to summarize in a less insane bit:

If you're not going to do Sheeana... (I dream they're saving the Frank texts for film by the likes of Villeneuve to be followed by Ridley Scott doing Children of Dune, Christopher Nolan can do God Emperor of Dune (he's got the temperament for it), and we will get George Miller for Heretics. I trust him to do something good with the radical feminists who are using sex to produce a melange substitute (:wub:). I'm saving Chapterhouse so I can't recommend who should direct.)... then some kind of Bene Gesserit prequel could be a real fun dalliance with the sisterhood. 

But tying it to the butlerian jihad is folly in the highest order. You're no longer making a Bene Gesserit show, you're making a machine war show.

Might as well go watch The Matrix 

Edited by Firebrand Jace

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm not familiar with the material this show may to trying to adapt, but one positive I'll take from the news is the casting.

Well if they are using the prequels, on the bright side they probably couldn't make them worse... and HBO does make good stuff. I wonder how they intend to balance that. I'm not enthused but I thought HotD would suck too and I'm loving that.

37 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Apparently the show deals with the founding of the order. I guess they were a bit looser with the rules back then. 

If KJA and Brian Herbert are involved… it will be… problematic.  I know HBO does good stuff but I still don’t understand how a capital “G” God could be contained by a cage of lithium…

16 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Huh?  Sisters of the Bene Gesseritt aren’t told their heritage…

Certainly I struggle to imagine the Sisterhood allowing sisters to be told of their relation, it would threaten a relation that might supercede the relation to (ironically) the Sisterhood.

Though off that you could do something with the two discovering their shared parentage on their own, having conflicted loyalties... but to what point and purpose? It seems like a convoluted conception for a space machine war program

• Corvinus85 changed the title to DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)
  • Ran locked this topic