DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

53 minutes ago, farerb said:

Do you think Villeneuve will make Children of Dune?

I would love him to, but I don't think it will work. Dune itself can be set out in a much more mainstream way, I don't see blockbuster audiences finding a lot of fun in the 2 sequel books. Maybe another tv series would work.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I would love him to, but I don't think it will work. Dune itself can be set out in a much more mainstream way, I don't see blockbuster audiences finding a lot of fun in the 2 sequel books. Maybe another tv series would work.

He said he wanted to do Dune Messiah if Warner/Legendary let him.

4 minutes ago, farerb said:

He said he wanted to do Dune Messiah if Warner/Legendary let him.

I don't really love the book, but I also don't think it especially translates well to screen. I've watched the SyFy version and that has a lot of issues. Children of Dune I think there is at least some promise there. Really I don't know how engaged audience will be with it, guess it depends on how Dune pt2 goes.

45 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Indira Varma has joined the cast of Dune: Sisterhood

What character?

ETA:

Oh… the Brian Herbert KJA fan fiction crap… maybe HBO can turn it into something decent.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/3/2023 at 6:25 PM, Myrddin said:

I haven't seen Elvis yet, so it is really hard for me to erase Shannara as the first mental picture when I see Austin Butler mentioned. But I'm looking forward to the palate cleanser. :) 

Elvis is a terrible atrocity of a film, but Butler was the one redeeming factor in it. He's definitely capable of more than what was shown in Shannara.

• 1 month later...

Folks are in town for the weekend- sister showed up with my nephew 

First words out of the boy's mouth, no lie...

"I wanna watch Duuune!" 

He's 43 months old, if I'm not mistaken about his birthdate

Yes, he knows which one is "Duuune" and immediately pointed to the box art which was actually laying half-covered underneath a book. Pulled the disc out of my hand (creating smudge prints that I then had to clean off :rolleyes: ) in his haste to put it in the PS4. 

I couldn't love this kid more if Muad'dib ordered me to. 

Fuck those witches and their breeding programs, my sister and her dweeby husband already produced a Kwisatz Haderach :bowdown:

Seriously, this kid is 3.5 years old and can use Ridiculous, Awesome, and a host of other pretty complex words accurately. Literally just today, actually while I stepped into the bathroom to clean the Duuune disc I was speaking anecdotally to my mother in the living room the boy followed me and -after waiting politely for a break in the conversation- said "Jalen you use a lot of big words when you talk." And in a way that made it clear he was following the conversation, and comprehended through context what the words I was using mean. Nothing crazy, I'm not walking around like Sheldon Cooper when talking to my mother or nothing. But this kid :grouphug:

And that's not to short-change his sister, who is sharp as a whip and gonna be a helluvan athelete in addition- this is just the Duuune thread 

And I know I'm not just talking up my own relations, because that sister had a school thing we went to this evening. Six and seven and eight year olds. And the 3.5 year old, my nephew, had more to say about what was going on than a single one of those kids. Had observations about what was going on and demanded a book from the fare.

Not everything is salt 

Edited by Secretary of Eumenes

I recently finished reading (or listening to) the two sequel books to Dune. 

I don’t see how the movies would ever continue this story or translate it to screen. Or why they ever would. The story is so dense and non cinematic. It’s a recipe for a loss making production. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t see how the movies would ever continue this story or translate it to screen. Or why they ever would. The story is so dense and non cinematic. It’s a recipe for a loss making production. 

The Children of Dune three part Mini-series done by SciFi Channel (James McAvoy’s first big role) is actually quite well done and cinematic.  I think it is better than the SciFi version of Dune.  So… if Villeneuve retains control I have confidence he can equal or surpass that production.  What is hard for film goers is that Paul Maud’ dib Atreides fades rapidly from the story as those sequals progress.  It isn’t the traditional progression for western stories.

;) 

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Children of Dune three part Mini-series done by SciFi Channel (James McAvoy’s first big role) is actually quite well done and cinematic.  I think it is better than the SciFi version of Dune.  So… if Villeneuve retains control I have confidence he can equal or surpass that production.  What is hard for film goers is that Paul Maud’ dib Atreides fades rapidly from the story as those sequals progress.  It isn’t the traditional progression for western stories.

;) 

Yes I have seen that, but in reality it’s very bad. I recently rewatched it and it’s almost entirely unwatchable except for McAvoy. I used to give it credit because for  SYFY thing it wasn’t terrible but I take it back.

I cannot imagine how this works in the context of the latest movie or why a general audience would watch it. It’s simply too alienating for most people. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

26 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

;) 

Wait till he finds out about 

Spoiler

The worm with the giant penis

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

;) 

God-Emperor of Dune is utterly unadaptable.

The last two are more of a basic action-adventure story (by Herbert's series) with random evil nymphomaniac nuns. They are more easily adaptable.