DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

God-Emperor of Dune is utterly unadaptable.

The last two are more of a basic action-adventure story (by Herbert's series) with random evil nymphomaniac nuns. They are more easily adaptable.

I was describing God Emperor of Dune to my friends, about a week ago and they were wondering if I was on drugs, lol

I told them I wasn't, but I was pretty sure Frank Herbert was, lol

29 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The last two are more of a basic action-adventure story (by Herbert's series) with random evil nymphomaniac nuns. They are more easily adaptable.

They are not easy adaptations and I don’t see them having mainstream appeal in a way the first movie sort of had. 

They just require a lot of investment in the universe and material to do them justice, a casual viewer is going to wonder what they hell it’s all about and find themselves very bored.

You couldn’t turn them into a boys own adventure style movie in a way you sort of can with the first book. If you attempted to make them more mainstream you’d probably remove much of meaning of the books

1 hour ago, Farerb said:

Didn't Villeneuve say that he only wanted to adapt Dune and Dune Messiah as a trilogy?

Yeah, it was weird. That's an incomplete story, the narrative continues and concludes in Children of Dune (you can easily stop there, you don't need to do the latter three books). Doing just Dune and Messiah will leave the story hanging, to a certain extent.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

As I’ve gotten older I’ve really grown to enjoy GEoD (I didn’t much enjoy it as a tween).  It is subtle and misleads the reader in all the right ways.  But I agree adapting that to the screen would be incredibly difficult.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

GEoD certainly would be adaptable. One would have to use brains to do it, actually understand what it is about and figure out ways how one can transfer the core elements of the stories to the screen. There certainly are ways to do that in film.

8 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

GEoD certainly would be adaptable. One would have to use brains to do it, actually understand what it is about and figure out ways how one can transfer the core elements of the stories to the screen. There certainly are ways to do that in film.

I think it'd work best as a ten episode series. You could use it as a transition point from doing Children of Dune as a movie and continuing the rest of the story in 1 hour installments. 

You open and close each episode with the God Emperor lecturing Moneo or Siona about the attrocities we just spent the middle-parts witnessing. Hear the God Emperor's justifications of his actions, Moneo's capitulating complicity, Duncan's disgust, and Siona's rebellion 

If I were writing it I'd always start the episode with Moneo being the recipient of the God Emperor's lies, then he puts them into motion over the course of the episode. End each episode with alternating between Duncan and Siona getting the post-facto justifications for what has happened and rejecting them. Duncan internally, Siona outright. 

It could be done.

• 1 month later...

Is Dune 2 rated R? Gurney Halleck sure is covered in a lot of blood. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Some new images are out.

Is it just me, or does Florence Pugh wearing that skullcap look like the princess from Neverending Story?

This is almost exactly what I was expecting. In keeping with a lack of ornamentation and restrained aesthetic of the first film. 

This is the project Dune sound designer has produced after coming off Dune I:

The interview with the filmmakers-sound engineers begins with with how the project was first inspired -- Sam Green learned of Annea Lockwood, whom Partner and composers speak of often, and spent a lot of time with her. Later they speak of John Cage.

A new documentary explores the power of sound in various aspects of our lives, and provides a unique theater viewing experience complete with personal sets of headphones.
www.wnyc.org

An immersive documentary and profound sensory experience from filmmaker Sam Green that explores the elemental phenomenon of sound. The film is a meditation on the power of sound to bend time, cross borders, and profoundly shape our perception of the world around us.
32sounds.com

Edited by Zorral