DUNE (Part 1 Spoilers and News)

Corvinus85

Well that trailer rocked.

Not sure about Feyd's look. I get the imagery that Villeneuve is going for with the Harknonnens, but the Baron intended to cast Feyd as the savior of Arrakis following Rabban's brutal regime. Plus we have a fairly detailed physical description of him in the book. That being said, Austin Butler will likely be great in the role.

9 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Well that trailer rocked.

Not sure about Feyd's look. I get the imagery that Villeneuve is going for with the Harknonnens, but the Baron intended to cast Feyd as the savior of Arrakis following Rabban's brutal regime. Plus we have a fairly detailed physical description of him in the book. That being said, Austin Butler will likely be great in the role.

Sunblock. Lots of sunblock… and a big hat… under a massive umbrella. 
He’d be positively incandescent under that sun. My god.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

I’m not sure why I’m not more excited by this movie. Love the books, thought I really liked the first part of this, but somehow the whole thing leaves me cold.

I feel like maybe there was something lacking in that first movie that just doesn’t get me going. I’ve tried rewatching a few times, and I’m awed by the scale of it and the way it looks.. and then I get bored. 

Feyd was a pro swimmer? Who knew?

I agree that the first film - Dune: Part One (2021) that is - had some major problems. It looked amazing but it felt like it was missing a lot of depth. My problems with it were Hans fucking Zimmer going completely out of control (never before I have wanted to scream SHUT UP when the music went berserk during a movie for no apparent reason) and a complete lack of characterisation for several key characters, including Thufir, de Vries and worst of all, Dr. Yueh. Also, too much Duncan Idaho. I like Jason Momoa as much as the next guy, but seriously, he does fuck all in this story and then dies, but it felt like they focused too much on him because of his star power to the detriment of other key players. Dr. Yueh's betrayal is one of the most amazing highlights of David Lynch's version, because Dean Stockwell's performance is so fantastic, and in this version it's a complete nothingburger because the writing isn't there to support it.

Also, with no exaggeration, the throat-singing Sardaukar drum and bass party on Salusa Secundus was simultaneously the greatest and worst scene in the entire history of cinema, simultaneously.

Dune: Part One did not make an overwhelming case for it being superior to the Lynch version, to be honest. I suspect Part Two (covering the bit where Lynch really dropped the ball in his film) should fairly effortlessly overcome that issue, though.

There is a real lack of an emotional hook to the first movie which is why I struggle with it. On paper though that isn’t true because it does try to establish relationships between the Atreidie. Also I like all the actors in it… its just that it feels very clinical. The Lynch version at least had this wierd fucking quality like you are coming off drugs, even if it is actually a bad movie. 

I also felt the way new Dune ended didn’t help it. The pacing just died in that last 30 minutes. Maybe watching both movies back to back will improve matters. Time will tell.

Edited by Heartofice

13 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

"May thy knife chip and shatter." 

I too was a friend of Jamis

*Stilgar explains why he was a friend of Jamis and turns to Paul expecting him to do the same*
*Paul, teabagging Jamis’ corpse* 

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

On 5/2/2023 at 10:43 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

You win this round, Flo Pu. You win this round. 

I was curious how she'd look in the role. Midsommar was great, but the casting in the TV show is so perfect to me that I imagined a pixie of a princess in the role. 

This, though. 

Ahooooooooo! :drool:

A worthy object of Chani's ire. 

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Dune: Part One did not make an overwhelming case for it being superior to the Lynch version, to be honest. I suspect Part Two (covering the bit where Lynch really dropped the ball in his film) should fairly effortlessly overcome that issue, though.

Are you high?

Dune part 1 was infinitely better.

While I agree that it was a bit thin on exposition in places, (eg. Yueh’s betrayal kind of came out of nowhere), it’s preferable to the alternative which is way too much. My god the voice overs in the Lynch version are painful to listen to.

One of the things I love about Villeneuve is that he crates these amazing set pieces and then had no problem obscuring them in smoke or fog or whatever. Whatever works for the film

In the Lynch version we have Paul walk over to a table with a polished gold box containing an array of slender turds; the camera follows Paul’s hand as he retrieves some similarly glossy instrument, scans the box and replaces the instrument in its charger; then he reaches in and retrieves one of the turds; taking a bite; then a voiceover, “Spice!”

Like, “GET IT?!?” And it goes on like that.

regarding the 2021 film, we know there were a lot of scenes that were cut for time. After part 2 has its run I think there’s a good chance a special edition will be released with that stuff restored. 

19 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Tighten up your stillsuit.

I was going to make a pithy comment about Flo Po and tightness in the suit, but reconsidered.

LBJ had tightness in his suits. Especially in the crotch. He needed a lot of room if you catch my meaning. There’s audio of him talking to some flunky about buying some pants he liked and he goes on at length about it. Apparently he loved to show off at pool parties.

LBJ succeeded JFK and, of course, preceded Nixon. Frank Herbert once described Nixon as the most important president because he taught people to distrust government. This informed his books.  I knew I’d tie this back to Dune somehow. 

Ha! Nailed it.

19 hours ago, Werthead said:

Feyd was a pro swimmer? Who knew?

I agree that the first film - Dune: Part One (2021) that is - had some major problems. It looked amazing but it felt like it was missing a lot of depth. My problems with it were Hans fucking Zimmer going completely out of control (never before I have wanted to scream SHUT UP when the music went berserk during a movie for no apparent reason) and a complete lack of characterisation for several key characters, including Thufir, de Vries and worst of all, Dr. Yueh. Also, too much Duncan Idaho. I like Jason Momoa as much as the next guy, but seriously, he does fuck all in this story and then dies, but it felt like they focused too much on him because of his star power to the detriment of other key players. Dr. Yueh's betrayal is one of the most amazing highlights of David Lynch's version, because Dean Stockwell's performance is so fantastic, and in this version it's a complete nothingburger because the writing isn't there to support it.

Also, with no exaggeration, the throat-singing Sardaukar drum and bass party on Salusa Secundus was simultaneously the greatest and worst scene in the entire history of cinema, simultaneously.

So much of Dune involves explicit internal monologues and thoughts it makes it very difficult to translate to the screen without the “hushed whispers” used as “thoughts in the 1984 “Dune”.  The Villeneuve film isn’t perfect but it’s far from bad.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So much of Dune involves explicit internal monologues and thoughts it makes it very difficult to translate to the screen without the “hushed whispers” used as “thoughts in the 1984 “Dune”.  The Villeneuve film isn’t perfect but it’s far from bad.

It's certainly not "bad" from a technical standpoint, but it does have major issues in structure, characterisation (and one of Zimmer's most overwrought soundtracks) which a lot of people seem very happy to overlook.

I would very comfortably rate it as the weakest of Villeneuve's SF adaptation trifecta (Arrival and Blade Runner 2049). It'll be interesting to see what he does with Rendezvous with Rama next.