NZers and Aussies: Switching it up

The Anti-Targ

14 hours ago, Paxter said:

Energy - new price caps announced that producers hate (and may have long-term negative impacts), but retail and business customers will enjoy

Will be interesting how this plays out. The major objection doesn't seem to be the temporary price caps, more the code of conduct which gives the government power to override contracts and set domestic market supply share and pricing in perpetuity.

The gas industry says it'll kill investment. Otoh the domestic market is comparatively small, and there's still plenty of $$ to be made at $12/gj - they're selling to Japan at $9.

As you all know, I am an enduring pessimist on matters concerning social justice in Australia.

But I think I hit a nadir this week re-listening to Keating's 1992 Redfern speech, which was featured on a historical article on the ABC website. The speech is, of course, better than any of his contemporaries or successors could ever have managed.

But the concluding line "I am confident that we will succeed in this decade" made my stomach turn. Fast forward 30 years and many of the measures currently being tracked through initiatives such as Closing the Gap are actually getting worse (e.g. around 6% of all Aboriginal kids have been removed from the care of their parents; around 2% of all Aboriginal adults are in prison - both way off target and trending negatively). 

Edited by Paxter

2 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Update on the meetup for tomorrow:

Meet up at Mountain Goat Newtown around 4pm-ish (pretty close from Newtown Station)

Head off to dins around 6.30pm to Konak Turkish Restaurant (a short walk from Mountain Goat)

No Tamana’s? Sacrilege.

Though I think it changed name anyway, which is equally profane.

@The Winged Shadow Sorry - I saw your earlier post but I can't make it!

I had the wonderful news of being COVID positive on Christmas Day of all days...feeling better now, but still RATted positive today. The kids got through it quickly, my wife is still under the pump though.

16 hours ago, Jeor said:

@The Winged Shadow Sorry - I saw your earlier post but I can't make it!

I had the wonderful news of being COVID positive on Christmas Day of all days...feeling better now, but still RATted positive today. The kids got through it quickly, my wife is still under the pump though.

Hope you all bounce back swiftly.

My grandmother is currently confined to her room in her aged care centre due to simultaneous COVID, scabies and gastro outbreaks. No visitors permitted indefinitely. What a life.

Terrible start to the year for people living in the Fitzroy Valley, with an historic flood causing widespread devastation to homes and property in a very isolated part of the State. 

I have a lot of sympathy for the government departments charged with responding to the crisis, as resources are extremely limited and services are patchy so many kms from Perth. But based on the coverage so far, they aren’t exactly covering themselves in glory in terms of engagement with the local Aboriginal community (which is the majority of the population). 

Albo is up there now, which will hopefully assist with channeling financial and other support to the region.

Edited by Paxter

On 1/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, Paxter said:

To start the new year: a cogent argument in favour of Labor’s approach to this year’s likely referendum (by Constitutional supremo Anne Twomey).

Let’s not fuck this one up!

And happy new year to all of our Antipodean borders.

What the hell kind of constitutional change is this?

When it comes to the proposed constitutional amendment for an Indigenous Voice to parliament and the government, the people are being asked to approve what is in the amendment. That involves the establishment of a body, to be called the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice, which may make representations to parliament and the executive government on matters relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. The purpose behind it is to allow parliament and the government to be better informed when making decisions affecting Indigenous Australians.

This reads like basically a body will be set up, with membership comprising Aboriginal Australians and Torres Strait Islanders who can...tell the govt what they think on a limited range of issues and...the govt can completely ignore them if it doesn't like what they have to say?

Seems pretty toothless and quite an indictment that a constitutional referendum is needed to create a consultative body with no actual power to help determine the future and welfare of the people it represents. That a constitutional change is needed to protect the existence of a consultative body with no power feels like Australia has a long way to go with indigenous relations. Then again we do have a constitutional document in the form of a treaty with Maori, without which I think colonist-indigenous relations would be complete shit for Maori. But at least that constitutional document has the power to force the govt's hand, and right the wrongs of the past. 

Or am I missing some detail where the Voice will actually have meaningful influence?

49 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That a constitutional change is needed to protect the existence of a consultative body with no power feels like Australia has a long way to go with indigenous relations.

Yup!

And no, I don’t think you’re missing any salient details.

Edited by Paxter