Favorite Historical Influences?

Bobby B. VIII

For me, the use of actual historical figures and events as the basis for much of ASoIaF was one of the main factors that attracted me to the series and the fictional history an d lore that surrounds it. I have always been drawn to both Fantasy and Medieval History, so the use of the "Wars of the Roses" and House Plantagenet cadet branches; York and Lancaster as Stark and Lannister, respectively, has always been on of my favorite references to real-world history. This is only the tip of the iceberg though. Roman, Norse, Egyptian, and several other cultures have lent influence as well. I would love to know other peoples favorites as well. 

5 hours ago, Bobby B. VIII said:

For me, the use of actual historical figures and events as the basis for much of ASoIaF was one of the main factors that attracted me to the series and the fictional history an d lore that surrounds it. I have always been drawn to both Fantasy and Medieval History, so the use of the "Wars of the Roses" and House Plantagenet cadet branches; York and Lancaster as Stark and Lannister, respectively, has always been on of my favorite references to real-world history. This is only the tip of the iceberg though. Roman, Norse, Egyptian, and several other cultures have lent influence as well. I would love to know other peoples favorites as well. 

I love a lot of his myth (I just wish we had more of it).

The idea of Old Gods being replaced by New gods in a lot of cultures in Europe and middle east. The Old God typically being more earthly gods, while the new ones are a warring type. 

How he tied the Old Gods to the Myth of the Green Man from England, as something the Elves worshiped before man came was awesome. Along with the Idea it was man and Elf who fell in love and gave rise to a special line of Kings (Gemstone Emperors). The Red and Blue magic trees in Westeros and Essos makes me think of the Two Trees in the Garden of Eden also.

The New Gods, being tied to the "Falling Star/ Morning Star" mythos associated around Lucifer and Jesus was equally awesome, along with the House of the Dragon from it. Brings to mind the Sons of the Dragon, Vlad Dracula. Of Which Vlad the Impaler was his son and tied to Bats and Vampire myth (Harrenhal Castle).

Also brings to mind King Arthur and his father Uther Pendragon (head Dragon). 

Then you have the Welsh flag of their Red Dragon vs the Saxon White Dragons. Norse people tended to ride dragon ships too.

Arthur's sword is something I think House Dayne represents with Dawn. Something that makes me think of Joyeuse, the sword of Charlemagne. Said to be forged from the Spear of Destiny that killed the Morning Star, Jesus. 

Some legends claim Joyeuse was forged to contain the Lance of Longinus within its pommel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeuse#:~:text=Joyeuse (pronounced [ʒwajøz] (,kept at the Louvre museum.

There are a tonnnnn of other myths and stuff I could bring up too.

Like Belerion being an Island near cornwall, in Britain. The Stand in for Westeros that was invaded by Aegon riding Balerion.

The Heptarchy of England and such.

The one myth im rather bummed didn't pop up was the myth of the Golden Apples of Immortality.

The Golden Apples I can only find with House Rowan with the Golden Tree on their sigil. Or the Fossoways.

Im also bummed Magic Rings were left out (Though I understand why) 

Andvari's Ring and the Curse on it, Draupnir and it dripping 8 new rings every 9th night, the Nine legendary 'miracle' rings of Ourense said to have been held by Nine Bishops in Spain.

https://www.newsweek.com/legendary-miracle-rings-monastery-galicia-discovery-1552131#:~:text=The silver rings are thought,monastery closely guarded their remains.

https://euroweeklynews.com/2020/12/02/legendary-rings-found-during-monastery-restoration/

Then there is the Ring of Gyges in Greek myth that turned its wearer invincible. 

Though there is a grove of Nine weirwoods used by the Night's Watch, who are Crows. Tied to the Three Eyed Raven possibly. Who is a stand in for Odin, who's ring Draupnir was the one that produced more rings on the 9th Night.

So in a way I guess he uses them all.

7 hours ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Though there is a grove of Nine weirwoods used by the Night's Watch, who are Crows. Tied to the Three Eyed Raven possibly. Who is a stand in for Odin, who's ring Draupnir was the one that produced more rings on the 9th Night.

Odin is one of the most referenced figures of myth in ASoIaF, especially in regards to the Starks. Odin's associations with crows(Huginn and Muninn) and wolves(Geri and Freki)are explored extensively through Bran and Jon. Being a warg itself is also a reference to Odin since he was known to take the form of a wolf and his ravens would provide him with eyes to see the world.

13 hours ago, Bobby B. VIII said:

Odin is one of the most referenced figures of myth in ASoIaF, especially in regards to the Starks. Odin's associations with crows(Huginn and Muninn) and wolves(Geri and Freki)are explored extensively through Bran and Jon. Being a warg itself is also a reference to Odin since he was known to take the form of a wolf and his ravens would provide him with eyes to see the world.

Agreed. Even the name Bran means Crow in Welsh and comes from Bran the Blessed who was a giant of England. George really has created a wonderful mythos in his world. 

Archived