The Lysene Spring

BlackLightning

Can someone please explain the Lysene Spring to me?

Every time I read it, I get so confused. It's like I am unable to comprehend a lot of what I am reading.

Why do so many people in King's Landing have a problem with the Rogares? Why was the secret siege even a thing? Who was on which side and what game were they playing at? Why would this even have been allowed?

No wonder Aegon III was so messed up.

The Rogares were extraordinarily wealthy and made themselves vastly wealthier through their entrée into Westeros thanks to the marriage of Prince Viserys to Larra of Lys. Her father, Lysandro, was very ambitious for his family and negotiated a permanent foothold in Westeros. He was also angling to do the same through his son brother Drazenko in Dorne.

Being foreigners with strange gods, they were distrusted by some, and having wealth and influence, they were envied by others. But most importantly of all... they happened to be convenient scapegoats for Peake's conspiracy to control the throne. Lysandro's ambitions led to rivals in Lys assassinating him and his son brother Drazenko, which then led his heir Lysaro to the pillaging of the family's wealth to embezzeling from the bank to try and prop up their power in Lys, and with them on the back foot it was a convenient time Peake and his allies to move to control Aegon for good. They arrested the Rogare brothers (Lysaro was eventually executed in Lys, scourged to death), claimed they were all involved in a plot against the king, and attempted to seize Larra... but Aegon and Viserys refused. Hence the secret siege, which really was a thing, and came to an end only when Ser Marston Waters pulled back from the brink and turned on those who had perpetrated the whole thing.

As to how it was allowed, Peake had control of the court through his allies. Had news gotten out of the city of what was going on, one supposes that some of the loyalists sworn to the king might have acted to try and put a stop to it.

23 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Can someone please explain the Lysene Spring to me?

Every time I read it, I get so confused. It's like I am unable to comprehend a lot of what I am reading.

yep . it's a mess.

Why do so many people in King's Landing have a problem with the Rogares?

I guess their distaste towards foreigners counts as racism . right?  they don't care who Rogares are . they just know that they have different gods , different costumes , different language and different values . so , no matter what Rogares do , they are despised.

Why was the secret siege even a thing?

because Unwin Peake was a greedy bastard

Who was on which side and what game were they playing at?

Peake , fingers and Waters(possibly) were on the same side . they wanted to kill Daenaera , Lara and either Aegon or Viserys and take the power . basically they were planning a coup that turned into a siege . 

Why would this even have been allowed?

because Rowan and the regents were fools who weren't able to form an able , Peake-free government. 

No wonder Aegon III was so messed up.

exactly ! had Tyland survived , Aegon may have been able to move on from his trauma a bit. instead of being gaslighted and undermined by Peake , seeing his cousin and his best friend murdered and thus get freaking scared all over again. 

@Ran

Drazenko was Lysandro's brother, not his son. Furthermore, it was Lysandro's eldest son, Lysaro, embezzling the bank to fund his own ambitions in Lys that ruined the Rogares. Oh, and Lysandro + Drazenko are both suspected of being killed by the Faceless Men in-universe because they died randomly one day apart (Draz choking on bacon pie and and Lys when his barge sank).

3 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@Ran

Drazenko was Lysandro's brother, not his son. Furthermore, it was Lysandro's eldest son, Lysaro, embezzling the bank to fund his own ambitions in Lys that ruined the Rogares. Oh, and Lysandro + Drazenko are both suspected of being killed by the Faceless Men in-universe because they died randomly one day apart (Draz choking on bacon pie and and Lys when his barge sank).

You're right! Meh, shouldn't be tryng to keep the Rogares clear on short sleep, had to get up early to help a friend get their dog to the vet for surgery.

The Faceless Men or some other assassins did them in, certainly.

Archived