NFL 2022 Thread 2: Wherein Russell is exposed for the fraud he is

Rhom

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

:ninja:

ETA: I like it even if the price tag sucks. The obvious if is health, but if CMC, Deebo and Kittle can stay healthy, Niners are absolutely contenders now.

Agreed.  This is ShanaLynch going all in on the last of Jimmy G.

The 2nd rounder is what gets me.  They got comp picks coming out the ass - including two 3rd rounders - and will get surely be in line for two more with Ryans is hired in the offseason by someone.  But including the 2nd strikes me as a panic move.  So you lost to the Falcons, get over it.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

They're also covering their asses. Future picks have no value to you if you're not there to use them.

They're not on the hot seat at all.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

They're not on the hot seat at all.

No, but missing the playoffs was not an option going into the season. Missing them this year could warm up the seat next year, and that's going to be a season in which Lance's growing pains will still occur coming off a serious injury only having started four games in three years. This trade, if it goes as planned, immediately makes the Niners the division favorite and one of the top three or four teams in the conference. All things considered, I'd make that trade. Push the chips in and hope for the best. Either way, it should be fun.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All things considered, I'd make that trade.

I wouldn't.  And I don't think ShanaLynch were worried about their job security at all.  They're still easy favorites to win the west and the got, like, six guys coming back this week, including two of the best players in football.  CMC gives them the best pass-catching RB in the game, which is something, but his injury history is prohibitive.  As is the contract.  Even the dead cap numbers are horrid.  If they restructure in the offseason I might change my tune.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I wouldn't.  And I don't think ShanaLynch were worried about their job security at all.  They're still easy favorites to win the west and the got, like, six guys coming back this week, including two of the best players in football.  CMC gives them the best pass-catching RB in the game, which is something, but his injury history is prohibitive.  As is the contract.  Even the dead cap numbers are horrid.  If they restructure in the offseason I might change my tune.

That only supports what I'm saying. They're not concerned with the long term and how could they be when they already spent so much to get Lance and as of now that's a failed trade. Kyle's fine, but is Lynch? 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That only supports what I'm saying.

No it doesn't.  You're saying they might be on the hot seat next season.  McCaffery's cap hit - along with the lack of picks in the spring - could very well make them a significantly worse team next year.  Whereas Mitchell will probably be back after the buy and, again, it's not like they should be worried about winning the west. 

For a guy who's famous - along with his father - for getting greatness out of nothing from the running back position, the amount of draft capital they've expended on running backs is beyond ludicrous now.  And wasted, for that matter.  They already released Sermon after trading up to get him.  And now they spent another third rounder on Tyrion to sit on the bench.  If anything this makes Lynch look like a worse GM.

I'd make the move this season. I think if you look at the NFC it is wide open, no team really scares you. Why not add a true weapon to the team and go for it? Now Deebo shouldn't be in the back field so much so that adds to the WR group.  If SF can ride this group to the SB it gives them time to breathe and see what happens next season with Lance. To me that is the scarier thing, not this trade or the cap ramifications.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're saying they might be on the hot seat next season.  McCaffery's cap hit - along with the lack of picks in the spring - could very well make them a significantly worse team next year. 

EXACTLY! Next year is going to be a very complicated season for the Niners. And if they underperform this year, given we know the problems looming next year... It would greatly benefit the two of them to swing for the fences now and try for a deep run, because if it works next year's struggles won't matter as much.

And again, guarding Deebo is hard. Guarding MCM is hard. Kittle hasn't been himself lately, but with those two he should be running butt naked open. Enjoy this, it's going to be fun... if they stay healthy.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

EXACTLY! Next year is going to be a very complicated season for the Niners. And if they underperform this year, given we know the problems looming next year... It would greatly benefit the two of them to swing for the fences now and try for a deep run, because if it works next year's struggles won't matter as much.

This really doesn't make any sense when you consider their struggles so far this season are obviously due to injury and that's the only reason they aren't making the playoffs anyway.  So the team with the some of the worst injury luck in the league the last few years went out and got a player with horrible injury history the last few years.

Anyway, whatever, I don't like like the trade but of course thinking about adding CMC to Deebo, Kittle, and Aiyuk is the football equivalent of supermodel sexy.  Garoppolo may never have to throw a pass past the line of scrimmage again.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

This really doesn't make any sense when you consider their struggles so far this season are obviously due to injury and that's the only reason they aren't making the playoffs anyway.  So the team with the some of the worst injury luck in the league the last few years went out and got a player with horrible injury history the last few years.

The worst injury luck is why they're doing this. It's a "WE CAN'T AFFORD TO FAIL" mentality. That's why they're good with trading the picks. This has to work now and the conference is fairly wide open if you don't think the Eagles are real. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The worst injury luck is why they're doing this. It's a "WE CAN'T AFFORD TO FAIL" mentality. That's why they're good with trading the picks. This has to work now and the conference is fairly wide open if you don't think the Eagles are real. 

OMG dude you're a broken record.  The point is it's a panic move, which is basically what you're saying, when they didn't need to make one.  At all.

So I was wrong about the dead cap hit - that's on the Panthers next year, to the tune of $18 million..yikes.  For the Niners his salary/cap hit is $12 million the next three years with only $1 million guaranteed.  And a couple articles I read mentioned they expect the deal to be restructured in the offseason - which makes sense considering none of that is guaranteed.  If he can stay relatively healthy the next couple years, that will make the deal worth it.  But that's still a huge if. 

I still don't like it for the simple fact Mitchell should be back after the bye (and it sounds like McCaffrey will only play in red zone packages this Sunday anyway), and Mitchell might actually be a better pure running back at this point - albeit with similar injury concerns.  It seems like ShanaLynch were over-worried about the Rams getting him.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

So I was wrong about the dead cap hit - that's on the Panthers next year, to the tune of $18 million..yikes.  For the Niners his salary/cap hit is $12 million the next three years with only $1 million guaranteed.  And a couple articles I read mentioned they expect the deal to be restructured in the offseason - which makes sense considering none of that is guaranteed.  If he can stay relatively healthy the next couple years, that will make the deal worth it.  But that's still a huge if. 

I still don't like it for the simple fact Mitchell should be back after the bye (and it sounds like McCaffrey will only play in red zone packages this Sunday anyway), and Mitchell might actually be a better pure running back at this point - albeit with similar injury concerns.  It seems like ShanaLynch were over-worried about the Rams getting him.

I realized the other day that its been almost thirty years since the Niners have won a Super Bowl.  Feels crazy because it doesn't seem all that long ago to me... so I'm all for going all in and adding a weapon to the offense.  Especially one like CMC who is tailor made to play in the Shanahan system.  Hell there is a very real chance Kyle Shanahan babysat CMC!  :lol: 

I honestly don't think there's another team in the league with more weapons than the Niners now have.  Jimmy has shown he's good enough to get them there, the defense is Super Bowl level, now we have all the weapons.  If everyone can get healthy again by mid/late season to get ready for a run; I honestly believe this team has everything they need to compete.

Archived