[SPOILERS] Rings of Power: "I am Sauron" "I'm Sauron" "I'm Sauron!"

Ser Drewy

One more episode to go. I'm veering towards Halbrand being Sauron which is why they've had him head to Eregion (as silly as that journey is with his septic wound...) and I'm not really fond of that. Throw in his interest in smithing and he seems a very likely candidate. Though I'm not sure why a mortal Southlands man would be a good choice as a disguise to try to con the Elves. Unless Galadriel figures it out, tries to kill him, he flees and then comes back as Annatar or somebody next season. I'm guessing the reveal of the plan to make the Rings will be next episode. I still find this quite strange since I always figured trying to forge a ring of power would be one of the focus points of S1. Guess the forging is S2 material. 

No idea who Meteor Man is going to end up being, or what the Mystics want with him. Guess they figure he's Sauron, or they're going to try to stop him realising he's a threat to Sauron? 

47 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Someone please remind me, was Finrod killed by Sauron or Morgoth? And was Morgoth killed by one specific person?

Finrod and his band, including the human Beren, were captured by Sauron, imprisoned in his tower, and fed to werewolves who killed them one by one until Finrod sacrificed himself to save Beren. Finrod went on a quest to help Beren acquire one of the Silmarils as part of his oath to Beren's father Barahir. 

From my recollection, Morgoth is still alive, but the Valar cast him into the void until the Middle Earth apocalypse. 

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Someone please remind me, was Finrod killed by Sauron or Morgoth? And was Morgoth killed by one specific person?

Sauron killed Finrod while shaped as a werewolf.  Morgoth is not dead merely shut beyond “the Doors of Night”.  He will return for Dagor Daegorath and, according to legend be killed by Túrin Turambar in vengeance for the curse laid upon the Children of Húrin.

With the exception of Elrond, most of these actors are new to me, but I realized that I have seen Morfydd Clark in one other movie. She played Charles Dickens’ wife in The Man Who Invented Christmas (starring Dan Stevens). It was all about how Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol under a short deadline (and how much of a neurotic mad genius he was haha). Great movie, both as a holiday flick and a period piece. I hadn’t realized how much of a wunderkind Dickens was until I saw it. I had always assumed he’d come into fame later in life, but nope. He wrote Oliver Twist when he was 26!

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sauron killed Finrod while shaped as a werewolf.  Morgoth is not dead merely shut beyond “the Doors of Night”.  He will return for Dagor Daegorath and, according to legend be killed by Túrin Turambar in vengeance for the curse laid upon the Children of Húrin.

This sounds rather Ragnorak-esque.

36 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sauron killed Finrod while shaped as a werewolf.  

Nope (at least for the published Silmarillion):

[Sauron] cast them therefore into a deep pit, dark and silent, and threatened to slay them cruelly, unless one would betray the truth to him. From time to time they saw two eyes kindled in the dark, and a werewolf devoured one of the companions; but none betrayed their lord.

[...]

In the pits of Sauron Beren and Felagund lay, and all their companions were now dead; but Sauron purposed to keep Felagund to the last, for he perceived that he was a Noldo of great might and wisdom, and he deemed that in him lay the secret of their errand. But when the wolf came for Beren, Felagund put forth all his power, and burst his bonds; and he wrestled with the werewolf, and slew it with his hands and teeth; yet he himself was wounded to the death.

It was just a werewolf

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

With the exception of Elrond, most of these actors are new to me, but I realized that I have seen Morfydd Clark in one other movie. She played Charles Dickens’ wife in The Man Who Invented Christmas (starring Dan Stevens). It was all about how Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol under a short deadline (and how much of a neurotic mad genius he was haha). Great movie, both as a holiday flick and a period piece. I hadn’t realized how much of a wunderkind Dickens was until I saw it. I had always assumed he’d come into fame later in life, but nope. He wrote Oliver Twist when he was 26!

And Benjen Stark is another known one, no?

5 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

This might mean nothing, but Meteor Man showed up for NYCC this weekend, but Nori and Poppy did not. They just starting filming again in England, so perhaps he is still separated from them at the beginning of next season? Just a theory.

I love how he still has no name yet.

2 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Morgoth was tried and executed after the War of Wrath, and his spirit was then thrust out.

As for episode 8. Halbrand as Sauron will leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I suppose, maybe, from Tar-Mairon's perspective being a vagabond king is an upgrade from being a lighthouse...

19 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

I suppose, maybe, from Tar-Mairon's perspective being a vagabond king is an upgrade from being a lighthouse...

You're preaching to the choir there. But there's a difference between Third Age and Second Age Sauron. One is a shadow, the other needs to be the Great Tempter.

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

Halbrand being Sauron might go down as thee most predictable twists ever put into a show. We know these two yo-yo’s worked for Bad Robot, so it’s probably something they will do. 

Predictable for book readers. For average audiences, they'll have been surprised that Adar isn't Sauron.

40 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Predictable for book readers. For average audiences, they'll have been surprised that Adar isn't Sauron.

What books would those be? I predicted it by episode 2, without ever having read any books past the Two Towers and even, that I read 20 years ago.

10 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

One more episode to go. I'm veering towards Halbrand being Sauron which is why they've had him head to Eregion (as silly as that journey is with his septic wound...) and I'm not really fond of that. Throw in his interest in smithing and he seems a very likely candidate. Though I'm not sure why a mortal Southlands man would be a good choice as a disguise to try to con the Elves. Unless Galadriel figures it out, tries to kill him, he flees and then comes back as Annatar or somebody next season. I'm guessing the reveal of the plan to make the Rings will be next episode. I still find this quite strange since I always figured trying to forge a ring of power would be one of the focus points of S1. Guess the forging is S2 material. 

No idea who Meteor Man is going to end up being, or what the Mystics want with him. Guess they figure he's Sauron, or they're going to try to stop him realising he's a threat to Sauron? 

I haven't read anything but the hobbit years ago, but just as a TV viewer, my impression is that Meteor man is Sauron. (What was with that mark his meteor left?) or half of Sauron. I'm probably reading too much into Adar's "I split him him two" but that's the kinda bullshit I expect from most television. 

Like you say there's no way Halbrand is going to teach elf smith guy anything. Why would he listen to some dude?

I'd imagine the end of the finale is celmbrior(sorry.) tries and fails to make rings with Halbrand's help, while dramatic music plays and it cuts between that and some visual reveal that "the stranger" is Sauron. Presumably a flaming eye? 

Archived