[SPOILERS] Rings of Power: "I am Sauron" "I'm Sauron" "I'm Sauron!"

Ser Drewy

21 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Did the actor who plays Halbrand/Sauron always have this accent? I could swear his accent was fluctuating from line to line.

I noticed his accent since one of the promos before the show premiered. He's Australian by the way.

6 minutes ago, IFR said:

I'm curious ultimately what the ratio of those who liked it to those who didn't will be.

I'm more curious about how many of those who liked it actually read Tolkien's books. It actually saddens me that many people are going to think this is what Tolkien wrote.

So the show spent less time on the most important event of the season (Sauron convincing Celebrimbor to follow his advice) than on the scene where Nori said goodbye to the Harfoots (the latter was 7-8 minutes and it felt like 20, wtf were the editors thinking leaving all this in?). The priorities in this show sure are weird.

And I just had to laugh when Sauron taught the basics of metallurgy to the "master smith" Celebrimbor.

So Galaldriel knows making the rings was Sauron's idea but decides to go through with it without telling anyone? Seriously?

Let's make three rings because "one will always corrupt, two will divide". Say what now?

The non-Nori Harfoots risking their lives to save the Stranger felt really implausible. But at least this scene was quite spectacular visually.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

It's the security system for the Island, which was answered in Season 1 (and reiterated in Season 2 by the blast door map, which tells us it was codenamed Cerberus by DHARMA, a guardian of the underworld) and it pretty much fulfilled that role throughout. It also operates on the basis of assessing people's morality, terminating those who are "not good people" and it thinks are a potential threat to the Island (which was established in Season 2 and 3, with Eko). The Man in Black merged with the smoke cloud which both saved his life but also trapped him on the Island since, obviously, the security system cannot leave what it is guarding.

You just made up your own fan fiction. It is called a security system in season, that much is true. Than a creature Ben can control another season, the islands judge the season after that and Jacob’s long lost brother the season after that. Each season they seemed to change their mind on what the creature was, because the writers were making up stuff as they went along and were scared to give a definitive answer. Heck at one point Jacob makes it out as if the creature is pure darkness and evil. They were that scared to give a true answer. 

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Wait till you get Sauron as father of Celebrian.

LOL.  But, who can say, in a world where Galadriel spent thousands of years looking for Sauron, then finds him, and then keeps it to herself....anything is possible.  Right now, show Galadriel has more in common with Walter White than Sauron.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Bless you book-purist heart. :)

Don't because I'm not one. I'm fine with changes being made. I'm unhappy with the specific changes they made. I know this confuses your desire to lump all people who dislike the show into one group, but if you go back to my earlier posts before a single episode was aired, you'll see me being perfectly on board with the idea of changes. There's precious little "book" for anyone to be purist about here. 

4 hours ago, Isis said:

I've spent the past week mentally reviewing all the Halbrand/Galadriel scenes and thinking how well they work if he is Sauron - but the flip side of that is if he wasn't going to be revealed as Sauron then that would have all been a massive waste of effort and there isn't really an alternate role for Halbrand that would make sense in terms of why we have spent so mnuch time with this character. So really this was the only outcome that would work.

No. Those scenes were written by the same writers who decided Sauron would be disguised as Halbrand. They didn't make the decision at the last minute and get locked in by scenes they had previously aired!

4 hours ago, Isis said:

The scene where he meets Celebrimbor, 'oooh, can it really be you, The Real Celebrimbor?' is great because it shows how easy it is to seduce Feanoreans with flattery - as is appropriate for Hot Sauron. 

But this was a wholly invented thing by the show. The descendents of Feanor are easily flattered morons, per the show. This is great because?

4 hours ago, Isis said:

It wasn't about the mysteries it was about the characters.

That is not relevant here. What characters? We have ciphers here, not characters.

I wonder if we can all agree that this season was on par with season 8 of Game of Thrones?

Both shows depended on characters constantly acting stupid, both had battles with terrible tactics. GoT ran rough shod over the character of Dany, and RoP did the same with Sauron and Galadriel.

GoT had Dany forgetting about Euron's fleet and Bran gaining the throne because he had "the best story"; RoP has the greatest elven smith not understanding basic metallurgical concepts like alloys, had Galadriel keep Sauron's identity secret, and countless other blunders.

Presumably GoT concluded quite differently than what Martin will end up with, and RoP is all but antithetical to Tolkien at this point.

They doubled-down on every single narrative decision I dislike.

Compressing the timeline means that nothing has any depth, individuals behave a certain way because the showrunners need them to, no situation or character is allowed time to develop.

Not a single thing of the many inventions these showrunners have come up with has enhanced the story. They all detract.

The Elven extinction event makes me look away from the screen in disgust every time.

The way Celebrimbor is portrayed he is, if possible, even less believable than Galadriel. Fëanor’s blood runs weak in this one.

Fake Sauron reveal as if all the fake deaths were not annoying enough. It’s a simple, trite, arrogant show that disrespects its viewers.

How can the elves not know the Southland king’s line was broken a thousand years ago? What were the doing all those centuries patrolling and guarding the Southlands? Why would the humans welcome him back as the king if there hasn't been one around for a thousand years!

The Priestesses are absolutely ludicrous figures running around in their silly, ceremonial robes. And the magic they wield is out of place. It does not belong here. Were we supposed to think they were ring-wraiths even do the requisite rings have not yet been manufactured?

“oh, he is not Sauron, he is the other one”. “I am GOOD”. Ffs.

There is not a single person around for a dying king other than an apprentice there on assignment? Not even shouting for help makes someone materialize.

OK, Celebrimbor *is* more believable than Galadriel after all. She now knows Sauron is, erm, Sauron but of course does not tell anyone. Even in the context of show-Galadriel this is too much. Face saving is more important than letting people know a minor player called Sauron is afoot.

They have also messed up the ring-making lore in a way I don’t understand how it’ll make sense later on.

Don’t really mind the Halbrand actor. In a story much better told (like, say, by Tolkien) he could work for me as Annatar. Along with the dwarves (when they are not used for comic relief) one of the few things in this show I don’t dislike (I’m ambivalent on Elrond). But the abruptness with which everything has to happen cheapens every interaction.

The actress who plays Miriel has presence, there is something there, but she is never given an opportunity to shine due to inferior writing.

When they try to ‘elevate’ the dialog to something serious or purposeful, the opposite happens. It’s a bit like reading a parody of Cormac McCarthy; the original is a thing of marvel, but it is easy to ridicule in parody.

Surprisingly I was not upset by the Gandalf-reveal. I suppose I was already resigned to that fact along with Nori traipsing along.

Were we told why Halbrand was on a raft in the middle of the sea? I admit I found it hard to watch the Gala-Sauron interaction due to being acutely embarrassed on behalf of the writers.

Lastly, the worst character assassination is surely what they’ve done to Gil-galad.

And before I’m told to stop watching the show, I promise I shall try. Though I might return to root for Sauron the way things are going.

42 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL.  But, who can say, in a world where Galadriel spent thousands of years looking for Sauron, then finds him, and then keeps it to herself....anything is possible.  Right now, show Galadriel has more in common with Walter White than Sauron.

On Celebrian, there's always been a lot of speculation that she was raped, when captured by orcs, which caused her to lose the wish to remain in Middle Earth.

But, I have an even grimmer idea.  I've always thought her injuries sounded very much like Frodo's.  He could never find peace in Middle Earth, so he had to pass over sea.  I found myself wondering if she was wounded by a Morgul-knife, with the intention of forcing her (like Frodo) to serve Sauron as a wraith. Elrond healed her (like Frodo) but she had lost all joy in life.

Sauron would take great delight in having Wraith-Celebrian as one of his most terrible servants.

3 minutes ago, SeanF said:

On Celebrian, there's always been a lot of speculation that she was raped, when captured by orcs, which caused her to lose the wish to remain in Middle Earth.

But, I have an even grimmer idea.  I've always thought her injuries sounded very much like Frodo's.  He could never find peace in Middle Earth, so he had to pass over sea.  I found myself wondering if she was wounded by a Morgul-knife, with the intention of forcing her (like Frodo) to serve Sauron as a wraith. Elrond healed her (like Frodo) but she had lost all joy in life.

Sauron would take great delight in having Wraith-Celebrian as one of his most terrible servants.

According to the Appendix, Celebrían had received a poisonous wound.

So in the end it wasn't just Celebrimbor that's being tricked, it's all the major Elves.

Galadriel is tricked once (shame on Halbrand) but now she still allows the making of the rings and thinks it will work out. (shame on her) Gil-Galad doesn't even have time for Halbrand, thus there is no moment for him to show his wisdom. He just wants to pack up and leave, but relents to a friend's request. Said friend, Elrond, has little agency of his own, generally being there for moral support; for all his farsighted abilities, Halbrand doesn't excite a whiff of suspicion out an Elf who've seen was more clever than the average. And poor Celebrimbor is just a nerd who wishes to follow in his grandfather's footsteps of craftsmanship.

52 minutes ago, sifth said:

You just made up your own fan fiction. 

It is amusing, although by now very old and tiresomely predictable, whenever anyone demonstrates they are paying attention to a story, and you are not, you throw a hissy fit and yell "FANFICTION!" and "LIARS" when they are simply repeating canonical information that was spelled out in the original show.

Just another comment about the only storyline in the finale I liked (Stranger/Harfoots):

Not only did Stranger!Gandalf say follow your nose like Gandalf in LOTR, Nori asking what way to go was like when the fellowship set off and Frodo asked Gandalf what way to go.

The Stranger and Harfoots other new characters added to story without changing it, and they could have done the same with Halbrand, showing the effect of Sauron on men.

Archived