[Spoilers] Episode 108 Discussion

Ran

8 minutes ago, Leticia Stark said:

Family tree posted by the official account on Twitter and no mention of Daeron, so I guess he’s not in the show.

Neither, it seems, is Maelor. But the Blood & Cheese moment can still work with the two kids Helaena has.

5 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Moon tea seems to be the most amazing thing ever…apparently, this non-invasive option is:

Readily available, inexpensive, works every time the first time, and no side effects. DAMN. 

If only it were that easy in the real world.

We'll get there someday. We haven't sent people to the moon for nothing. 

21 minutes ago, Leticia Stark said:

Family tree posted by the official account on Twitter and no mention of Daeron, so I guess he’s not in the show.

Could be. But one imagines that only the characters who are mentioned in the show actually make it into the family tree they release. Helaena's children have just been mentioned, so they are there. Daeron hasn't been mentioned, so he isn't.

Maelor not being there yet doesn't mean they cut him. Helaena could be pregnant right now - or getting pregnant soon -, meaning the lad could be born in season 2.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Well, Rhaenyra only was named heir at the age of 14 in the show, no? And even thereafter she didn't really think she would be queen until her father had finally decided that she wouldn't be disinherited in favor of Aegon three years later.

Rhaenyra is raised as a pampered princess, not as the Heir Apparent. And to be clear - she still isn't that eager to be the queen in episode 8. She sees the crown as a burden and, quite correctly, faults her dad for deviding the Realm by naming her the heir.

While I guess we are to believe that it is this reluctance, this view of the crown as a burden, that rouses Viserys from his apathy one last time to try to set things to right ... Rhaenyra is right that her father should have never named her.

Jace is raised from the start as the heir to the Heir Apparent, so it is always clear that he will wear the crown one day.

Maybe, but Alicent never expected to be queen and she stepped up. Meanwhile, Aegon was told that he was going to be king since he was a little kid, and he has flouted all responsibility. I really think it’s a personality thing.

12 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Could be. But one imagines that only the characters who are mentioned in the show actually make it into the family tree they release. Helaena's children have just been mentioned, so they are there. Daeron hasn't been mentioned, so he isn't.

Maelor not being there yet doesn't mean they cut him. Helaena could be pregnant right now - or getting pregnant soon -, meaning the lad could be born in season 2.

I think we can safely say Daeron won't show up. He should have already, he's supposed to be 15 years old. 

If they had any intention for him to show up, the dinner last episode should have been it.

18 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The war effectively starts next episode. It won't be long after when certain envoys fly to Storm's End and soon after Blood & Cheese. No time for another pregnancy.

4 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

I think we can safely say Daeron won't show up. He should have already, he's supposed to be 15 years old. 

If they had any intention for him to show up, the dinner last episode should have been it.

They have a lot of kids to introduce.  It could be they wanted to wait for a second season (which when producing the show would have been a potentiality) to introduce Daeron just for simple parsimony.

6 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Joffrey wasn't at the feast either, not little Aegon and Viserys. (it was bed time for the latter I'm sure)

And if they try to follow the book, Daeron would be in Oldtown.

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Joffrey wasn't at the feast either, not little Aegon and Viserys. (it was bed time for the latter I'm sure)

And if they try to follow the book, Daeron would be in Oldtown.

But he should at least have been mentioned by now, so that people know he exists and won't be confused if he shows up.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The war effectively starts next episode. It won't be long after when certain envoys fly to Storm's End and soon after Blood & Cheese. No time for another pregnancy.

Helaena could give birth to Maelor shortly before the fall of KL. Just because she has a breakdown doesn't mean she cannot give birth. You could easily see Aegon getting drunk during that party he throws for Aemond after the murder of Luke, and subsequently impregnating Helaena.

I think they could easily cut Maelor, to be sure, but it isn't something they have to do. He isn't really a character, more a plot point or plot device. All they basically need is a baby or toddler for a couple of scenes.

You should also keep in mind that the age of Aegon the Younger and Viserys in this episode means - necessitates, even - that the Dance has to last longer in the show than it does in the books. It must last more than 2+ years, possibly as many as five. Joffrey is also too young to play the role he does later in the war.

15 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Maybe, but Alicent never expected to be queen and she stepped up. Meanwhile, Aegon was told that he was going to be king since he was a little kid, and he has flouted all responsibility. I really think it’s a personality thing.

Alicent steps up and grows into her role only during the ten year gap. Before that, she is neither comfortable in the role nor particularly effective. Which is kind of weird in itself since Alicent should have been groomed for the role a queen consort ... which isn't that different from the role of lady wife.

Aegon was told that he would be king one day only by his mother. But the important, crucial voice there is the voice of his father. I mean, we can imagine that young Aegon summoned his courage one day and approached his father in a quiet moment, telling him that his mother kept telling him he would be king one day. He would ask whether this was true, whether his father really believe he should and would be king one day. You can imagine what Viserys would have answered. In fact, we should have gotten such a scene between, say, a 5-7-year-old Aegon and Viserys.

20 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Why wasn’t Luke fostered with Corlys at Driftmark? He should have been, considering that was to be his seat.

That is a good question. I guesstimate a possible answer would be that Corlys spent the last six years fighting on the Stepstones, and didn't want to take Luke into a war zone. Taking in Baela was Rhaenys' decision.

26 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

The leaked reports said that

Spoiler

Daeron will be mentioned by Otto and Aemond, respectively, as being in Oldtown.

If that doesn't happen in the next episode chances are good that this is false information and he has been cut. But there was no need for them to mention him so far. They could have, of course, but there was no quiet scene between characters who would care about Daeron or who discussed things that would warrant him being mentioned.

Next episode the Greens will marshal their strength, they will write to the Hightowers in Oldtown, they will count their dragons, Daeron would be informed about the death of his father, etc. That's the moment to namedrop him, if he is still there, and also to reveal whether Otto's brother is still the Lord of Oldtown, or whether Otto's nephew Ormund is already in charge (as he should be per the book).

In any case, the way they shot things, Daeron doesn't have to be there. In the book they sent him to Oldtown as a squire only in the 120s, but in the show he could easily be a ward of the Hightowers from a younger age. He would be born during the ten year gap and sent to Oldtown years before episode 6 begins.

4 minutes ago, Leticia Stark said:

Next episode is the last chance of him appearing. If he’s not there for his brother’s coronation, so he’ll never be.

In the book, Daeron isn't in KL during Aegon's coronation. He is sent to Oldtown years before his father's death and never returns to court, actually, eventually dying at Tumbleton.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Moon tea seems to be the most amazing thing ever…apparently, this non-invasive option is:

Readily available, inexpensive, works every time the first time, and no side effects. DAMN. 

If only it were that easy in the real world.

Meanwhile, they haven’t figured out how to help women give birth safely. In this universe a lot of mother die in childbirth (Aema, Lyanna Stark, Dany’s mom, Joanna Lannister, etc.)

1 hour ago, Arataniello said:

Interesting factoid - Aegon II's naked buttocks have now been played by two different actors.  He is only character to have this unique "achievement".

They did a better job matching the actors’ buttocks than their faces or builds!

From what we see in the preview for next week, there is certainly plenty of potential for Daeron to be namedropped.

Spoiler

Also really great to see Aegon quite literally running away from what seems to be the throne and his 'responsibilities'.

I must say Aegon is one of my favorite characters so far. Really hope they keep both him getting drunk on power and him ignoring most of the 'sage advice' of his elders as well as him. There is potential for him stabbing back at all the people who thought they could use him as their pawn, his mother and grandfather foremost among them.

Also, I really want them to keep all his ridiculous decisions - executing all the ratcatchers in KL (not that this would make a different in the rat-invested castle), him being unable to react to the blockade of the Blackwater Bay, him deciding to build the silly statues of his dead brothers.

Also, great buildup for Lyman's Last Stand this episode, when he insisted that the Driftmark issue was settled. Not sure if it is so much loyalty as much as senile stubbornness ... but I'm sure the guy will get his brief moment in the sun.

I guess the Greens will be really confused by the resistance the old man is going to offer in light of the fact that he usually only offers longwinded tax speeches and/or cannot follow other conversations due to what seems to be hearing loss.

Edited by Lord Varys