[Spoilers] Episode 109 Discussion

Ran

4 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

screen time of the gang trying to find Aegon in the slums.

I really enjoyed the brothers walking about the slums and talking about the pits. Aemon at the brothel speaking of his visit. A presumed bastard in a pit.

What didn’t you like? Was it Cole?

Just now, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I really enjoyed the brothers walking about the slums and talking about the pits. Aemon at the brothel speaking of his visit. A presumed bastard in a pit.

What didn’t you like? Was it Cole?

Just struggled to see why it was so important for Alicent to find Aegon before Otto. I get that she wanted to impress her desires on him first but I just found it hard to care that much about that little “game” between them. 

28 minutes ago, Ran said:

I feel like the right way of handling things would have been for her to wait until the coronation was done and they were ushering people out of the Dragonpit. Then busting out would have been a lot less messy.

But I think one aspect of things... are we sure the future Shepherd isn't in that crowd? Maybe with his wife and kids, or a brother, or what have you?  Did he lose his hand (and his family) in this disaster?  Is this basically going to be the key to the future Storming of the Dragonpit?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're thinking that way.

Had the same thought while watching. No way the shepherd doesn’t bring this event up in the future imo

The foot scene was just something new I enjoyed. A misdirection, maybe? ( honestly no pun intended,)to distract the viewer. Just ties in creepily with the club foot and made me think of strip poker, piggies, boots, and hoisery meanings. The possibilities and meanings not the action or behavior. I suffer from a very immature and lack impulse control but I’m working on it 

Edited by Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe

7 hours ago, Ingelheim said:

So it seems the majority of the leaks from 4chan were true. The whole season plot leaked. It seems modern studios are having a hard time keeping all under sheets.

It's not like studios in previous decades had to account for social media, where employees could very quickly reveal information anonymously.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Why wasn't Harold Westerling seized and imprisoned? Him and Erryk? will likely make their way to Dragonstone with Viserys's crown.

Ser Harold said he's on leave until a new manager was appointed. The greens already have first mover advantage in getting the replacement. What good reason do the greens have for wanting to antagonise him?

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The scene between Alicent and Rhaenys was great, although I found it a bit anachronistic. We know what Westeros looks like in 150 years; there is no women's rights movement on the horizon. 

But you are assuming that society’s cannot be regressive. 

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I'm not sure what they were trying to do with Helaena this episode. She got angry with Alicent for seemingly no reason, and she suddenly adopted a steely demeanor when faced with Rhaenys on her dragon at the end. This could just be a "hidden depth," but we know so little of her character that it just felt like an inconsistency. Her and Alicent's scenes together were also a bit immersion-breaking because they look very close in age.

What do you mean "for no reason"? Alicent has been distant towards Helaena and does not really care for Helaena as a person. In episode 6, Alicent literally keeps at arms length to Helaena during their conversion. During the conversation, Alicent shows little to no interest to what Helaena is saying and when she speaks, her demeanor is that of someone who is bored and is only tolerating her daughter because its her duty. During Laena's funeral, instead of keeping Helaena company (while her betrothed ridicules her within hearing distance), Alicent is too busy judgmentally staring at Rhaenyra. Alicent hugs Helaena after she finds out about what happened to Dyanna, which is more about her political motivations and comforting Helaena's second. Where was Alicent all the times Aegon continously ignored her, or when Aegon was drunk?

6 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

BTW, are we to assume that Otto is actually just utter shit at scheming and sort of the anti-Littlefinger? One of the seminal moments of Game of Thrones is that Joffrey's actions at the Great Sept were one of the biggest mistakes of the conflict. Here, Otto is fucking hanging a Great Lord of the Realm in the middle of the castle courtyard for refusing to break his oath.

Eh, it wasn't that public. Only those in the Red Keep, who knew of Viserys' death, were able to see it. The hanging sent a message to them as to what would happen if they tried to sneak out before Aegon could be crowned.

5 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Why Are You Chasing Him: I don't get why they are chasing after Aegon.  Will it make THAT much difference if Otto's men find him first or if Alicent's do?  I can't see how!  Why should we care?!  They never get me to.  Now, I will readily admit that the show does a good job using the chase to raise tension... but for what?  Why?  What would have happened had the chase needed with Otto getting him?  I don't think anything changes.  And if nothing changes than there are no consequences.  And if something has no consequences ...

Ser Criston Cole: God of Lack of Consequences.  First, he kills the “best friend” of the King Consort – nothing happens.  Then he kills the Lord Beesbury.  And … what?  What happens?  Consequences… smosiquences?  How many terrible things are going to happen where… there are no consequences?  Like none.  And is it always Cole?  It makes me think that people just do not give a shit in this universe and that’s not a good thing to think.  
Oh, and then he is made Lord Commander.  Kay . . . 

Yes, it does make a difference. Otto wants to assissinate Rhaenyra and her whole clan, Alicent wants to sue for peace. If Otto's people get him, now the greens are comfortable with kinslaying. Which is a problem seeing that Aemond also has ambition for the throne, since the door for kinslaying is open, what's to stop Aemond from killing his brother and nephew(s) land turning this into Hamlet? What if the assassination attemp is a failure? Now you've definitely started a war. If Alicent's people get Aegon first, a you've got the potential to avoid a war, and if not, you can claim that the blacks were the aggressors as you gave them a fair deal for a peaceful transfer of power, which may sway more noble Lords to your cause. Also, doing it Alicent's way was probably a factor in Rhaenys deciding not to kill the greens, had they gone with Otto's decision they'd probably be dead.

Why would anyone present for the emergency small council meeting want to punish Ser Criston for acting in a way that benefits them?

3 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I wonder if they plan to use Rhaenys' refusal to kill all the greens at the Dragonpit as a motivation for her risky flight to Rook's Nest next season. If Corlys blames her for not taking the chance to end the war before started, and after Luke and other fatalities start to pile up, she may decide to atone her fault by going solo to defend the black cause.

This is exactly what I was thinking. 

Heleana only has two kids in the show right? I thought Cole was the father of those kids in the book. Was Larys the Hand at the time? Because that makes the foot scene horrible. True Horror. 
Still good. In a “ I feel sad why couldn’t it just be something innocent with a wolf and piggies funny kinda way and not Uncle Euron creaks open the bedroom door.” Kinda way :o 

Edited by Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe

Lord Beesbury death by the known murderer Ser Crisping 'The Ageless' was beyond comical. It looked like parody.
Does Crispin have Marvel like superpowers or was Beesbury made of paper mache? :rofl:

This show has so many stupid moments, it's impossible to take it serious.

Edited by Ser Yorick Ampersand

3 minutes ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

Maybe some kind of game move? 
“Open The Doors” x3

I forget what it’s called when a dead piece comes back in to play. Maybe that?

Just feels strange is all. Like they new they "could" do it, but never thought for a second "should" they do it. It adds nothing to the plot and if Rhaenys takes up arms against the Greens in the upcoming war, like she does in the book, it will make her look like an idiot.