[Spoilers] Episode 109 Discussion

Ran

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Uh, no. That they are whitewashing all of the female characters is my point. Alicent was a cool schemer in the books who left her husband's body to rot while she staged a coup. Now she is a tragic victim determined to defend her son, stop the cruelties of men, and save the realm after she misinterpreted her husband's dying words. Her and Otto were clearly in cahoots in the books; here she didn't even know he was planning anything until it was unraveling before her.

Rhaenyra in the books likely never even tried to conceive an heir with Laenor and ordered Vaemond's execution. Now she was forced to have an affair because Laenor was infertile, and Daemon killed Vaemond entirely on his own.

Mysaria is a cruel sociopath in the books. Now she's a crusader determined to end childhood suffering.

It's not about politics or feminism. I have defended female characters and perspectives on this website plenty of times--we've interacted enough that you certainly must have noticed this. The writers are clearly afraid of backlash, and the story is suffering because of it.

I would say every characters on the shows both GOT and HOTD are somewhat whitewashed. It is more striking in HOTD regarding female characters I agree.

But even in GOT, most characters were whitewashed (Tyrion is the most striking example), even Ramsey or Tywin, they're awful, but it's nothing compared to their book counterparts.

7 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

I wish this could be pinned to a wall somewhere. 

Everyone hates them but they were the only one's able to pull off a hit fantasy show while everything else (Witcher, RoP, Sandman, Wheel of Time, His Dark Material, Shadow and Bone, etc.) all feel off. 

And yeah, this show feels off. It is fun at times but feels way off. 

“Sandman” was among the most faithful adaptations of any work of fantasy fiction I’ve ever seen.  Almost beat for beat.  There were a few changes but they were minor.  Pray tell what makes “Sandman” feel “off”?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

10 minutes ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I enjoyed it. Maybe Cole is really Strong? I like how Beesbury head was smashed onto the table with his voting pearl in his head.

lol

yes, he also doesn't age did you notice? i'm sure it's not some oversight and a huge mistake, it's very very deep, and very meaningful lol

7 hours ago, teej6 said:

So I watched the scene again when Ser Erryk picks her up… no armor then. maybe she carries an armor suit on Meleys, who knows. Maybe, I’ll enjoy these shows better if I stop caring about continuity and logical progression in scenes. 

I think it's safe to assume that each dragonrider has an armor ready to be put on next to their dragons.

I mean, when I used to go horseriding, all of my gear were in the stalls, just a few meters from the horses.

Given that it's an armor, it makes even more sense that they would put it on at the lattest moment given how heavy it can be.

The Small Council scene was much better in the books and for the first time I'm actually disappointed that a scene wasn't done as it should have been. Cole does it so everyone knows that's how it's going to be, with everyone onside already and then how it was executed, it was just dumb.

The foot scene serves a purpose. Alicent didn't order anyone killed, someone just did it and told her afterwards and she was afraid she'd be blamed so went along with it. She didn't steal Rhaenyra's crown, Viserys told him in his delirium that he wanted Aegon to be king. And she's not whoring herself to Larys for his invaluable service, she's just taking her shoes and socks off and looking the other way. It keeps it all in the grey.

Bloodraven, Tywin, Jaime, Aemond and Daemon may have massacred the Greens in Rhaenys's place, and it'd have been the most infamous act in all the history of Westeros and they'd be remembered as the greatest ever villain. It is completely implausible for it to be within Rhaenys range to have done it, but the scene was still pretty crap.

4 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

It wasn't accident. But I'd technically put it under self-defense. Manslaughter if you will. Guilty as she may be according to the letter of the law, I do not fault her for that.

Nope.  Manslaughter is killing mitigated by the heat of passion.  This could be negligent or reckless homicide… or simple murder.  

7 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It's only about politics if you believe politics and culture are interchangeable, which I do not. As I said above, I have defended women and the way they're written on this site enough times that I don't think I need to prove myself. There's no denying the volume of accusations of sexism that were lobbed at GOT, D&D, and GRRM--much of it deserved--to the point where the showrunners for this show discussed it quite extensively in interviews leading up to HOTD's release. They're clearly very wary of having the same thing happen to them, and I think we're starting to see signs of that in the writing.

But most of the sexism issues were related showing women naked and sexualized on screen far more than men. Ros and the sexposition scenes, the on screen rape of Craster’s daughters, and cave sex are examples of that. It explains why there is much less nudity in this show but it doesn’t explain making the queens less evil.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

My parents were visiting this weekend and I got to watch the foot fetish jerk off scene with them.  That was fun. 

It could be worse. (I’m looking at you, The Green Knight.)

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

She also made that remark to Cole about "all your feelings for me. . . as your queen."

Yeah it seems to me they are going to make Cole-Alicent a thing in Season 2. They are heavily hinting at Cole being in love with her. And IIRC in one of the Inside Episodes or interviews of the first part of the season they said young Alicent had a crush on him.

Aemond-Helaena also seems to be quite possible IMO.

7 hours ago, TormundsWoman said:

Haha have you finally watched the ep?! How are you bitching about it if you’ve not seen it yet?!?! Someone said it earlier: this ep was made for you!

No I haven't watched it yet, I'm still holding out. 

But I wasn't bitching. Peasants don't matter and I don't like them anyways. They supported Cersei as she bombed the sept, they cheered for Ned's execution, they are sexist, they are homophobic. They are like the plebs from Rome, to weak and stupid to protect themselves and too spoiled and rotten to see how their own prosperity has come at the expense of everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

“Sandman” was among the most faithful adaptations of any work of fantasy fiction I’ve ever seen.  Almost beat for beat.  There were a few changes but they were minor.  Pray tell what makes “Sandman” feel “off”?

Who care about faith? The shining was not faithful and it was a 100 times better. Maybe Sandman feels off because it was faithful. 

It's supposedly this intense story with god like powers and yet it is incredibly boring, hampered by hours of exposition and these weird 'abstract' fight scenes meant to hide the lack of tension as regards the wider narrative. Just odd people doing odd stuff, no one is going to look back at this show and see a hit series worth investing money into. 

19 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Yeah it seems to me they are going to make Cole-Alicent a thing in Season 2. They are heavily hinting at Cole being in love with her. And IIRC in one of the Inside Episodes or interviews of the first part of the season they said young Alicent had a crush on him.

The writers seem to have misunderstood what "Kingmaker" stands for in the book :lmao:

4 minutes ago, Mithras said:

The writers seem to have misunderstood what "Kingmaker" stands for in the book :lmao:

Hahahahaha, maybe they are just mixing things up...now seriously, they are downplaying the Kingmaker part a lot, that's true. They made him LC this very episode while in the books he's been for years before Viserys died.

Edited by Ingelheim

4 hours ago, Adaneth said:

It seems to me that the guy never felt love, respect or kindness. Seeing thousands of people cheering him and shouting out his name as the new King, must be an overwhelming and thrilling thing to experience. At least, that's how I interpreted.

He really is Homelander.