[Spoilers] Episode 110 Discussion

Ran

8 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

This shall be a place where those who complain of darkness within the episodes will be shot with magic missiles and forever fetching Mountain Dew.

:D Melf's Minute Meteors are better ^^

3 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

What I take from it is that it's probably a hint towards him being able to skinchange dragons. It'd be a huge spoiler for the actual series so I don't think they'd fully commit to it beyond doubt. His (and Rhaenyra's over Syrax) control over Ceraxes is straight telepathic but that can just be TV contrivance, but his eye literally taking the shape of the dragon eye is pretty fucking out there. As you ask, wtf is the point of that?

Is that what happened? Oof, have to watch that scene again, the way I remember it, it cut between Daemon being reflected in the eye of Caraxes, to Caraxes being reflected in the eye of Daemon. 

11 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I think they may have shot but cut the goading scene with Maris Baratheon. It explains why Aemond went after his nephew in the book, and it could have explained it in the show. If they shot it or thought about shooting it and dropped it then the reason for this would have been them wanting to go with the surprise appearance of gigantic Vhagar behind small Arrax.

Ooh, yes, they should have given some screen time for the three sisters, and Maris goading Aemond. Had forgotten about that scene from the books. If they had shown those scenes, then what Aemond is doing makes total sense. 

Also, went to sleep for 3 hours, and already 15 pages smh. 

Edited by slant

53 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Yes, it's after Sunfyre. From FIB: The king changed the color of the dragon on his banners from red to gold, to celebrate the brilliant golden scales of his dragon.

Blacks and greens are informal denominations. I don't think any side called themselves this way.

Thanks for that info. I do find the green dragon better though. 

And you are correct, the titles of the 2 sides are applied retroactively 

The original oath was to Viserys, and in some cases, to Jaehaerys I. The debate among the Kingsguard is the same that for the rest the kingdom. To decide who is Viserys rightful successor.

What I feel that is surprising is two brothers that are heavily involved with the succession crisis do not discuss about it between them.

I think the "discussion" is simply seeing Aegon act horribly 

You are confused here. Daella (Aemma's mother) was Rodrik's second wife. Therfore, Aemma was half-sister to Rodrik's sons.

Since Jeyne Arryn can only be Rodrik's granddaughter, and so is Rhaenyra, they should be first cousins (or half first-cousins)

You are right about Daella, idk what I was thinking, but we are never told that Lady Jeyne is Lord Rodriks grandchild. We simply assume

Do people actually prefer Aemond killing his nephew because Maris Baratheon says he doesn't have balls?

I'm honestly relieved that they took any path but that, it was that moment when I realize i could never take Aemond seriously.

PS: That painted table tho.:wub:

Edited by frenin

7 hours ago, The hairy bear said:
  • It's great that we can keep identifying noblemen by their dresses. This week we had lords Celtigar and Staunton.

I'll have to trust your keen eyes. I like their rich garb, but I certainly couldn't identify any sigils.

And on the subject of costumes, Aemond's is probably the worst I've seen in the show. Way too modernistic with that high collar. The biggest misstep in the costuming department, well other than the entire Blackfyre pageantry. 

29 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

IMO that would have been preferable to what felt like trying to hit a checklist of events covering 30 years, with few of them having much time to feel meaningful. The book is bare bones, so it's not like adapting ASOIAF. Pertinent background info could've been used to craft the last months of the buildup to the Dance. Aegon, Aemond, Helaena, Jace, Luke, and the kids never/barely introduced could have used considerably more time. You don't have to invent major tragedies or wars to do that, just create scenes that develop the traits you want people to associate with them. 

I agree with you. Just thinking about characters like Laena and Vaemond (even Corlys) who could have had more development, besides the ones you mentioned. Or Baela and Rhaena, who didn't even have lines this episode! Or even the people in the Small Council, the Kingsguard, etc. They've already come up with so much more than what's in the books, I'm sure they could have made it work and create longer, more cohesive arcs for some of the supporting characters.

Cause it did feel like some things were only on the show because the writers had a list with bullet points that needed to be crossed out, when they didn't have the time to properly set it up, develop it, and resolve it. And it didn't need to end with Storm's End, it could have continued a little bit more into Blood and Cheese and all that, in 10 episodes.

That said, they still did a reasonable job.

Forgot to mention how good Emma D'arcy was. They and Paddy Considine were the best actors on the show for me. (Speaking of, I thought Rhaenyra's hair in the coronation scene slightly resembled Viserys' which was a nice touch, if deliberate).

And for once, I didn't think the lighting on this episode was ever bad at all. Excellent music, too.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

She IS self-indulgent and sexually "demanding" in the show.   

No she isn't.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

And...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. 

Being self-indulgent at the expense of her duties might constitute a character flaw. But Rhaenyra is both sexually liberated and loyal to her spouse. Kind of like Googie: 

(0:25): 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Hell, there was even talk on here that her seduction of Cole was inappropriate based on the power dynamic. 

And the show does nothing with it besides make Cole look like a pathetic zealot who bashes a gay man's skull into the floor. The show does everything to frame Rhaenyra as pure and good but also sexually liberated and free leaving no room for possible emotional vices like greed, selfishness, or envy. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

You're arguing out of both sides of your mouth.  You claim she's only considered a "whore" in-universe, but here you are directly arguing the reader should view her in a negative light too for those actions. 

lol, you are a master at twisting other people's words for your own uses. The mention of whore was how her sexual escapades would be described in the book. The readers can view it however they want, but having a character cheat on her husband for sexual pleasure elsewhere, raising bastards in defiance of the realm, and having those who question her killed might constitute moral failings. 

People can still support her actions while conceding she is a multifaceted character vulnerable to feelings of selfishness and greed. In the show however she is none of these things. She is endlessly compassionate, forgiving, and selfless free of any vices such as vengeance or envy.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

It's pathetic and gross. 

Well, you have to believe that in order to believe the impossible. Sadly you can't get away from the simple fact that Rhaenyra in the show has no moral flaws. Unlike the book where she has moments of madness, depravity, anger, or self-interested lust at the expense of those around her. In the show she does nothing to harm the people or her claim (because her bastards do not affect her claim and the only people who get upset at her sexual experiences are those deemed totally irrational). 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

And even if Cole rejected her, how is she "vengeful?" 

Not at him, at Alicent. It's another offense in there growing hatred for one another. But show Rhaenyra can't have hatred in her heart because that would be a moral vice. She has to be pure, calm, and perfect. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

The books are crystal clear it was Cole that was vengeful, for whatever reason, not Rhaenyra. 

Yeah, and nowhere in the books does it make it seem Cole wanted to run away with her. Rhaenyra's rejection in the show is the reason for his pathetic attitude, while in the book it might have been for a number of reasons. 

But point in case, whatever the reason, Alicent took Cole from Rhaenyra and that just deepens their rivalry. In the show there is no rivalry because Rhaenyra is too pure of heart. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

And in the show the bastards are..a result of infidelity and a lack of concern for the rules.   

No they are not. They are the result of an impossible decision forced upon her by a marriage she did not want to a man incapable of fulfilling his duties. If she had no concern for the norms she wouldn't have had children (like her relationship with her mother insinuated) and scoffed at the notion of strengthening her claim. 

But again she is perfect so instead she helps her gay husband live happily ever after and remarries to strengthen her line. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Unless you think Laenor isn't gay in the books, there's absolutely no difference. 

There is, because being gay does not mean you cannot breed another women. If he wanted to and saw it as important he could have and show Rhaenyra made it perfectly clear she wanted his children even while knowing of his sexual preferences. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Hell, the show makes it clear repeatedly they did try and it just wasn't something that was going to work - just as in the books.  And if you think the books didn't make it clear Laenor is gay, then you're unbelievably naive and sticking your head in the sand.

Like always, you have buried yourself in ignorance. Rhaenyra rejecting Laenor in the book, alongside her killing of those who called out her bastards, and the murder of Laenor were all in line with a person who rejected the rules for her own desires. 

But the show made it clear this was all out of her control and she didn't want anyone killed and just wanted to do her duty because she is perfect. 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

Alicent is a bad mother and Viserys is a bad father is just how it is,

If your children grow up to be  absolute cunts then you have fucked up somewhere along the way.

Aegon explicitly states where did they fuck up, Alicent put an enormous and unwanted pressure on his son to become King and Viserys was cold, distant and disappointed of his firstborn son while doting and publicly pissing on thousands of years of tradition by naming his daughter heir. 

Then that ruins the entire premise the show established which was Alicent is afraid for her children. If Alicent is willing to betray her best friend for sake of her own children she must love them and be dedicated to them. 

Instead we are shown her destroying them from a lack of concern by endlessly pursuing the throne. Do you get the problem? It makes her fundamental motivation null and void. 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

Aegon is not raised by his mother, his failures are Viserys's fault as they are Alicent's. 

Really? What scene do we have with Aegon and Viserys? Viserys didn't want him on the throne just like he didn't want himself on the throne. When he rapes the girl he blames his mother, not his father. 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

You're focusing on Alicent because you keep going on and on with this silly debate, honestly aren't you tired?, but Aegon focuses on his father just as much. 

And you're ignoring how the show doesn't blame his father. His father isn't the one pressuring him to betray his family, his mother is the one doing that and that is what supposedly destroys them. 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

Never did i say. Humanizing someone doesn't imply excusing their behaviour. It's a stupid reasoning.

Aegon is given a lot of depth, which i like. That doesn't mean he's not an asshole, that doesn't mean he's not a rapist, that doesn't mean he's not a pest. 

His actions aren't deep though which is the problem, his behavior is that of a generic villain. 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

Me knowing how Tywin grew up ashamed of his father and how he nearly ruined their house doesn't add any ambiguity to the Tysha. 

Or Tywin. Tywin is just evil as regards the narrative. 

1 hour ago, frenin said:

So... just like in the books?

In the book we saw potential flaws in Rhaenyra and reasons for Alicent to want her children to rule. The show destroys all of that making them look like a bunch of psychos. 

1 hour ago, Khloey said:

I don't think Daemon's character was ruined either. I felt pretty neutral toward Daemon in the book, he didn't stir up my emotions or imagination compared to other characters.

But I really dislike him on the show. Maybe I hate Daemon's stans more than anything ^^

I can't stand stans. Period. I have my favorites but they don't have to be saints, or even "good" people necessarily. 

No, I think it's because I didn't care much for Viserys in the books whereas I really love his character on the show. Having a sibling myself, I could not imagine said sibling being seriously ill and just walking away.

Me neither. But that's Daemon being an ass for you. lol

Seriously though, rather than him being a jerk I see that as being emotionally immature, and dare I say weakness. His attitude seems to be more of a defense mechanism of a sort. Daemon may be strong when it comes to fighting, but he doesn't have an inner strength. When something bad happens, his first reaction is lash out, or do something about it in a practical way. He reacts on his emotions, rather than reflect on what those emotions are and what's the best way to deal with them.

Agreed. I read on this thread somewhere that dragons were not horses, but being a horserider myself, I can think of at least 10 occasions where I almost shitted in my pants when ridding the horse. Or not even ridding actually, once I got bitten pretty badly because the horse got himself bitten by a horsefly and I just happened to be in the way at that moment.. Another time the pony I was riding didn't want to do anything that day and i got thrown off 3 times in an hour.. whereas the last time I had ridden him, it went well.

They're animals, they have senses and a will of their own. They get scared, angry or bored. It is no coincidence that horseriding is the most dangerous sport in the world (both in terms of number and gravity of injuries)

I envy you. I don't ride but I love horses. Such a noble creatures. :wub:

32 minutes ago, frenin said:

Do people actually prefer Aemond killing his nephew because Maris Baratheon says he doesn't have balls?

I'm honestly relieved that they took any path but that, it was that moment when I realize i could never take Aemond seriously.

PS: That painted table tho.:wub:

It would have made him even more like Daemon who killed Rhea after she taunted him.

Btw, I feel like there is a joke to be made about how Daemon and Aemond are the same person, just with their “d” in  a different place, but I am to lazy to think of a clever angle.

Showrunner Ryan Condal on Aemond’s actions that differ from the books in the finale of House Of The Dragon :

“Historians have told us that Aemond intended to kill Luke, but I don’t think any of them could purport to know what was going on in Aemond’s head the time.

And I would also dispute the word ‘accident’ a bit. I mean, Aemond got on his giant dragon and chased his nephew on his much smaller dragon through the clouds screaming and yelling at him, incensing his dragon and starting a fight.

He didn’t know how Arrax or Luke were going to respond, and it ended in tragedy. I don’t think that was what Aemond intended when he threw his leg over the saddle, but he did a horrible, dangerous thing. That is the point: This is a war of many cuts that lead to a really, really bloody wound. It adds complexity and nuance to the character that’s potentially interesting. There’s lots of runway to go on with Aemond as a character and the story of the Dance. This is his first act as a dragon rider and a warrior and it’s gone very wrong. Now what happens as a result, and how does he respond? Those are the questions I’m interested in as dramatist."

From an interview with Variety: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-finale-explained-aemond-luke-rhaenrya-daemon-season-2-1235412136/

EDIT: By the way, the interview metions several times that they are not taking F&B as perfect account of the events.

Read it. It's worth it.

Edited by Ingelheim

1 hour ago, Khloey said:

One thing I would like your opinions is Jace's statement that dragons are faster than ravens..

I don't recall that particular line from the books, but from F&B as well as ASOIAF, it seemed to me that ravens are faster than dragons actually. No ?

I thought so too. But in either case, I wasn't convinced by that argument.

This was not just a case of who's envoy was going to be there first. Yes, there is urgency, but the main thing is how good you are with making your case, and what do you have to offer. Besides, it's always better to be in person, even if it's just to remind them of their oath.

1 hour ago, dsjj251 said:

What exactly do you think having Otto fired, or sleeping with Criston Cole are ????? 

A smart decision and a sexually liberated woman living her best life. Things we are meant to celebrate and that have no consequences both to unveil how horrible both of those people are. 

Again, in the books, we arent told of a single instance of Rhaenerya and her Step mothing having a problem until near the start of the dance.  

Keep lying to yourself. The book literally calls their apology after the Aemond incident fake. 

Your assumption is that they simply left out those details, and you have a right to that belief, but that is your opinion, not fact.  

No, their rivalry is all over the book. In the scene they walk into the room with their classic Black and Green dresses. Their hatred is everywhere, it's literally outright stated time and time again, even in the freaking Martin approved illustration.

In the book, she literally says she will forgive her brothers and sisters and blames Otto and Alicent, so yes, she indeed does think of peace.  

Yeah, killing the Queen and the Hand guarantees war, but whatever. 

in the book Its Daemon, Lord Celtigar and Rhaenys  who mentions using the dragons, and Rhaenyra says no "war at what cost,  to what end? My sons would be the ones riding those dragons mind you, and im not strong enough to fly yet... so it will be our 5 against their 4, and one of theirs will be Vhagar. " 

Being skeptical of battle strategy isn't be skeptical of war. 

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion, there is a whole fist fight in Episode 8 

Rhaenyra always forgives Alicent and is always holding out an olive branch. She never shows any anger or hatred despite this best friend ostensibly trying to destroy her. Pull your head out of the sand and look at reality. 

Martin did none of those things. Again , thats you arguing head canon.  

Lol, he literally said she grew to becomes unattractive post-child birth. She literally screams on news of Alicent betrayal wanting her dead, and as Vaemond killed for speaking the truth. 

Vaemond dies the exact same way in the book.  

Lol no. In the book she has a hand in his death and he calls her children bastards off-page. 

In the show he directly calls her a whore in front of the entire court and Daemon kills him without consulting Rhaenyra. Oh and all the audiences cheered because we were suppose to celebrate this act whereas in the book it showed how Rhaenyra's lies were catching up to her.

She doesnt in the show either,  

Exactly. 

You are completely misusing the word infidelity.  i think you mean impotence. 

As both Rhaenyra and Laenor are guilty of infidelity, and no where in the show does Rhaenyra claim she wouldnt have slept with Harwin if she had been pregnant by Laenor(as we are specifically told they did have sex)

No, Laenor can ejaculate. He just won't with his wife so she has no choice but to look elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

Showrunner Ryan Condal on Aemond’s actions that differ from the books in the finale of House Of The Dragon :

From an interview with Variety: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-finale-explained-aemond-luke-rhaenrya-daemon-season-2-1235412136/

That's the way I understood that scene and I agree with his arguments too. And, yes, how he reacts after is something I'm more interested.

7 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Then that ruins the entire premise the show established which was Alicent is afraid for her children. If Alicent is willing to betray her best friend for sake of her own children she must love them and be dedicated to them. 

Instead we are shown her destroying them from a lack of concern by endlessly pursuing the throne. Do you get the problem? It makes her fundamental motivation null and void. 

You can love and still be dedicated to your children and still be a bad parent.

She loves her children and wants to protect them -> She pushes her fears onto her children because she loves them and is afraid of losing them to Rhaenyra -> Children get screwed up as a result for it.

If you add to that a complete indifferent father who only has eyes for his daughter... Well.

I get you don't like it, i really do but there is one thing to voice your dislike and quite another pretend that somethinng is objectively bad because you don't like it. We online people have that disease and it's annoying.

12 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Really? What scene do we have with Aegon and Viserys? Viserys didn't want him on the throne just like he didn't want himself on the throne. When he rapes the girl he blames his mother, not his father. 

1. Really.
  2. None, that's the point. Viserys doesn't care about him really. His only care is that he doesn't do something stuid and get in the way of Rhaenyra's ascension... Which soon enough.
  3. Viserys sure as hell wanted himself on the throne, he may have come to dislike ruling, but he contested Rhaenys's claim.
  4. He blames both, he feels he's not adequate to either. [I did not ask for this, i did everything you've asked me to and i try so hard but it'll never be enough for you or father.]

20 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

And you're ignoring how the show doesn't blame his father. His father isn't the one pressuring him to betray his family, his mother is the one doing that and that is what supposedly destroys them. 

The show presents Viserys as an indifferent father at best... Which is not good. 

The show also presents how Viserys's indifference has  warped him... Which is also not good.

But no, Viserys is not to blame for Aegon's treason... That was always somethinng his mother, grandfather and Cole would push him towards.

22 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

His actions aren't deep though which is the problem, his behavior is that of a generic villain. 

According to you.

22 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Or Tywin. Tywin is just evil as regards the narrative. 

Well yeah.

Evil can have depth but it remains evil.

Aegon can and does have depth but he remains an incredible piece of shit.

24 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

In the book we saw potential flaws in Rhaenyra and reasons for Alicent to want her children to rule. The show destroys all of that making them look like a bunch of psychos. 

There is absolutely no reasons for Alicent to want her children to rule other than they are her children.

The greenest source there is describes Aegon as sulky, drunken, lazy and sexual predator. Aemond is equal parts a psycho and stupid and the best thing about Daeron is that he's not like his brothers.

25 minutes ago, nara said:

It would have made him even more like Daemon who killed Rhea after she taunted him.

I mean that was incrediblt stupid.

But at least there was a history off resentment between the two of them. Maris is just an ugly girl Aemond doesn't like. It's beyond pathetic.

Just tought about it: HBO should've had Daena the Defiant be the narrator of the intro, with possibly having a few more lines too (kind of How I Met Your Mother style, but with way way less narration) in the coming episodes and seasons, and in the end it should've been revealed that she was telling the story to Daemon Waters, later Daemon Blackfyre. Of course, the story should've still been present from an omnipresent POV.

Imagine that setup for a Blackfyre Rebellion series.

Edited by Daeron the Daring

9 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Being self-indulgent at the expense of her duties might constitute a character flaw.

In terms of her sex life, her "self-indulgence" is the same in the books, and are not "at the expense of her duties" nor a character flaw in the books either.  It's only you who is burying their head in the sand about that.

13 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

The readers can view it however they want, but having a character cheat on her husband for sexual pleasure elsewhere, raising bastards in defiance of the realm, and having those who question her killed might constitute moral failings. 

...And she absolutely does the first two in the show.  And while she may not have ordered Daemon to kill Vaemond, it's absurd to think she wouldn't have in the show as well.  How you can be so blinded by bias as to make make your own counter-argument is absolutely hilarious.

18 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Yeah, and nowhere in the books does it make it seem Cole wanted to run away with her.

...Except where that's explicitly Eustace's - the most greens-biased chronicler - account of what happened.  If you want to believe Mushroom's instead, fair enough, but don't outright lie about what the book said.

20 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

In the show there is no rivalry because Rhaenyra is too pure of heart.

There's absolutely a rivalry in the show, you're just burying your head in the sand.  Is it tempered by the show including their childhood friendship?  Absolutely.  But that makes BOTH Rhaenyra and Alicent more sympathetic.  That you're too blinded by bias to see that is sad.

23 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

They are the result of an impossible decision forced upon her by a marriage she did not want to a man incapable of fulfilling his duties. If she had no concern for the norms she wouldn't have had children (like her relationship with her mother insinuated) and scoffed at the notion of strengthening her claim. 

And in the books she's even more adamant against marrying Laenor.  And in the books she also has "no concern for the norms" and does have bastard children.  How you can be so willfully ignorant of the text is both hilarious and sad.

25 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

There is, because being gay does not mean you cannot breed another women. If he wanted to and saw it as important he could have and show Rhaenyra made it perfectly clear she wanted his children even while knowing of his sexual preferences. 

The show makes it clear they tried for awhile but it didn't result in a pregnancy and just wasn't either's bag.  That's the pretty clear implication in the books as well.  I honestly don't get why you think Rhaenyra having bastards while married to a gay man with his own paramour makes her look "bad" to the reader in the books.  The only one that seems to think so is you.

28 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Rhaenyra rejecting Laenor in the book

No where in the books is it suggested she "rejected" Laenor.  He returned to Driftmark after the wedding.  He "preferred the comforts of High Tide" with Correy.  You really should try actually reading Fire & Blood.

31 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

the murder of Laenor

No where in the books is it suggested Rhaenyra was involved in Laenor's murder.  Eustace claims it was Correy due to jealously, Mushroom claims Daemon hired Correy in order to wed Rhaenyra.  I really hope you get to read the book at some point.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

No where in the books is it suggested Rhaenyra was involved in Laenor's murder.  Eustace claims it was Correy due to jealously, Mushroom claims Daemon hired Correy in order to wed Rhaenyra.  I really hope you get to read the book at some point.

Didn't read the conversation before this, but it's not like only characters suggested or suspected by the authors of FnB could be behind certain events.

I like book Rhaenyra, but I think it's not ruled out she may have had a hand in Laenor's death. After all, it was her who approached Daemon at that point, not the other way around.

5 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Didn't read the conversation before this, but it's not like only characters suggested or suspected by the authors of FnB could be behind certain events.

Of course.  It just means the fact is none of the accounts in the book suggested she was involved, which is what I said.

14 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Just tought about it: HBO should've had Daena the Defiant be the narrator of the intro, with possibly having a few more lines too (kind of How I Met Your Mother style, but with way way less narration) in the coming episodes and seasons, and in the end it should've been revealed that she was telling the story to Daemon Waters, later Daemon Blackfyre. Of course, the story should've still been present from an omnipresent POV.

Imagine that setup for a Blackfyre Rebellion series.

That would have been interesting, but has the Blackfyre Rebellion ever been part of discussions for a spinoff? I think GRRM has stuff to reveal about the Blackfyres in the main novels so maybe he doesn't wish HBO to make a show about them.

Edited by Corvinus85