[Spoilers] Episode 110 Discussion

Ran

2 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

According to this recent very interesting interview with Condal, the final line of the episode's script is: “Rhaenyra looks up and war is in her eyes.”

It's a pitty that the scripts aren't released ater the episode.

It is pretty clear she is done doing nothing now, but I don't think she is already in full escalation mode. She will lose more sons, after all. And a mother-in-law.

2 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

One option that they may consider is not to reveal who is behind it. Let the accusations fly around, and avoid revealing who (Rhaenyra, Daemon, or Mysaria) is behind it.

But to be honest, I'm convinced they'll have Daemon do it.

Nah, Rhaenyra will want to avenge Luke, and I imagine we will also get a Stormlands campaign of some sort now ... but if she authorizes an assassination she is likely to demand Aemond's death - which would both be proper revenge and removing the most dangerous Green dragonrider.

Daemon should agree with that - he doesn't want to drag the war out in the show, but gather their strength as quickly as possible and then take KL and put down the Green traitors.

But Mysaria - who they will turn to to arrange the assassination - clearly has a motive of her own to get even with Alicent Hightower. She had Larys burn her manse, presumably murdering many of her friends and agents. Among them children - like the one who approached the Cargylls.

Which means, of course, that Mysaria is going to target Alicent's grandchildren because they are the only actual children in the Green camp.

The whole thing will have little and less to do with Rhaenyra's or Daemon's revenge and more with Mysaria's desires for vengeance.

Which I think will work pretty well in context since in the book it simply makes little to no sense as to why Daemon would not target crucial dragonriders in the Green camp and/or King Aegon or crucial court officials like Otto if he had the chance to do it.

The show needs to make this work in context, they cannot just go with a weird and pointless episode.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Daemon certainly also loves Rhaenyra, although perhaps to a lesser degree and in a different manner than Viserys. He is just pissed at what he views as weakness, which he thinks she inherited from her father. He thought he had married a warrior queen, a woman more like himself ... and then she acts as if she is about to accept the Green coup.

I don't think Aemond is particularly loyal - he is clearly not loyal to his elder brother Aegon who is now de iure the head of House Targaryen and the leader of the Green faction.

He is courteous to Alicent, but it seems to me the reason he wanted to go with Criston wasn't to find Aegon, etc. but to perhaps ensure he isn't found ... as is later revealed.

I also don't buy that he loves Helaena romantically - she is his sister and he loves her as a brother and would marry her if asked to - but that's because he knows that the brother who marries Helaena would be the one they set up to be king.

I don’t really think Daemon is capable of loving anyone, not even himself. He has a kind of desperate yearning for Viserys’ trust and approval, but that’s it.

We know that Aemond is loyal to Aegon, and the Greens at large, despite not liking him, because we’ve seen it. When Jace stood up during the dinner after Aegon offended him, Aemond immediately rose to his feet. The implication was that he would defend his brother, even when he was acting like an idiot.

I also don’t believe Aemond is in love with Helaena, but we see him come to her defense in the dragonpit, and he stops by to visit her the morning after Viserys died. As for Alicent, he goes to comfort her after the dagger fiasco, and volunteers to find Aegon for her. We haven’t gotten a lot of him, or any of the younger generation, but I think we can read enough from what we have seen.

They’ve also made Aemond less misogynistic. They omitted the line about kissing “the old whore’s cunny.” 

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Which I think will work pretty well in context since in the book it simply makes little to no sense as to why Daemon would not target crucial dragonriders in the Green camp and/or King Aegon or crucial court officials like Otto if he had the chance to do it.

I agree with your points about Mysaria's motives, but Daemon's "a son for a son" promise in the book does fit his warped conception of justice.  They also may well view getting to Aemond as too difficult, just as in the books.  Particularly considering his capability at arms is quite exaggerated in the show.  He may well be a match for both Blood and Cheese, even with the element of surprise.

Anyway, while I do think Rhaenyra should be part of the order, I do wonder if she will be.  This seems like a way to not only exacerbate conflict between her and Daemon, but protect her as the main character.  We'll see.

3 minutes ago, slant said:

I have been thinking about something for a while. Guess, HoTD is a very rare example where the TV show can be considered the canonical version of the events, while the book that it is based on is actually the rendering with "changes in the story". 

GRRM has said that ASOIAF and the GoT universe are two separate canons, so things might still be different in the ASOIAF version.

20 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

GRRM has said that ASOIAF and the GoT universe are two separate canons, so things might still be different in the ASOIAF version.

Lots of things are different. The entire dynamic of Alicent and Rhaenyra is different because Alicent and Rhaenyra are the same age and childhood friends as opposed to being 9 years apart in age. The tortured Viserys because of prophecy thing is entirely an invention of the show. 

The show canon is the objective version of events... in the show canon. It does not apply to the books except in any places where George says that, "Yes, that's how it actually happened in F&B".

I do like the show (barring a few decisions like the context of Cole killing Joffrey) a lot more than the book version. Because it does feel like a drama in which I can connect with the characters rather than a brief overview with a lot of 'maybe this happened or maybe this other completely different thing happened'. I'm actually sad to not get a show version of the earlier stories. Would have loved to see more about Jahaerys, Alysanne and their kids. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I agree with your points about Mysaria's motives, but Daemon's "a son for a son" promise in the book does fit his warped conception of justice.  They also may well view getting to Aemond as too difficult, just as in the books.  Particularly considering his capability at arms is quite exaggerated in the show.  He may well be a match for both Blood and Cheese, even with the element of surprise.

Unless they change things completely, Daemon won't be there to hire assassins for the attempt, nor would he choose Blood and Cheese or give directions to limit the thing to two goons.

For Aemond they just would more assassins or figure out a different way to kill him.

Daemon might still use his 'a son for a son' line in the show ... but the book also never made clear whose son was meant. The idea that Daemon of all people would view the wastrel clown king Aegon II as their true enemy at this point is rather ridiculous in light of his remarks in episode 10. Meaning if he uses the line it should and likely will refer to one of Alicent's sons.

Just as it might have in the books - since chances are also pretty low that anyone in the Black camp assumed that Aegon II sent Aemond to Storm's End.

The show would not have gone with the Alicent-Larys-Mysaria-Otto subplot in episode 9 if this wasn't one of the plot threads leading up to Blood and Cheese.

So far we also don't know what happened to Talya, Alicent's lady-in-waiting - she could provide Mysaria with crucial information about the daily routines of Alicent, Helaena, and the children. Also consider Mysaria's demand that the Crown do something for the children in Flea Bottom ... and they effectively responded by (presumably) burning some of the children in her care. It is pretty obvious that her way to get even with them would be to murder some royal children, showing them how they cannot protect them from her.

The idea that Daemon or Rhaenyra would want to target Helaena or her children just makes no sense in context since neither has any negative connection with her nor any issues with the children. Hell, so far neither has any personal issues with Aegon II. It is like Aegon II reacting to Blood and Cheese with the command to kill Baela and Rhaena or Rhaenys and Corlys, rather than targeting Rhaenyra or her sons.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Anyway, while I do think Rhaenyra should be part of the order, I do wonder if she will be.  This seems like a way to not only exacerbate conflict between her and Daemon, but protect her as the main character.  We'll see.

She might not suggest or think about an assassination first, but I'm pretty sure she will sign off on Daemon's idea if it is to murder Aemond. She would not agree to murder Aegon and Helaena's children, though.

In context, I also think Daemon himself should want to kill Aemond there to lay some groundwork for the Battle Above the Gods Eye. Sure enough, I still think this was a completely stupid and quite pointless murder-suicide ... but in context of the show they should give reasons why Daemon takes it upon himself to hunt Aemond in the Riverlands and doesn't stay behind in KL to enjoy being the consort of the queen ... or why he doesn't want to go down to Tumbleton to fight some real battles and burn some Green soldiers.

Thus it would make some sense if Daemon himself is quite affected by Luke's murder, wants Mysaria to kill him, and continues to want to see him dead later during the war.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Nah, Rhaenyra will want to avenge Luke, and I imagine we will also get a Stormlands campaign of some sort now ... but if she authorizes an assassination she is likely to demand Aemond's death - which would both be proper revenge and removing the most dangerous Green dragonrider.

Daemon should agree with that - he doesn't want to drag the war out in the show, but gather their strength as quickly as possible and then take KL and put down the Green traitors.

But Mysaria - who they will turn to to arrange the assassination - clearly has a motive of her own to get even with Alicent Hightower. She had Larys burn her manse, presumably murdering many of her friends and agents. Among them children - like the one who approached the Cargylls.

Which means, of course, that Mysaria is going to target Alicent's grandchildren because they are the only actual children in the Green camp.

The whole thing will have little and less to do with Rhaenyra's or Daemon's revenge and more with Mysaria's desires for vengeance.

Which I think will work pretty well in context since in the book it simply makes little to no sense as to why Daemon would not target crucial dragonriders in the Green camp and/or King Aegon or

No, I think Daemon will have the bigger role in Blood& Cheese. Given how Mysaria was portrayed in the show, and that line to Otto about wanting to protect the children in the streets, it would make no sense to have her giving orders to target the kids of Helaena.

I think having Daemon strangling Rhaenyra is a way to prepare the audience of what he'll be willing to do.

Don't forget, it's Daemon who writes "eye for eye, son for son". I would be really pissed if they didn't show him being the backer of this plan. It's just how he sees justice being done, one son of Aegon for a son of Rhaenyra.

Edited by Khloey

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I don’t really think Daemon is capable of loving anyone, not even himself. He has a kind of desperate yearning for Viserys’ trust and approval, but that’s it.

He does have a special connection with Rhaenyra in the show even before she is named heir. Not sure that's 'romantic love' or sexual desire ... but it could definitely be the kind of affection an uncle feels for his niece.

We know that Aemond is loyal to Aegon, and the Greens at large, despite not liking him, because we’ve seen it. When Jace stood up during the dinner after Aegon offended him, Aemond immediately rose to his feet. The implication was that he would defend his brother, even when he was acting like an idiot.

Well, he is part of their party, so yes, he does that kind of thing.

I also don’t believe Aemond is in love with Helaena, but we see him come to her defense in the dragonpit, and he stops by to visit her the morning after Viserys died.

Considering his facial expression he seems to drop by Helaena because he has already heard that Viserys is dead and that his mother is with Helaena at the moment.

My take on Aemond would be that he so far tries to work with this dysfunctional family ... but that will soon be over and then it is people either do as he says, or he feeds them to Vhagar.

Unless they change things completely, Daemon won't be there to hire assassins for the attempt, nor would he choose Blood and Cheese or give directions to limit the thing to two goons.

For Aemond they just would more assassins or figure out a different way to kill him.

Daemon might still use his 'a son for a son' line in the show ... but the book also never made clear whose son was meant. The idea that Daemon of all people would view the wastrel clown king Aegon II as their true enemy at this point is rather ridiculous in light of his remarks in episode 10. Meaning if he uses the line it should and likely will refer to one of Alicent's sons.

The idea that it matters where Daemon is at the time is decidedly silly, even if he didn't have a dragon.  He already mentioned in the finale he's in contact with allies in the City Watch - which means not just Mysaria - so it's perfectly plausible he enlists Blood (along with Cheese) himself who are then aided by Mysaria.  Again, this would separate Rhaenyra from the worst details of the assassination, which I think is likely.

As for the "son for a son" line, I always took it as the direct heirs to the monarch.  Perhaps it's directed precisely at Alicent, but it's not like killing Jaehaerys isn't just as devastating to her as killing Aemond.  And, again, you're ignoring the obvious difficulties in targeting Aemond (or Aegon for that matter) in such an assassination attempt relative to the information on Alicent and Helaena's routines (likely, indeed, provided by Mysaria via Talya).

16 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

In context, I also think Daemon himself should want to kill Aemond there to lay some groundwork for the Battle Above the Gods Eye.

I think Daemon would want to kill Aemond himself, not through an assassin.

3 minutes ago, Khloey said:

No, I think Daemon will have the bigger role in Blood& Cheese. Given how Mysaria was portrayed in the show, and that line to Otto about wanting to protect the children in the streets, it would make no sense to have her giving orders to target the kids of Helaena.

LOL, she talks about the children she protects there, the children the royals - including the guy who they make 'King Aegon II' - exploit for their degenerate, perverted pleasures.

These two kinds of children have nothing in common. That's the whole point there.

I think having Daemon strangling Rhaenyra is a way to prepare the audience of what he'll be willing to do.

Not sure how a little bit of domestic violence in an extreme situation translates to Daemon arranging murders that won't really help their cause. The guy certainly is capable of child murder. But that isn't the point here. He wouldn't want to murder those particular children - he would want to murder Aemond, Aegon, Alicent, or Otto.

Don't forget, it's Daemon who writes "eye for eye, son for son". I would be really pissed if they didn't show him being the backer of this plan. It's just how he sees justice being done, one son of Aegon for a son of Rhaenyra.

Again, at this point nobody among the Blacks views Aegon as the leader of the enemy faction. That's Alicent, the woman Daemon believes murdered Viserys.

There is also no chance we get a back-and-forth nonsense of exchanged letters or dialogue scenes where Mysaria reports back to Daemon and/or Rhaenyra that they can't get to Aemond or Aegon and what they should do instead. That would be poor writing. Mysaria isn't a trained ape, and they gave her sufficient motivation to get even with the Hightowers all by herself. She doesn't even need to be commissioned by Daemon or Rhaenyra.

Plot-wise it was actually pretty smart by the writers to have her as an independent woman at this point - she will have her own reason to ally herself with Daemon and Rhaenyra for a time only to do her own thing again later on when she destroys Daemon and Rhaenyra's marriage and effectively manipulates the old man into throwing away his own life.

There are so many great characters from Jaehaerys’ reign, but the problem is that there isn’t one central hook to tie the show around. I suppose The Crown is similar, but people are willing to overlook certain things when the subject matter is about real people and events. (For example, most movies about FDR are triumphant, but if he were a fictional character, his story would be depressing as hell: twelve years in office, governing first during the worst depression in the nation’s history, then the worst war in world history, all while being crippled by a debilitating disease that had to be hidden from the public, only to die while the world is still at war. If he had hung on for another six months, he would have seen the war won and the depression resolved. It’s unbelievably tragic to think about. But because it’s part of a greater story that we are all a part of, his life isn’t remembered that way). It would be so great to see Alysanne, Septon Barth, Rhaena and the others, but Jaehaerys’ story is ultimately a very tragic one. He lost almost all his children, he and his wife grew apart, and he’s the reason why Rhaenys was passed over for Viserys, creating the basis for the Dance. It’s more bitter than sweet from a narrative standpoint.

I don’t think we’ll see a Blackfyre show (too much overlap with DnE), but that’s a story that I think could be more bittersweet than outright tragic. Daeron II lost his son Baelor, but his other sons survived him, and he did manage to hold the realm together in spite of the rebellions. And because of Daeron, the entire post-Regency era, from Daeron I to Aegon IV, could make for a fun and tantalizing story that doesn’t end in complete catastrophe.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

The idea that it matters where Daemon is at the time is decidedly silly, even if he didn't have a dragon.  He already mentioned in the finale he's in contact with allies in the City Watch - which means not just Mysaria - so it's perfectly plausible he enlists Blood (along with Cheese) himself who are then aided by Mysaria.  Again, this would separate Rhaenyra from the worst details of the assassination, which I think is likely.

If they were taking that route, they could have just as well dropped Mysaria as a character. Her most crucial role in this story is that she arranged Blood and Cheese. That is her deed, not Daemon's. She acts on his behalf, but she arranges it, she makes it happen, and Blood and Cheese are her men, not Daemon's.

If Daemon can hire Blood and Cheese himself nobody would need Mysaria's help at all. Cheese is supposedly a rat-catcher (granted, the profession doesn't seem to exist in the show universe...) who knows the secret tunnels well, so neither Blood nor Cheese would need some woman's assistance to murder somebody.

As for the "son for a son" line, I always took it as the direct heirs to the monarch.  Perhaps it's directed precisely at Alicent, but it's not like killing Jaehaerys isn't just as devastating to her as killing Aemond.  And, again, you're ignoring the obvious difficulties in targeting Aemond (or Aegon for that matter) in such an assassination attempt relative to the information on Alicent and Helaena's routines (likely, indeed, provided by Mysaria via Talya).

You don't have to take it that way because it isn't clear. In the show it is rather unlikely it is meant in this way because nobody in the Black camp cares about Aegon or his sons. Aegon is a puppet, a figurehead propped up. Rhaenyra's true enemies as per Daemon's understanding are the Hightowers, i.e. Alicent (who he thinks murdered Viserys) and Otto.

So if they go with that line for him they are likely going to mean Alicent's sons there, not Aegon's.

But regardless what Daemon means - it will be Mysaria who wants to murder actual royal children to send a message to Alicent and Otto.

I think Daemon would want to kill Aemond himself, not through an assassin.

Eventually, yes, but since that's not going to work while Daemon is also taking Harrenhal and warring in the Riverlands, he will work with what he has.

Not sure how it would make sense to insist he would want to murder Aemond personally but is fine to send some thugs to butcher Aegon's son. After all, Aemond had the grace to murder his Strong bastard personally, so shouldn't Daemon/the Blacks also do their royal bloodletting with their own hands? Or at least their own dragons).

Edited by Lord Varys

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

If Daemon can hire Blood and Cheese himself nobody would need Mysaria's help at all.

Again, they would need her help in terms of the information concerning Alicent and Helaena's routines.  Moreover, she would be a good go-between in providing payment and providing the means for escape of KL after the deed was done.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

You don't have to take it that way because it isn't clear.

I didn't say I or anyone had to, but that's how I did.  And while obviously Daemon and Rhaenyra view Otto and Alicent as their primary enemies, it's silly to think they wouldn't also make a one-to-one comparison of the monarch's children and direct heirs.

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Not sure how it would make sense to insist he would want to murder Aemond personally but is fine to send some thugs to butcher Aegon's son.

Makes sense to me that Daemon would personally want to kill the perpetrator and rider of Vhagar, especially considering they've already started to set up the rivalry.  :dunno:

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Again, they would need her help in terms of the information concerning Alicent and Helaena's routines.  Moreover, she would be a good go-between in providing payment and providing the means for escape of KL after the deed was done.

I didn't say I or anyone had to, but that's how I did.  And while obviously Daemon and Rhaenyra view Otto and Alicent as their primary enemies, it's silly to think they wouldn't also make a one-to-one comparison of the monarch's children and direct heirs.

Makes sense to me that Daemon would personally want to kill the perpetrator and rider of Vhagar, especially considering they've already started to set up the rivalry.  :dunno:

Just don't expect that to happen.

It would rob Mysaria of effectively all agency, making the attempt on her life have little to no consequence (she could just as well advise Daemon on stuff because of their former affair).

Everything we know about the writing of this show so far is that they want to make things more complicated, more complex, more tragic. Viserys is motivated by prophecy, Rhaenyra is uncertain about whether she should be heir, Alicent is torn between loyalty towards her best friend, her father, her husband, and eventually her sons, etc.

If there is a secret complex layer to Luke's death then there is literally no chance that they are going to write Blood and Cheese as a straight forward 'Daemon wanted to kill one of of Helaena's son to get even with the Greens' thing.

Hell, it might even be that they add more complexity to the actual act ... just as they hopefully keep Helaena as a character after that rather than reducing her to a broken shell the show wouldn't really need to show anymore.

While Blood and Cheese is one of the most monstrous acts during the Dance ... it is too early in the show to make it something the people behind it (Daemon and Rhaenyra) wanted to happen this way. The point for that to happen is later in the show.

For instance, the Maelor thing could easily enough go down as something that's actually motivated directly by the bounty Rhaenyra, personally, put on the heads of the surviving children of Aegon II - not because she wanted them dead, but because she wanted them captured, of course.

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

It would rob Mysaria of effectively all agency, making the attempt on her life have little to no consequence (she could just as well advise Daemon on stuff because of their former affair).

Er, not really.  It just means she wouldn't take a job from Daemon (and/or Rhaenyra) and then go against their wishes on who to kill.  Which, btw, would certainly mean it'd make zero sense Mysaria would be serving either of them when they take King's Landing.

4 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

If there is a secret complex layer to Luke's death then there is literally no chance that they are going to write Blood and Cheese as a straight forward 'Daemon wanted to kill one of of Helaena's son to get even with the Greens' thing.

The other side of this coin is if they keep having every bad thing done be done because of a "mistake" or "miscommunication," it's going to frustrate a lot of viewers.

While Blood and Cheese is one of the most monstrous acts during the Dance ... it is too early in the show to make it something the people behind it (Daemon and Rhaenyra) wanted to happen this way. The point for that to happen is later in the show.

Again, I agree with this when it comes to Rhaenyra.  But not at all when it comes to Daemon.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Er, not really.  It just means she wouldn't take a job from Daemon (and/or Rhaenyra) and then go against their wishes on who to kill.  Which, btw, would certainly mean it'd make zero sense Mysaria would be serving either of them when they take King's Landing.

Why not? Mysaria could wiggle out of the thing by saying she thought she was supposed to murder a son of Aegon's. They could go with Mysaria arranging her own revenge even before Daemon reached out with his wishes, they could go with Blood and Cheese misunderstanding something or deciding on their own to do what they did (or Mysaria could convince Daemon/Rhaenyra that this was the problem).

Not to mention that Mysaria could and likely will be crucial in the eventual fall of KL to Rhaenyra.

I'm pretty sure they won't go with Otto being so stupid to not have identified and ousted most if not all of Daemon's old buddies from the City Watch. It was over twenty years since he last was their commander.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

The other side of this coin is if they keep having every bad thing done be done because of a "mistake" or "miscommunication," it's going to frustrate a lot of viewers.

Sorry, but none of our FaB sources is there when Luke dies, just as the details of Blood and Cheese are far from clear in the book. The latter is a most intricate plot where the sources simply never had any real insight into. Gyldayn tells one particular narrative of the story which is quite entertaining as a conte cruel (he shows similar qualities as a horror writer in the crafting of the Maelor episode and the retelling of the fall of Dragonstone) but it never digs into the actual and interesting machinations leading to the attacks. This is, perhaps, the episode the writers have to be very careful to adapt. There are very unknowns there, and they will have to decide who did what and why in this entire thing.

We can be pretty sure that events in Alicent's chambers happened more or less the way we are told ... if Alicent told the truth when she spoke about what happened to Orwyle and Eustace. But the only source for Mysaria's - and thus Daemon's - involvement seems to have been Blood's confession. Gyldayn most likely never saw the letter Daemon allegedly wrote from Harrenhal, so this line might be something that goes back to Mushroom.

Even if Rhaenyra received such a letter, she would hardly entrust it to whatever archives are there on Dragonstone. It was a rather incriminating letter, apparently, and Grand Maester Gerardys likely never talked about this with Orwyle or Eustace.

Daemon-Nettles and Mysaria and Rhaenyra's role in all that might be the thing that's still harder to pin down.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Again, I agree with this when it comes to Rhaenyra.  But not at all when it comes to Daemon.

I'm not sure Daemon has much interest in child murder. I mean, yes, he can be cruel and sadistic, but the way they present him in the show doesn't have him murder children deliberately, much less relations of his.

I'd say we can imagine him as a character who doesn't care that this happened after the fact ... but I don't think he would command this. Even more so in light of the fact that while Luke was still pretty young, he was no longer a preteen child the way Jaehaerys and Maelor and Jaehaera are.

Luke bloodied himself when he took Aemond's eye, and he is nearly as old as Jace at this time.

Even in the 'an eye for an eye, a son for a son' revenge framework, little Jaehaerys isn't enough to properly avenge Lucerys. It should have been an older boy then - Daeron, say, or perhaps two of Helaena's children. But not a small boy.

Not to mention that both Daemon and Rhaenyra should know that this kind of thing can give them only very bad PR. Daemon strikes me as not stupid enough to think it would be fine to win the Realm to their side by murdering an innocent child.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Why not? Mysaria could wiggle out of the thing by saying she thought she was supposed to murder a son of Aegon's. They could go with Mysaria arranging her own revenge even before Daemon reached out with his wishes, they could go with Blood and Cheese misunderstanding something or deciding on their own to do what they did (or Mysaria could convince Daemon/Rhaenyra that this was the problem).

Of course they could go with all these things.  I just don't think they will because it's convoluted and makes Daemon and/or Rhaenyra look stupid.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Sorry, but none of our FaB sources is there when Luke dies, just as the details of Blood and Cheese are far from clear in the book.

Who said anything about F&B?  The fact is the two key decisions of the last two episodes in the show were, in one way or another, due to a mistake or miscommunication.  Moreover, this miscommunication and "cop out" extends faking Laenor's death.  I just think viewers will get frustrated if they keep going to the same well.  And not just book fans - I've seen mainstream reviews of the finale already question this pattern.

8 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm not sure Daemon has much interest in child murder.

I wouldn't say he has an "interest" in it, no.  But he's certainly not above it.  As for bad PR, I don't think Daemon would care at this point.  Especially considering what Aemond did is almost equally bad PR.