[Spoilers] Episode 110 Discussion

Ran

Hot D is better in some ways, but worse in others. 

The lessons they’ve learned from the backlash they learned all too well. 

One problem from GOT was the underlying sexism behind turning a female icon (Daenerys) into a psycho. So instead they turned on the hero-worship for Rhaenyra (her replacement) just so everyone knows she’s the good guy to the point where her emotional stability undermines her relationships in the story.

Another criticism of GOT was lore, or the lack thereof. GOT in it’s later period began to ignore a lot of the lesser houses and world building from the books. 

Hot D is very much dedicated to capturing every minor character, but that has also led to insignificant background characters taking pivotal roles without much time for development and the insertion of historical prophecies unrelated to the main plot being used as primary motivation for the characters. 

Honestly, it’s proof why hardcore book fans shouldn’t be in charge of adaptions as they are too dedicated to the source material, even the unnecessary parts. Ryan Condal is like someone from here taking charge of ASOIAF material and it just didn’t work.

40 minutes ago, butterweedstrover said:

Honestly, it’s proof why hardcore book fans shouldn’t be in charge of adaptions as they are too dedicated to the source material, even the unnecessary parts. Ryan Condal is like someone from here taking charge of ASOIAF material and it just didn’t work.

Give me someone who is too dedicated over someone who doesn't really care about the source material any day. Plus, from what I've read and seen, most of the things that didn't work came from Sapochnik.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

On 12/11/2022 at 6:19 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think most show fans agree with you. It’s really just us book snobs who don’t like S6 lol.

Ummm I remember hearing a lot of criticism about bits and pieces of season 6. Particularly the first half of the season

And then there is the infamous Arya/Waif chase scene in the eighth episode. Who can forget how annoyed people were at that?

2 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Ummm I remember hearing a lot of criticism about bits and pieces of season 6. Particularly the first half of the season

And then there is the infamous Arya/Waif chase scene in the eighth episode. Who can forget how annoyed people were at that?

I think that for a lot of people, Battle of the Bastards + Cersei blowing up the sept wiped out the rest of the season from memory.

23 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think that for a lot of people, Battle of the Bastards + Cersei blowing up the sept wiped out the rest of the season from memory.

Again, also hold the door.  But while I generally agree with this, there also was quite a bit of criticism for certain aspects of the Battle (e.g. Rickon's fly route, Jon's stupidity) - and not just from book fans.

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Again, also hold the door.  But while I generally agree with this, there also was quite a bit of criticism for certain aspects of the Battle (e.g. Rickon's fly route, Jon's stupidity) - and not just from book fans.

Rickon's fly route had to be the most ludicrous thing I've seen in decades. Also, Sansa's inexplicable hiding info about LF till the last minute. Perhaps for maximum dramatic effect? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 11:28 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Also, seeing Dany with the Dothraki again was quite cool, especially since we know that this will happen in the books as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m dropping in to say that I just finished reading The Kingmaker’s Daughter by Philippa Gregory, and it contained a childbirth scene that was more viscerally horrifying than all of the childbirth scenes from S1 combined. Ryan and Miguel would be so jealous.

(The rest of the book was pretty meh, but that one scene was undeniably memorable).

23 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@The Bard of Banefort

What made the scene so horrific?

The book is about Anne Neville (Richard III’s wife) and the scene in question is when her older sister, who is just a teenager, goes into labor early during a terrible storm at sea. There’s no midwife, and the baby is breech, so Anne and her mother have to deliver the baby themselves, and it’s a mix of gruesome body horror and genuine fear that the mother and baby will die, and that they may all die at sea.

4 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The book is about Anne Neville (Richard III’s wife) and the scene in question is when her older sister, who is just a teenager, goes into labor early during a terrible storm at sea. There’s no midwife, and the baby is breech, so Anne and her mother have to deliver the baby themselves, and it’s a mix of gruesome body horror and genuine fear that the mother and baby will die, and that they may all die at sea.

Sheesh. Talk about dramatic license.

On 1/14/2023 at 11:22 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Sheesh. Talk about dramatic license.

Philippa Gregory is a very frustrating author. I’m working my way through her Tudor and Plantagenet series right now, and she’s an extremely talented writer and storyteller (I believe GRRM said that he’s a fan of hers), but she makes a lot of maddening narrative decisions. For one, she almost always goes with the most sensationalistic version of everything (ex. Perkin Warbeck is real, William Cecil has Mary of Guise and Amy Dudley murdered, Elizabeth Woodeville and her mother really are witches, albeit in a girlboss/divine feminine way), and like another author we love, seems to have a thing for writing about incest (Anne Boleyn has sex with her brother to conceive a child, Elizabeth of York has an affair with her uncle, Richard III). I would still recommend reading a few of her books (The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, etc.) but it’s actually quite disappointing that someone who is clearly very talented so often settles for the soap opera route.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Philippa Gregory is a very frustrating author. I’m working my way through her Tudor and Plantagenet series right now, and she’s an extremely talented writer and storyteller (I believe GRRM said that he’s a fan of hers), but she makes a lot of maddening narrative decisions. For one, she almost always goes with the most sensationalistic version of everything (ex. Perkin Warbeck is real, William Cecil has Mary of Guise and Amy Dudley murdered, Elizabeth Woodeville and her mother really are witches, albeit in a girlboss/divine feminine way), and like another author we love, seems to have a thing for writing about incest (Anne Boleyn has sex with her brother to conceive a child, Elizabeth of York has an affair with her uncle, Richard III). I would still recommend reading a few of her books (The Other Boleyn Girl, The Boleyn Inheritance, etc.) but it’s actually quite disappointing that someone who is clearly very talented so often settles for the soap opera route.

This is why I generally avoid pop history, which also happens to be the source of many issues I have with GRRM's worldbuilding. Also, for the record, no noblewoman, much less a pregnant noblewoman, would travel without an army of midwives and attendants.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I've never read any of her works but watched the first season based on her works. Not really a fan.

Don't think the 'incest' between Richard III and Elizabeth of York is that construed. One doesn't have believe in a passionate affair there ... although that might not be completely off the table, either, considering how, well, badly Henry VII treated Elizabeth in their later marriage. But a calculated consideration to solidify Richard's hold on the throne by ways of marrying his brother's eldest child might have been on the table only to fall through because started to believe Richard had his first wife murdered.

These people had little to no issue with avuncular marriages.