[Spoilers] Episode 110 Discussion

Ran

On 10/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, marsyao said:

No in the book Ser Erryk was happened at Dragonstone and Ser Arryk was happened to at King's landing when the war started, they both swear an oath, one to the black , one to the green, and they stick to their oath to the very end. Hundreds years later, people still sing songs about them. now the TV show made Ser Erryk a turncoat, this is very much wrong

I think it's a smart idea to switch around Erryk Cargyll and Steffon Darklyn to give more meaning and motivation to the eventual cargyll brother's duel. 

On 1/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Coincidentally mirroring Rhaella giving birth to Dany.

Good catch.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:53 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Kind of, but Rhaella was at least on land. This happened on a ship.

Lucky Rhaella

On 1/22/2023 at 6:01 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Back to Philippa Gregory for a moment; although I would pick GRRM over her 9/10 times, there is one aspect where she outdid him (along with sex scenes, because let’s be honest, George isn’t the best at those). In her book about Margaret Tudor, I found Margaret’s anger at having to live with her new husband’s bastards to be quite understandable and was sympathetic to her, whereas I’ve never felt that way about Cat. Granted, the circumstances were more extreme for Margaret: she was only fourteen (her husband was thirty), he had like seven illegitimate children already, and some of them were almost as old as her. I could sympathize with this teenage girl who was all alone in a strange new land but Cat, who was in a very similar position (I think they were both redheads too), always came across as very prissy and unsympathetic to me. So I do think that one aspect of ASOIAF could have been done better.

I disagree. Not on the sex scenes; on Margaret Tudor vs. Catelyn

Margaret's situation is a lot worse than Catelyn's. But Catelyn still has a couple of very valid reason to be upset and concerned about Jon.

And it turns out that in the end, she wasn't that far off the mark. Jon did secretly want Winterfell for himself and almost accepted Stannis' offer to be made Lord of Winterfell.

The real difference between Catelyn and Margaret is that we get the POVs of Catelyn's children and Jon Snow and we get to see that the love that they have for each other is real and deep. You don't see that with Margaret's stepchildren or children.

20 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

And it turns out that in the end, she wasn't that far off the mark. Jon did secretly want Winterfell for himself and almost accepted Stannis' offer to be made Lord of Winterfell.

I kind of assumed that it was more about her believing that Jon was Ned's son from some woman he loved, since he never told Catelyn who Jon's mother was.  

58 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Good catch.

Lucky Rhaella

I disagree. Not on the sex scenes; on Margaret Tudor vs. Catelyn

Margaret's situation is a lot worse than Catelyn's. But Catelyn still has a couple of very valid reason to be upset and concerned about Jon.

The real difference between Catelyn and Margaret is that we get the POVs of Catelyn's children and Jon Snow and we get to see that the love that they have for each other is real and deep. You don't see that with Margaret's stepchildren or children.

What I’m saying is that, intellectually, I know I should sympathize with Cat, but I nevertheless found it hard to while reading the book. I experienced a disconnect there.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What I’m saying is that, intellectually, I know I should sympathize with Cat, but I nevertheless found it hard to while reading the book. I experienced a disconnect there.

Ah I get it. You're not the only one who feels that way so there must be something there.

How do you think it should have been written?

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I kind of assumed that it was more about her believing that Jon was Ned's son from some woman he loved, since he never told Catelyn who Jon's mother was.  

It was that sure. But then there's the memory of the Blackfyre Rebellions

On 2/2/2023 at 5:56 PM, BlackLightning said:

Ah I get it. You're not the only one who feels that way so there must be something there.

How do you think it should have been written?

I wish I knew. But for whatever reason, it just didn’t click for me or a lot of other readers.

On 2/2/2023 at 6:27 PM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't think GRRM had come up with the Blackfyre Rebellions while writing AGoT.

Me neither lol

I'm just grasping for straws

6 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I wish I knew. But for whatever reason, it just didn’t click for me or a lot of other readers.

I understand.

It clicked for me, but I think that a lot of people's problem with Cat goes back to her very first POV chapter and how it begun with her complaining. I'm not kidding.

If you go back and look at Game, the very first sentence of Cat's first POV is something along the lines about she hates how the Winterfell godswood makes her feel so uncomfortable. Then she goes on to make a negative comparison between Riverrun and Winterfell.

• 1 month later...

The DaemonxRhaenyra choke scene had some context. There is a deleted scene were Viserys tries to tell Daemon about the whole Aegon prophecy thing, but Daemon refuses to listen and storms out. Rhaenyra chuckling mockingly about Viserys never telling Daemon insinuates that he never considered the latter as his heir.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:53 PM, OrionSkybourne1 said:

The DaemonxRhaenyra choke scene had some context. There is a deleted scene were Viserys tries to tell Daemon about the whole Aegon prophecy thing, but Daemon refuses to listen and storms out. Rhaenyra chuckling mockingly about Viserys never telling Daemon insinuates that he never considered the latter as his heir.

It works better without the context to be honest. Daemon's just wacky and abusive like that, it's just part of him, and it'll snap at the tiniest slights.