What are they doing? Serious question

ChadA

I absolutely loved Game of Thrones. I was eagerly waiting for the release of House of the Dragon. But, at this point, I am really wondering. 

Why are they skipping so much time? Are they trying to cover 3 hundred years in a few seasons? It seems they are skipping so many important events. Leaving me wondering how those events transpired. 

I absolutely hate recasting. Trying to play the same character with a different person never is believable to me. Mannerisms are just to different. But I can get past it. The real issue with me is it seems like they're spending to much time character building while changing the characters. 

I don't really know if I described very well what I think. But can someone just please explain what they're doing? And give me hope for the next season please?

It does feel a bit jumpy at times. Especially when the main characters appear to have gone through a personality change off screen. When you add the change in actors from episode to episode it certainly compounds the jarring. The book being the template from here on out should allow for no more chronological leaps forward. At least for one maybe two seasons. After the upcoming conflict is resolved then we may have to go through another season like this if they continue. But I doubt it as the audience will be up to current events and history.
     You are not alone in this as many have expressed the  very same opinion.  Consider this an inoculation for future seasons. The next series could start right with this victors son dying. No need to see the child development.

I think the show is going great so far. The show is about "House Targaryen" and their royal dynasty, not just this one family. If you have read F&B then you know it is not a standard novel like the main series of ASoIaF, but instead a history book written by an unreliable narrator who is a maester with possible bias, piecing things together through old documents and writings of other maesters. It's more akin to Tolkiens' "The Silmarillion." 

On 10/10/2022 at 6:31 PM, ChadA said:

Why are they skipping so much time? Are they trying to cover 3 hundred years in a few seasons? It seems they are skipping so many important events. Leaving me wondering how those events transpired.

The answer is HBO didn't want to do ANY of this season. It's kind of an interesting case where fans are like, "Why are you skipping all this?"

And the answer is, "Because we want to get to the GOOD part!"

Which they think is the war.

Originally they wanted to begin with the death of Viserys before George rightfully pointed out that would be nonsensical.

Instead, this season is what HBO's execs think is a prologue.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:35 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

Instead, this season is what HBO's execs think is a prologue.

When you think about it, the first season of GoT is essentially all setup for the actual story as well. Though not truly a prologue, it serves a similar purpose in character and world building.

4 hours ago, Bobby B. VIII said:

When you think about it, the first season of GoT is essentially all setup for the actual story as well. Though not truly a prologue, it serves a similar purpose in character and world building.

Yeah you could definitely juxtapose Luke's death with Ned's as the true starting point of each war.

Archived