Quite possibly the worst name in the entire series

Tyrosh Lannister

Drogon. Drogon is hands down the worst and laziest name. One could argue the Sesame Street Tullies but their names have been intentionally chosen for comedic effect.

Viserion and Rhaegal are alright because they are already valyrian names and might also be the names of Valyrian deities.

Drogon on the other hand cannot be excused. Daenerys took the name of her husband and added an 'n' to it to make it sound valyrian or something. That's just lazy and not done. 

What if she was married to Khal Moro. Would she have named the dragon Moron instead ?

She had the names of her Valyrian gods to choose from, her ancestors, common tongue names similar to Dreamfyre, ships, swords,  etc and she comes up with Drogon...

16 hours ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

What if she was married to Khal Moro. Would she have named the dragon Moron instead ?

I had a good laugh over this:D,

Drogo is probably homage paid to Tolkien. Frodo's father was named Drogo Baggins. But I agree, Drogon sounds odd. Maybe Dany's intention was to add the "-on" from "dragon" but that doesn't work for Rhaegal. Or maybe it's one of the author's wordplay games - Dro-go is now "gone," Dro-gon.  

I’d say the worst is the fact that GRRM took two different men, each with their own unique backstories, and even each had a unique physical trait which separated them from their peers, and named them Larys and Varys. I’m almost impressed by that level of laziness.

The books are full of silly names. I picture George having giggles when coming up with some of them, like Dickon Manwoody and, when asked about that particular character, acting out like this. As for Aenys, I always thought it was voiced as Ae-nees (I am a spanish native speaker, we do the vocals differently). 

But Drogon? I find it a good name. Short and evocative.

Drogon is Drogon because he's the second life of Drogo as a dragon.

Larys is Larys because GRRM wants you to draw a direct comparison to Varys so that you may learn more about Varys.

Unlike most names in literature these names actually have purposes.

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

Drogon is Drogon because he's the second life of Drogo as a dragon

More like Dany being the little girl she is.

Larys is Larys because GRRM wants you to draw a direct comparison to Varys so that you may learn more about Varys

Execution by Stark as an end, foreshadowing.

Unlike most names in literature these names actually have purposes.

The second, yeah, the first, not so much

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

The second, yeah, the first, not so much

Yeah to make the point GRRM only

• coloured him for him
  • named him for him
  • made him the alpha like him
  • made him uniquely refuse captivity
  • had him take up home in, and spend his time roaming, the Dothraki Sea
  • Exult at Robert's death
  • made Dany unsure if he or she screamed during her orgasm
  • hatch in his funeral pyre
  • put Drogo in a catatonic his is soul is elsewhere state before the hatching
  • gave Dothraki the belief that when a Khal dies they rise to ride the night sky on a fiery steed
  • had Drogo star in the wake the dragon fever dream when the wings and fire turn up
  • Have Dany think about Drogo returning to her in the Dothraki Sea right before Drogon comes to her 

There's really nothing more GRRM can do for you without literally making the reveal. 

On 10/11/2022 at 1:45 AM, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Drogon. Drogon is hands down the worst and laziest name. One could argue the Sesame Street Tullies but their names have been intentionally chosen for comedic effect.

I don't think the Tully muppets is simply for comedic effect. GRRM is clearly having fun here, but it seems to be one of many variations on the theme of color triplets: blue, red, and green. The sigil of House Massey, the forks of the Trident, the terrain pieces in cyvasse, etc. And then Grover Tully (blue), Elmo (red), and Kermit (green). I've speculated that it's pointing to different magical bloodlines, but who the heck knows for sure. It's just a clue that he has fun pointing us to, with no clear explanation in sight.

As for names, I don't have real complaints; thankfully, there's nothing as goofy as Kingsley Shacklebolt. I guess I don't like when he lists off these numerous houses, and they almost always feature alliterations. Like, I know that he likes how certain sentences bounce off of the tongue, but he often takes it too far, to the detriment of his world-building.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, Canon Claude said:

I’d say the worst is the fact that GRRM took two different men, each with their own unique backstories, and even each had a unique physical trait which separated them from their peers, and named them Larys and Varys. I’m almost impressed by that level of laziness.

I think it's good writing.  Combining Littlefinger and Varys into the name Larys to give readers a hint as to the nature of an otherwise mysterious character.

On 10/11/2022 at 12:45 AM, Tyrosh Lannister said:

Ok, this was funny.:rofl:

Serious note tho, I don't think it's a bad name.  She grew to very much love her husband, which was not uncommon back in the days of arranged marriages, both for the men and the women, neither of whom got to choose.  Maybe it seems odd in our modern era of obsession with personal choice in all things, but it's true.  They may not have gotten to choose, but after they were together and had to try and make things work and struggled through day to day difficulties that make most 1st-world problems laughable....it was very common to form a strong bond.  Of course, things also sometimes went very poorly...but the same is true today even with choice.

Regardless of what the reader thinks of Khal Drogo (who was definitely brutal but also clearly cared very much for her after they had time to bond), Dany loved him, and naming one of her "children" after him seems like a very apt tribute.

9 hours ago, Ring3r said:

I think it's good writing.  Combining Littlefinger and Varys into the name Larys to give readers a hint as to the nature of an otherwise mysterious character.

Fair enough, but for my part, I don’t think that hint was required. Was it ever a mystery that Larys was a duplicitous man? It just feels like overkill to me. 

16 hours ago, Ring3r said:

You meanin' that Larys is Littlefinger and Varys' time-travelling love child?!??!!!11111

Archived