Two Weeks Until The Rise of the Dragon

Westeros

On October 25th, The Rise of the Dragon: An Illustrated History of the Targaryen Dynasty, Volume One hit shelves. Based on Fire and Blood by GRRM, the book provides a more condensed account of the events documented in that work of “fake history” while providing over 180 new, full-color illustrations (some were shared in the recent, all packaged in a similar format to The World of Ice and Fire. As we said when the book was first announced, the book is for a very particular set of audiences—those who were daunted by F&B’s size but are interested in something more concise, those who love the artwork, and those who are collectors and completists. If you or someone you know fits that, however…

Ahead of the release, George is holding a couple of events, including one that will be livestreamed for those who purchase a ticket. See more details below, as well as an opportunity to get copies with a different set of autographs entirely… !

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/RotD_Rhaenyra-Daemon_01.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

• 2 weeks later...

finished the book today, even tough i finished F&B about a week ago.
to start of: the book is a real eyecatcher. its beautifully made, and inside the art is truly great!

Matches up very nicely with World of Ice & Fire

The story however is a little bit to condensed for my taste. i loved the this one says this and that one said that in F&B, and it is missing. some things i really missed:

-the dragonstone scene with Jaehaeris, Alysanne, and the kingsguard. it had power in F&B that its sorely missing in RotD.
- "*Lord Rogar never wed again". qualifier for most awesome footnote in a fantasy book ever :-D

but i still cant wait till the second book :-) (Fall of the Dragon?)
Unfortunately, i wont have the option to get this one signed.
thats a miss for me, i have quite some signed first editions of books :-(

4 hours ago, HTN02 said:

finished the book today, even tough i finished F&B about a week ago.
to start of: the book is a real eyecatcher. its beautifully made, and inside the art is truly great!

Matches up very nicely with World of Ice & Fire

The story however is a little bit to condensed for my taste. i loved the this one says this and that one said that in F&B, and it is missing. some things i really missed:

-the dragonstone scene with Jaehaeris, Alysanne, and the kingsguard. it had power in F&B that its sorely missing in RotD.
- "*Lord Rogar never wed again". qualifier for most awesome footnote in a fantasy book ever :-D

but i still cant wait till the second book :-) (Fall of the Dragon?)
Unfortunately, i wont have the option to get this one signed.
thats a miss for me, i have quite some signed first editions of books :-(

What other details were cut?

17 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What other details were cut?

Thats a very short question with a very long reply. I cant list them all.

mostly, its the “bickering” between de different accounts of events.
But some examples:

- Aegon II was with a woman not his own wife. No mention of a pre-teen girl thank god.

- The kingsguard protected Jaehaerys and Alysanne from lord Rogar, but there is no mention of what they said. No mention about the castle garrison either. Its all said and done in 2 lines

However, with the more important details, the book is still fuzzy. For example, the burning of harenhall still lists the suspects, but doesnt eleborate on the motives. 

27 minutes ago, HTN02 said:

Thats a very short question with a very long reply. I cant list them all.

mostly, its the “bickering” between de different accounts of events.
But some examples:

- Aegon II was with a woman not his own wife. No mention of a pre-teen girl thank god.

- The kingsguard protected Jaehaerys and Alysanne from lord Rogar, but there is no mention of what they said. No mention about the castle garrison either. Its all said and done in 2 lines

However, with the more important details, the book is still fuzzy. For example, the burning of harenhall still lists the suspects, but doesnt eleborate on the motives. 

Okay, thanks. Did the book keep subplots like Androw Farman poisoning all those girls? I’m more curious if they removed stuff like that than the finer details.

6 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Okay, thanks. Did the book keep subplots like Androw Farman poisoning all those girls? I’m more curious if they removed stuff like that than the finer details.

you are welcome :-)

They left all the big details in (as far as i can tell), also Andrew poisoning the people at Dragonstone. it only mentions the first and last victims unfortunately. it does have a great illustration of Andrew leaping towards his death.

38 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Now here’s the real question: did they cut Coryanne Wylde? ;)

They did not. They even have made a illustration of her in bed :drunk:

Spoiler

When she’s old and telling her tale to be written down. Sorry :P

The most crucial detail that was added is that Corwyn Velaryon is identified as the eldest son of Daemon Velaryon and the father of the Sea Snake.

We also have it confirmed that Martyn Tyrell - husband of the real Master of Coin, Florence Fossoway - was not, in fact, the eldest son of Lord Bertrand Tyrell and thus his successor as Lord of Highgarden but rather a younger son of Lord Bertrand and thus not the Lord Tyrell of Highgarden.

Art-wise I must say that it is not funny to have Daemon, Daemon, Daemon, and Daemon (and some Rhaenyras) during the section on Viserys I but no depiction of the actual king. The only picture of Viserys I we get in the book is that of his corpse ... and that only in the section of the reign of Aegon II. Oh, and we get him as a babe while riding with his mother.

We also have no picture of Queen Aemma Arryn or Baelon the Brave. Prince Aemon's death is depicted.

A kind of glaring error with the picture description I chanced is picture which clearly depicts the arrival of the Lads in KL claiming it depicts the return of Aegon III to KL. Which it doesn't - Aegon the Younger returned to KL with his uncle, Aegon II, some time before, and that was by ship.

The picture shows Aegon III standing next to an elder fellow with Valyrian hair who is likely to be Corlys Velaryon, and they are facing folks who clearly are the Lads.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

We also have it confirmed that Martyn Tyrell - husband of the real Master of Coin, Florence Fossoway - was not, in fact, the eldest son of Lord Bertrand Tyrell and thus his successor as Lord of Highgarden but rather a younger son of Lord Bertrand and thus not the Lord Tyrell of Highgarden.

Really? It's a bit strange that the wife of a younger son of Lord Tyrell would be in charge of Highgarden's accounts.

19 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Really? It's a bit strange that the wife of a younger son of Lord Tyrell would be in charge of Highgarden's accounts.

I imagine the drunkard Lord Bertrand could still recognize talent.

We also know from the books that various Tyrell uncles hold important positions in Highgarden and Oldtown, so it doesn't strike one as unlikely that Bertrand would also turn to his family for such jobs. The guy must have been an older fellow upon his death, having plenty of bastard sons who were causing trouble at Highgarden.

So I bought the audiobook, which comes with a PDF of the illustrations. Very beautiful, as expected. Some thoughts so far:

The Iron Islands are, along with the wildlings, stated to be the north’s greatest enemies. With that in mind, I’m not sure why there weren’t any marriage pacts, like there were over and over again with the Blackwoods/Brackens, but it might be to set up they three regions unifying in the main series (Stannis currently has northerners, wildlings, and Ironborn pledged to him/in his charge). 

There’s a brief mention of kingsmoots and how they ended, which I don’t recall from FnB. Was that in TWOIAF originally?

The north is confirmed as the least populous kingdom, with fewer people than Dorne or the Iron Islands.

Most of the artwork is great, but there are a few (like the one of Rhaenyra with Joffrey and Aegon) that look out of place. I’m stunned we didn’t get a depiction of Daemon killing Aemond. And once again, the image of Larra Rogare looks suspiciously like Amanda Seyfried. 

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

New info alert! ROTD claims Aegon named the first Greyjoy as Lord Paramount of the Iron Islands. Previously, it was said that he let the Ironborn chose their own lord.

I'd assume that is a mistake in the book. Or rather: A half-truth, since Aegon did give the Ironborn permission to choose their own lord ... who then would have been formally named or acknowledged their lord by King Aegon.

The book should have including the choosing since the important point about the Greyjoy rule of the Iron Islands - and the standing they still have with the Ironborn - is that they were chosen their people to rule them, nobody forced the Greyjoys on them.

That is why they rule is actually pretty successful so far.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'd assume that is a mistake in the book. Or rather: A half-truth, since Aegon did give the Ironborn permission to choose their own lord ... who then would have been formally named or acknowledged their lord by King Aegon.

The book should have including the choosing since the important point about the Greyjoy rule of the Iron Islands - and the standing they still have with the Ironborn - is that they were chosen their people to rule them, nobody forced the Greyjoys on them.

That is why they rule is actually pretty successful so far.

@Ran What say you?

Archived