Are the Starks victims?

The Commentator

The kids are victms. Robb, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon were all pushed into a mess they did not created. Robb was the one with the most agency of all the siblings but he got stucked into a unwinable situation that was imposible to predict.

Ned and Catelyn doomed their family.

Ned choosing to show mercy to a monster, and Catelyn pretty much started the mess on a panic decision by kidnaping Tyrion and later on seal their fate by betraying her son in another emotional panic by freeing Jaime.

45 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

The kids are victms. Robb, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon were all pushed into a mess they did not created. Robb was the one with the most agency of all the siblings but he got stucked into a unwinable situation that was imposible to predict.

Ned and Catelyn doomed their family.

Ned choosing to show mercy to a monster, and Catelyn pretty much started the mess on a panic decision by kidnaping Tyrion and later on seal their fate by betraying her son in another emotional panic by freeing Jaime.

Yea, Ned and Cat sort of screwed over their family.

22 minutes ago, sifth said:

Yea, Ned and Cat sort of screwed over their family.

With a sizeable assist from Littlefinger.  And Cersei.  And Lysa.  And Theon.  The list goes on.  GRRM being most to blame by stacking the deck against them.

Rickon and Bran are victims.  The Direwolves are victims of the Stark's character defects.  Lady died because Sansa was selfish.  Greywind died because Robb had no honor.  Ghost may die because Jon is a traitor.  The rest of them are somewhat deserving of suffering.  Jon and Arya made their choice.  The consequences are biting them in the bum.    

The parents were only partly to blame.  They left the safety and isolation of the north for the big city to play at politics and some social climbing.  But Sansa, Robb, and Arya later made bad decisions.  Sansa basically lied to cover for her boyfriend, Joffrey.  Arya made the choice to become an obsessive murderer.  Arya has so far gotten away with it but her murdering will catch up with her.  Jon broke the rules at the watch and got himself assassinated by his own men.  It is not fair to place all the blame on the parents.  

14 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Ygritte's memory. I see him eyeing Val as if he wants to make him a lady wife. Well, Lady commander wife since he's not a lord but a lord cpmmander.

Maybe, but she turned out to be a cold hearted murderess, so I wasn't really mourning her. I was sad for Jon though when she died.

18 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Yeah, neither did I and I didn't like her in the first place either. She literally coerces him into having sexual relations with her and this doesn't just come from a modern perspective either, even by medieval standards and in universe she abused Jon. It may seem like she saved his skin when she told Mance what she told, but she had more on her mind than returning Jon the favor of sparing her life.

Also, was Jon really in a position to refuse? He was ordered to do whatever it took to integrate himself with the Wildlings. Ygritte may have been taking advantage of him unknowingly.

What annoys me is that she goes on about how Jon 'knows nothing' but then proves that she knows nothing when she thinks some random run-down tower is a proper castle. Hypocrite.

The modern ones...yes, I'd definitely consider them victims.  Ned, Sansa, Arya, Cat, Bran and Rickon have all been intentionally and specifically targeted by their enemies, and while they've made mis-steps in reacting to that, they're definitely victims.

The ancient ones...no.  If anything, they seem to have been the opposite.

Everything in ASoIaF is grey.

The Starks reap what they sow.  Break your oath and somebody gets pissed enough to make you pay. Robb and Jon betrayed the people they were leading and karma bit them back.  I call that fair.  Arya is a brutal killer and if would only be fair if somebody kills her.  Calling them victims is not appropriate though.  It's more like nature balancing.  They do wrong and they are made to pay.  Cat put the lives of her father's small folk in danger just to learn who tried to kill one son.  She was selfish and forgot her duty to protect the small folk.    

Archived