Football: Has Haaland scored yet?

A Horse Named Stranger

My Benfica supporting buddies say that Nunez is really dangerous playing on the counter when he has lots of space to exploit but tends to struggle to get involved in a game against low blocks due to his passing being poor and his hold up play and movement not being great either. He is a good finisher and has a great shot on him though we've not seen enough of that thus far this season.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Gomez hasn’t had a great start to this season, along with most of the rest of Liverpool’s players, but he’s probably one of the few centre backs in the Premier League who’s not drastically slower than Haaland. I guess we’ll find out if it helps.

Gomez looked both skilled and confident throughout the game, and perhaps it is perhaps because he knows he can stay with Haaland.  But really, Healthy Gomez is as good as any other defender, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Taylor's officiating was variable, moving between bad to oblivious with regular excursions to inconsistent.  I guess this makes for an "exciting" game, but it is also likely that my neighbors don't need to hear obscenities shouted so early in the morning.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:19 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I guess this goes here?:

This is from last season, if I'm not mistaken. There's a documentary series on their takeover of Wrexham on Disney+ called "Welcome to Wrexham". It's pretty good and it's mind blowing to see the stadiums of fifth league clubs and attendance of their matches.

42 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Laughs from four points clear at all the incoming punditry of how, finally, Manchester City might actually have some form of competition for the Premier League title. 

The same happened during the season when Leicester won the league. Everyone saw them at the top and thought "this is fun but they'll slip up sooner or later" and then it went on to "let's see how they do in January" etc. We'll have to wait and see if this season ends as well for Arsenal as that one did for Leicester. I know I'd prefer Arsenal to City winning the league though that's not saying much. I'd prefer pretty much everyone except United over City.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'd say it's pretty much nailed on. The top 3 plus Chelsea are looking good. Unless Liverpool turn it around then it's 3 from 4. 

The season is long!

I think talk of us being anywhere close to the title is far fetched, but if we're anywhere close come January, we should strengthen on the wings & at CM.

11 minutes ago, baxus said:

The same happened during the season when Leicester won the league. Everyone saw them at the top and thought "this is fun but they'll slip up sooner or later" and then it went on to "let's see how they do in January" etc. 

Leicester did really well, obviously, but they were helped out more than a little by all the big clubs having a poor season at the same time. City are not going to roll over and let Arsenal win the league. 

It’d be nice to think somebody other than City will win the league but I’m not seeing it. I don’t think that should undermine how we view Arsenal’s season by the way, just because they don’t overhaul this City juggernaut doesn’t mean they haven’t been excellent.

9 minutes ago, baxus said:

The same happened during the season when Leicester won the league. Everyone saw them at the top and thought "this is fun but they'll slip up sooner or later" and then it went on to "let's see how they do in January" etc. We'll have to wait and see if this season ends as well for Arsenal as that one did for Leicester. I know I'd prefer Arsenal to City winning the league though that's not saying much. I'd prefer pretty much everyone except United over City.

The difference being that in 2015/2016 there was no team in the league nearly as good as this City side. Would be nice if another team (other than Liverpool) win it though. 

5 hours ago, baxus said:

This is from last season, if I'm not mistaken. There's a documentary series on their takeover of Wrexham on Disney+ called "Welcome to Wrexham". It's pretty good and it's mind blowing to see the stadiums of fifth league clubs and attendance of their matches.

I think you're right, the clip might be old. And I'm aware of the series, just haven't gotten to it yet. There's never enough time with the avalanche of content that's out there. 

@ljkeane, @Consigliere I'm not a betting man, but if I had to place money on who wins the league this season I would would put it on City. Despite the great position they're in at the moment I still think Arsenal's not likely to win the league, but the whole point is that we thought the same for Leicester.

And as far as big clubs having a bad season, we have Liverpool, Chelsea and United all performing below expectations (unrealistic as some of those expectations may be), and we can say the same for City, too. Not that City is out of the title race or anything, but with the squad at their disposal and having one of the best managers in the world, we all thought at the beginning of the season they'd be running away with it at this point already.

P.S. I didn't forget Tottenham, don't worry. I think they'll stumble sooner or later and find it funny how everyone sees them as all but guaranteed top 4 place.

Man City are performing though.

They beat the lesser teams convincingly and their goal difference is +23. Compared to Arsenal's +14 and Tottenham's +12 meaning they have to grind out wins rather than dominate like City does.

If Arsenal are still 1st in March, then I'll believe. Otherwise top 4 is the most that should be expected from them which is also their target.

Tottenham aren't going to win the league but their goal is top 4 which I think they'll do. They'll stumble but I don't think it'll be enough to finish outside CL spots.

I don't think Arsenal are deep enough at this point to win the league. They're already starting to wear down a little bit and with the World Cup, who knows. That being said, they have a lot of free time while the World Cup is going on to work on January transfers which could be a blessing and Arsenal doesn't have a ton participating at this point in the WC so they might not be as worn down as other teams. This is such a weird season, anything could happen.

15 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Definitely disgusting, but I'm not familiar with the history here. What's their basis for the chant?

Probably a reference to the Heysel stadium disaster.

Or sometimes a reference to Hillsborough where The Sun newspaper fabricated stories blaming Liverpool fans for the disaster and football tribalism has resulted in some opposition fans still repeating the lies spread by The Sun.

Archived