Football: Has Haaland scored yet?

A Horse Named Stranger

hahahaha Ronaldo didn't come on so he strode off in a sulk before the end of the game

eta: anyway, we kicked their dicks in. The fact that it was only 2-0 considering the dominance is a little bit of a concern and we still do need a true no9, but Lloris played really well, Rashford made a lot happen even if his finishing was awry, and overall that was our best performance of the season by miles.  

The United-Spurs game went in the worst possible way for teams that are set up in a low block. Defend with their lives not to concede, eventually commit some individual mistakes that cost them a goal; and then being unable to get back into the game. 

Those mistakes are not unlucky, however, but a product of the reactive way of playing. The players lose concentration due to the pressure of being reactive to the opponent's relentless attacking. 

Conte got what he deserved that's for sure. 

Great game by Ten Hag & United.

One of the main things Ten Hag has done is get Bruno to calm down and trust his team-mates. Where last season he was panicking and dropping deep to make all the play happen himself, meaning he'd have to chase hard to be in the final third for his main job and not be able to focus on actually getting into the crafty spaces he works best in, now he's much more happy to quietly drift about up there, find a gap he can be passed to in and break the lines. Working well with our fullbacks too (Dalot has been increasingly good as the season's gone on and I think at some point I forgot how young he is). Even when he is deep, he's much more happy to trust them to carry the ball forward, meaning he isn't playing hero-ball to the forwards from 40 yards as often.

I hope we can buy a couple of attackers in January, our defence is really solid, we have good midfielders and forwards but not much depth. If rumoured bids for Maddison and Diaby come off we would be on great shape.

We could be lucky that most of our best players either won't go, or if they do are not likely starters for teams that will go deep into the WC tournament.  I'm quietly confident of at least 7th now. 

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hope we can buy a couple of attackers in January, our defence is really solid, we have good midfielders and forwards but not much depth. If rumoured bids for Maddison and Diaby come off we would be on great shape.

We could be lucky that most of our best players either won't go, or if they do are not likely starters for teams that will go deep into the WC tournament.  I'm quietly confident of at least 7th now. 

5th. we are actually that good!

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

hahahaha Ronaldo didn't come on so he strode off in a sulk before the end of the game

Might be worse than that. There's been reports that Ronaldo refused to come on and then left.

United have also just confirmed that he's been dropped from the squad for the next match so there's probably truth to those reports.

I'm glad EtH started making the hard decisions – dropping Maguire and Shaw and only playing Ronaldo when he has no other choice due to injuries. Shaw has come back well and is performing again. Hopefully Maguire does the same – he'll never be top class but he was a reliable player for us for two seasons. Ronaldo is a lost cause and hopefully we can get rid of him in January. He's also told the board to stop all contract negotiations until he decides who warrants an extension.

Just now, Consigliere said:

I'm glad EtH started making the hard decisions – dropping Maguire and Shaw and only playing Ronaldo when he has no other choice due to injuries.

What's good to see is he doesn't necessarily favour his favourites either. Malacia had a good start but after a wobbly few games, Shaw's back in. 

But yeah, The Athletic reporting on the Ronaldo thing. So probably credible-ish at least. 

Soo... 

At what point do we get to the big second part of the Gerrard vs Lampard debate: the "who's the worst manager"-part?

I sorta hope still that Lampard can get a grip at Everton, and honestly .. he's had less time than Gerrard. But neither really look like they're anything more than the new Steve Bruce atm.

8 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

But neither really look like they're anything more than the new Steve Bruce atm.

lil harsh- he was never a Big Sam but Bruce was quite a good manager for quite a long time, did well at Birmingham, Wigan and Hull. The Sunderland mess aside it didn't really start to go wrong until after his health problems, and unless you count just 'being Steven Gerrard' as a health problem, those two haven't run into that yet... 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

lil harsh- he was never a Big Sam but Bruce was quite a good manager for quite a long time, did well at Birmingham, Wigan and Hull. The Sunderland mess aside it didn't really start to go wrong until after his health problems, and unless you count just 'being Steven Gerrard' as a health problem, those two haven't run into that yet... 

Might be just Gerrard, then. Mostly I remember Bruce as "ok, but never more than that". Which Everton are now. Unadventurous, relatively solid at the back, struggling for creativity, but getting enough results. 

Gerrard's team didn't quite get that last part in order.

Archived