Football: Has Haaland scored yet?

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Considering it's less than a month away now, when do we get to draw for random teams to represent us at Blood Cup?

I think there's sorta tacit agreement between the regulars on this thread to ignore the tournament for most part. 

Personally, I'd also find it kinda distasteful to celebrate the festival human rights abuses and several thousand dead construction workers with this silly little forum game.

But each to their own.

Emery is a gentleman, and a great coach. But unless he has dramatically improved his English communication protocols - either by learning to speak in a fashion in which people are able to understand just the most basic of instructions, or by hiring an interpreter - he's fucking doomed.

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Emery is a gentleman, and a great coach. But unless he has dramatically improved his English communication protocols - either by learning to speak in a fashion in which people are able to understand just the most basic of instructions, or by hiring an interpreter - he's fucking doomed.

Think he'll be much better at a bottom table club than Arsenal. He doesn't need to be perfect to get them to mid table.

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Think he'll be much better at a bottom table club than Arsenal. He doesn't need to be perfect to get them to mid table.

Yeah, but wherever you are in the table, you need to be able to tell your players what to do. He's got two natural Spanish speakers in his squad. And quite a lot of English players.

Ultimately, his inability to communicate was why he failed at Arsenal. And once the players are giving it all "Good ebening,"" behind your back, you're finished.

I'm sure lessons have been learned. I wish him well. 

Just now, Spockydog said:

Yeah, but wherever you are in the table, you need to be able to tell your players what to do. He's got two natural Spanish speakers in his squad. And quite a lot of English players.

Ultimately, his inability to communicate was why he failed at Arsenal. And once the players are giving it all "Good ebening,"" behind your back, you're finished.

I'm sure lessons have been learned. I wish him well. 

It was a few years ago and I think his english has improved but that wasn't his entire issue. The biggest issue for Emery is he has no actual style or vision of his own. He likes to tailor his team to the opponents but has no way to impose his own system and will on the team and force them to adapt to him. As a result, he had the wrong players for that, no vision for how to get the best out of his players or get the right players in and his communication issues were exacerbated by constantly changing the system. 

For a mid-table team, this is fine. Set up in a low block and look for areas of exploitation based on what the opponents do and get some close wins. For a side with top 4 aspirations and ultimately CL success, this was never going to work.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

He likes to tailor his team to the opponents but has no way to impose his own system and will on the team and force them to adapt to him. As a result, he had the wrong players for that, no vision for how to get the best out of his players or get the right players in and his communication issues were exacerbated by constantly changing the system. 

Yeah, you're right. But to be fair to Unai, he wanted Wilf Zaha but got Pepe, and asked for Stephen Nzonzi but instead got Lucas Torreira.

Not that it probably would have made much difference. And at the end of the day, the entire Emery debacle brought us to where we are today and gave us Arteta, so I'm grateful to him for that.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, you're right. But to be fair to Unai, he wanted Wilf Zaha but got Pepe, and asked for Stephen Nzonzi but instead got Lucas Torreira.

Not that it probably would have made much difference. And at the end of the day, the entire Emery debacle brought us to where we are today and gave us Arteta, so I'm grateful to him for that.

Truth. I'm happy he's getting another shot in the PL and hope he's successful. Nothing but love here.

Emery's english also got better. Wish him nothing but success with Villa. It was also fine margins with Arsenal at times, if Auba scores the penalty against Spurs we would have made top 4. The EL final performance was disappointing and the season he left we were very poor ofc.

Interesting pair of graphs here. The fact that Kane barely moves on the bottom axis between the two suggests Spurs are really playing low-percentage football in the final third, really have to get everything right.

And Bruno is the reverse, almost every pass he makes breaks lines. Which has worked much better this season to be fair but does show he's not a control player at all.  

Archived