U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

So here we are watching video on CNN, in the bunker of Pelosi and Schumer shot by Pelosi's daughter, who was present that day, making a doc of her mom, while CNN is playing on a screen in the bunker, of what the coupsters were doing and reporting on it.

Schumer and Pelosi didn't get where they are by being purring kitties, all right.  They never lost their shyte, nor showed fear, though occasionally it did look as though Pelosi was a bit shaky.  But they never went dysfunctional, rather, just the opposite.  They were active, not sitting around like the reichlians, doing nothing, waiting to be rescued from the shyte storm they contributed to blowing in on them.  Sort of the story of the US since Nixon, whether the economy, you name it.

So we see this on the same day the SCOTUS unanimously refused to protect 45 from an investigation into his espionage for the enemies of the US to its enemies in a single sentence:  “The application to vacate the stay entered by the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit on Sept. 21, 2022, presented to Justice Thomas and by him referred to the court is denied.”  Guess his usefulness to them is at an end.  So we are witnessing the process of the reichlicans discarding him.  Not that we're going to get anything better, only more competent and self-controlled fascists to terrorize us.

The root of 'trump' means 'triumph'.  We will see as he fades out of mortal significance, all his heirs howling at each other, as happened after Mohammed croaked, as to who is the most rightful heir keeping the prophet's vision with the most purity.  So . . . .

So this was a pretty eye-popping poll that shockingly (not shocking) didn't get any coverage.  Susquehanna ran matchups for both Trump vs. Biden or Harris.  Biden beat Trump 48 to 44.  Harris beat Trump 54 to 39.  Now it was commissioned by The Federalist which...ick, but Susquehanna is a legit firm.  And it's obviously just one poll and blah, blah, blah.  But quite curious how when Harris overperforms - to a marked degree - the media isn't all over it.  Hm.

Anyway, I'm not linking to The Federalist, but here's a link to the crosstabs.  The item starts on page 31 of 63 (Table 29). 

Something I have been seeing in the comments to political articles and real-world conversations these past couple of weeks (as well as in a clip or two posted in FB by far-right sorts)

The partial rehabilitation of Trump.

These people freely fess up to Trump not being a good person. Did Trump tick people off, frequently without good reason? Yes. Did Trump have some shady dealings? Yes. That stuff is kind of an admission on its own. 

Then they go, 'well, these complaints are all about Trump the person, not his policies. Most people seemed to be on board with those.' Which is a bit of a stretch, to put it mildly.

Then they'll go on for a while and go, 'we need somebody who will do the same stuff as Trump who isn't quite as Trumpy.' Cue DeSantis.

That said, I saw a poll today claiming 'Ron Jon' now had a solid lead over his D challenger. And the Walker stuff is getting downright vicious.

5 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Then they go, 'well, these complaints are all about Trump the person, not his policies. Most people seemed to be on board with those.' Which is a bit of a stretch, to put it mildly.

Similar to Richard Nixon and Watergate, especially after the tapes came out.  Nixon however, corrupt as he was, had some real achievements.  And like WG, the public was constantly yelling for his impeachment/indictments ect,.

Nixon was so rehabilitated that when he died it seemed hard to get the many in the media to mention WG.  Trump is (thankfully) not a sitting prez, but he will still be handled carefully.   As for those who want to get the nod for the nomination, ewwwww!  

Trump Organization assets should be frozen, New York attorney general asks court
Tish James warned the state Supreme Court that Trump might be shifting his assets outside of New York — and the reach of its courts.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/13/trump-organization-tish-james-00061662

NEW YORK — Attorney General Tish James asked a state court Thursday to freeze the Trump Organization’s New York assets and install an independent monitor in her civil suit targeting the former president and his real estate business.

James alleged last month a years-long scheme to fraudulently overvalue the Trump Organization’s portfolio by billions of dollars. And on Thursday, she warned the state Supreme Court that Trump might be shifting his holdings outside of New York — and the reach of its courts.

“Since we filed this sweeping lawsuit last month, Donald Trump and the Trump Organization have continued those same fraudulent practices and taken measures to evade responsibility,” she said in a statement. “Today, we are seeking an immediate stop to these actions because Mr. Trump should not get to play by different rules.”

The allegations are the latest new strand in Trump’s expanding web of legal woes, which stretches nationwide as he tangles with lawsuits and probes related to classified presidential documents in Florida, the ramifications of the Jan. 6 riots in Washington and fallout from his election denial in several states. It also ratchets up an long-running battle between New York’s top lawyer and the ex-president.

In the new court papers, James says Trump incorporated a new “Trump Organization LLC” in Delaware on Sept. 15, then registered the company with New York as “Trump Organization II LLC” on the day her lawsuit was filed on Sept. 21.

James’ suit seeks monetary penalties up to $250 million and an order blocking Trump from real estate transactions in New York for five years — moves that could doom his unraveling empire. But she now says his lawyers won’t assure her that Trump’s not moving assets out of state in advance.

Heather Cox Richardson substack:

" ... Still, after all today’s news, the final word belonged to Pelosi. On a video from January 6 released tonight, she is seen reacting to the news that Trump was intending to go to the Capitol, the seat of our elected government, where presidents traditionally must not go without an invitation. Told he might arrive, she responded to her chief of staff: 

“I hope he comes, I’m gonna punch him out… I’ve been waiting for this. For trespassing on the Capitol grounds. I’m gonna punch him out, I’m gonna go to jail, and I’m gonna be happy.” ...."

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Ron Johson… Republican Senator from Wisconsin… will this hurt him?

Be nice if it did. But this is still Wisconsin and that debate was on the Marquette campus, which skews a little more liberal than one would think for a catholic, Jesuit University...

But Johnson needs to go. 

Look at Hawley!  See How He Runs!  All By Himself, For Himself.  Every Man For Himself! Run, run, run, run away!

Look at Pelosi.  See how she walks, in a group, multi-tasking, working in cooperation with Schumer and others.

Yet STILL these asshole males believe THEY are entitled to decide everything about women, including forcing them to have babies.     

Look at Pelosi. Tell me again: How are women too emotional for politics?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/10/13/pelosi-jan-6-hearing/

Don't you know Hawley starting a revolution looks like a meme. 

He incites crowds

and pretends he's there.

Dumb people get riled up,

and he pretends he's there.

Don't you watch him run, run, run, run, run, run

Run, run, run, run, run, run,

Oh I said you watch him run, run, run, run, run, run

Run, run, run, run, run, run.

(with apologies to Tracy Chapman)

28 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

He incites crowds

and pretends he's there.

Dumb people get riled up,

and he pretends he's there.

Don't you watch him run, run, run, run, run, run

Run, run, run, run, run, run,

Oh I said you watch him run, run, run, run, run, run

Run, run, run, run, run, run.

(with apologies to Tracy Chapman)

Well done!   

Here's a little ditty I saw going around yesterday.

24 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bye, bye, Josh-o

Whitey cowardice

Have you got any balls, man?

Run, run, run, run, run (x10)

You've got to run like that Hawley-dope, he's got no soul

Run like that Hawley-dope, he's got no soul

JFC, I just started the Warnock debate. Herschel  somehow speaks in full sentences. is well-prepped and projects strength. What did they inject him with?! (Even though he doesn't make much real sense.) Warnock looks weak, evades questions... Hope it'll get better. Kill me now.

In case someone outside the US wants to watch:

ETA: After about 20 minutes, Warnock seems to have woken up.

ETA: Holy shit, that was bad. I had flashbacks to that Hilary/ Dumb debate.

To get owned on questions like bible/ abortion, or child support, or... anything, really, by Herschel frigging Walker. And have no reply when he says "Don't bear false witness!" when one is a freaking pastor and the sentence was uttered by a pathological liar. Structure of the debate and questions were clearly geard towards Walker, but still.

Dems: "When they go low, we just shrug and later get high."

Caption this:

My take "Anybody here have an abortion?"

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure why you think it went badly. The clips I've seen have been terrible for Walker. Or just this:

Well, of course he was terrible, but I think he managed to railroad Warnock and also come across as more sane and coherent than he is.

The badge stunt was wild.

PS: I'd really like to see a poll of who people think was better in this debate. I suspect it would be 50/50, which... ugh.

On a brighter note, this is a fun campaign ad for Brian Bengs for South Dakota:

Didnt watch the debates, but the good news is that they dont really matter. At any rate, Warnock is doing another one, I think, with Walker absent but with the libertarian candidate present - in other stuff that wont matter.

From now on its all about turnout and not letting Kemp suppress the vote too much to offset the slight lead Warnock currently has.

Archived