U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

39 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So what they are really saying is that brave ser Tulsi quitting the Democratic party was not enough to avert nuclear war, therefore an admission that ser Tulsi is a foreign relations / policy non-entity.

Good call!   :rofl:

Herschel Walker defends use of ‘honorary’ sheriff’s badge in Georgia Senate debate

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/16/politics/herschel-walker-police-badge-georgia-senate-race/index.html

Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker defended pulling out a sheriff’s badge during Friday’s closely watched debate in Georgia, telling NBC in an interview that aired on Sunday it was “a legit,” but honorary badge from his hometown sheriff’s department.

Walker had pulled out the badge during a discussion over support for police – in a move that was admonished by the debate moderators and led to widespread mockery from Democrats.

“This is from my hometown. This is from Johnson County from the sheriff from Johnson County, which is a legit badge,” Walker told NBC’s Kristen Welker in a clip from the interview.

A CNN fact check found Walker has never had a job in law enforcement. He has publicized a card showing that he was at some point after 2004 named an “honorary agent” and “special deputy sheriff” in Cobb County, Georgia – titles that do not confer arrest authority.

From the impressions given by others of the debate I feel like Walker won by virtue of the fact that Warnock didn't absolutely wipe the floor with him. Did Warnock under-prepare because he thought the debate would be a walk in the park, and thus got caught out, or is he actually not all that great himself?

46 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Did Warnock under-prepare because he thought the debate would be a walk in the park, and thus got caught out, or is he actually not all that great himself?

No, it's purely the expectations game.  Walker would have had to literally light himself on fire to "lose" that debate.

Anyway, I can't believe how much discussion has been devoted to this.  Debates have never mattered much, at least for the most part, and they certainly don't today.

In my case, mostly expectations. Not just of Walker - he can't string together one coherent sentence in interviews - but also of Warnock. He's a pastor, so I guess I automatically assume superior rhetoric strength. I assume he or his team thought Walker would destroy himself. That said, the rules (extremely short time for answering) were favorable to Walker.

It's kind of funny that Tulsi's fans still pretend she's "anti-war," which afaik has never been true - she was only against certain wars, not others.

NYT/Siena (and I suspect a few other ones) show Republicans gaining ground. At this point I believe the Rs will flip Nevada, the Ds will flip PA, and it all hinges on GA (OH, WI and NC will go the the Rs). I'm a bit pessimistic today, so my thought is Walker will prevail as well, resulting in a 51-49 Senate in favor of the Republicans. The House is a lost cause

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

NYT/Siena (and I suspect a few other ones) show Republicans gaining ground. At this point I believe the Rs will flip Nevada, the Ds will flip PA, and it all hinges on GA (OH, WI and NC will go the the Rs). I'm a bit pessimistic today, so my thought is Walker will prevail as well, resulting in a 51-49 Senate in favor of the Republicans. The House is a lost cause

If you really want to be pessimistic, consider the possibility of Sinema saying "fuck it" and flipping parties in a 50-50 Senate next year. Meaning Democrats would actually need to hit 51 to maintain the majority.

DOJ recommends 6-month jail term for Bannon
A jury found Bannon guilty in July on two misdemeanor counts of contempt of Congress.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/17/doj-recommends-six-month-jail-term-for-bannon-00062059

The Justice Department is recommending a six-month jail sentence and $200,000 fine for Steve Bannon, the longtime adviser to Donald Trump who defied a subpoena to the Jan. 6 select committee.

Prosecutors said Bannon, from the moment he received the select committee subpoena on Sept. 2021, “has pursued a bad-faith strategy of defiance and contempt.”

8 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

DOJ recommends 6-month jail term for Bannon
A jury found Bannon guilty in July on two misdemeanor counts of contempt of Congress.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/17/doj-recommends-six-month-jail-term-for-bannon-00062059

Long enough to ensure he has a shower and a thorough delousing, hopefully.

It's not the polls that worry me:

On 10/17/2022 at 10:42 AM, mormont said:

Ye ready to adopt the popular right wing tactic of avoiding social media bans by simply buying your own social media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63285698

Hopefully nobody was using Parler because it's about to get kicked off the app stores again. 

A lovely purchase for Kanye to lose millions on.

Supreme Court declines to hear case pertaining to racist precedent. No written dissent from the court liberals, though a couple offered verbal condemnations. Far-Right folks in the comments sections are emphasizing the upholding of precedent and linking this case to the Roe V Wade overturn in arguments with those on the Left.

Supreme Court Declines To Take Case Aimed At Overturning 100-Year-Old Racist Precedents (msn.com)

-----

Three American Samoans living in Utah and a Samoan nonprofit petitioned the court in Fitisemanu v. U.S. to overturn the Insular Cases, the court’s early 20th-century precedents that enabled the country’s colonial expansion by allowing it to absorb overseas territories populated by non-white peoples while denying them equal rights or a path to statehood.

“It’s a punch in the gut for the Justices to leave in place a ruling that says I am not equal to other Americans simply because I was born in a U.S. territory,” John Fitisemanu, the lead plaintiff in the case, said in a statement. “I was born on U.S. soil, have a U.S. passport, and pay my taxes like everyone else. But because of a discriminatory federal law, I am not recognized as a U.S. citizen.”

The Insular Cases that deny people like Fitisemanu equal rights as citizens were explicitly founded on racist premises. The cases, which occurred from 1901 to 1922, claimed that the people of the overseas territories the U.S. conquered in the Spanish-American War came from “savage tribes” and “alien” and “uncivilized race[s]” who were “absolutely unfit to receive” the rights provided by the Constitution. The court invented a new legal class of “unincorporated territory” for the colonial possessions taken from Spain that denied them equal rights and statehood.

7 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Good to read ya bird 

The thought just occurred to me that the Atlanta Braves, who come under criticism for the name and mascot, should just drop the “s” and call themselves the Atlanta Brave. Then they could use a US military figure as their symbol, show off their patriotism, do a nudge-nudge wink-wink to the past, and demolish the critics! A win-win-win-win situation! They can do half price days for people in the military! Wrap themselves in the flag!

eta: a nudge-nudge wink-wink to Trump! That should be popular! (Wrap themselves in the flag)

46 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The thought just occurred to me that the Atlanta Braves, who come under criticism for the name and mascot, should just drop the “s” and call themselves the Atlanta Brave. Then they could use a US military figure as their symbol, show off their patriotism, do a nudge-nudge wink-wink to the past, and demolish the critics! A win-win-win-win situation! They can do half price days for people in the military! Wrap themselves in the flag!

eta: a nudge-nudge wink-wink to Trump! That should be popular! (Wrap themselves in the flag)

Whatever moves that merch! 

You seem cynicized. It's going around. I'm an aggravating condition, I'm afraid.

But c'mon, it was a good run. We did pretty good, America and Canada both, at making progress. There were good years! 

Oprah! Ellen! The Double Stuffed Oreo! What a wonderful and indolent culture we were. No need to be sad :)

Archived