U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

At some point the fact that the relevant majority (relevant!) will elect mental invalids, rapists, and aspiring Nazis to lead them isn't a joke anymore. 

I mean, right? 

Now that the cartoon exhibition is over and we all know now how deep the conspiracy of January 6th went and the hourglass of wilful delusion you people call hope draws short; are we allowed to confront the fact that the criminals got away with it, will do it again, and the (relevant) majority of Americans can't be bothered to care? 

I mean Nancy Pelosi is such a BADASS! She was gonna sock that bully president a good one wasn't she! Thank GOD I know that now, and they saved it for the finale too, as she through inaction condones the use of political violence and blatant disregard for democratic processes that will now become De jour. 

How's that awareness raising going of the crimes that were committed in broad daylight, on TV, at the expressed (multiple) public (times) urging of the sitting president? Is the party that has wholly committed to his illegal activities going to be punished, you think? 

16 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

At some point the fact that the relevant majority (relevant!) will elect mental invalids, rapists, and aspiring Nazis to lead them isn't a joke anymore. 

I mean, right? 

Now that the cartoon exhibition is over and we all know now how deep the conspiracy of January 6th went and the hourglass of wilful delusion you people call hope draws short; are we allowed to confront the fact that the criminals got away with it, will do it again, and the (relevant) majority of Americans can't be bothered to care? 

I mean Nancy Pelosi is such a BADASS! She was gonna sock that bully president a good one wasn't she! Thank GOD I know that now, and they saved it for the finale too, as she through inaction condones the use of political violence and blatant disregard for democratic processes that will now become De jour. 

How's that awareness raising going of the crimes that were committed in broad daylight, on TV, at the expressed (multiple) public (times) urging of the sitting president? Is the party that has wholly committed to his illegal activities going to be punished, you think? 

I wish the left had conservatives blind assuredness for victory.

7 hours ago, Leofric said:

I think i got one of the those honorary badges when I was six, but its been quite a few years since I flashed it and tried to get anyone to "Respect my authoritey!".

I thought it was spelled authoritay. 

I think it is incorrect to say debates don't mean anything. I think debates are of no worth in winning an election, but I think you can lose elections by doing badly in debates. The performance metric for determining if you've done badly doesn't really differ between parties, and it really makes no difference what your opponent says. The only thing that matters is how you come across in what you say. If you mostly say the right things from your base's perspective your base will turn out for you. If your performance is so bad it demoralises the base then they won't turn out and you risk losing, esp in a tight race. So in debates you have everything to lose and nothing to gain, I think. But you have to do them.

30 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think debates are of no worth in winning an election, but I think you can lose elections by doing badly in debates.

Yes, this used to be true in terms of huge and indelible gaffes.  It certainly no longer is for the GOP.  I suppose it possibly could for the Dems, but I honestly can't think of a recent example.

More terribleness due to abortion laws - clearly harmful to patients

Amanda Zurawski was 18 weeks pregnant and out walking near her home in Austin, Texas, when she felt abnormal discharge and "what felt like water running down my leg."

Because doctors weren't able to perform an abortion, Amanda was at risk for infection. She became sick with sepsis, a life-threatening condition. By the time she went to the hospital 3 days later to deliver her baby, she was feverish and weak.

"It took three days at home until I became sick 'enough' that the ethics board at our hospital agreed we could begin medical treatment; three days until my life was considered at risk 'enough' for the inevitable premature delivery of my daughter to be performed; three days until the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals were allowed to do their jobs," she writes in a first-person essay for The Meteor, a media company committed to storytelling around issues of gender equity.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Yes, this used to be true in terms of huge and indelible gaffes.  It certainly no longer is for the GOP.  I suppose it possibly could for the Dems, but I honestly can't think of a recent example.

I think as long as your performance keeps your base energised then you have ensured a debate has done no harm to your electoral chances. What is needed to keep the base energised differs from party to party. IN some cases coming across as an unhinged loon will energise the base, and not coming across as an unhinged loon will depress the base.

In terms of when the transition happened from sane(ish) conservatism to insane conservatism, IMO it really started when the excuse given for losing elections became "they were not conservative enough", which meant an incessant demand to find ever more conservative candidates. I think maybe Bush Snr's loss to Clinton might have been the first time that reason was used. It was certainly applied to McCain when he lost in 2008, and I think even applied retrospectively to Bush Jnr.

30 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In terms of when the transition happened from sane(ish) conservatism to insane conservatism, IMO it really started when the excuse given for losing elections became "they were not conservative enough",

I think the transition began when LBJ signed the CRA.   1968 began the Southern Strategy and its deep racism.    Nixon played his part and including his deep corruption with his ratfuckers, spying on Dem campaigns and his use of the DOJ and FBI as his men, not the countries men.  Getting in bed with the evangelicals, a dishonest corrupt bunch of folks being invited into politics.  In 1973 the RvW legalized abortion and the gloves really began to come off.  What's a little misogyny among friends, eh?

Let's not forget Rush Limbaugh (:ack:) others of his ilk and the rise of Fox News.   The rot of the GOP goes deep, and it's fkn ugly.  

15 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

I mean, right? 

I'm torn between thinking that if the media and Dems hadn't breathlessly implied that everything Trump did since 2016 was going to result in impeachment, jail, and then utopia, that maybe the Jan 6th stuff would have landed harder.  Instead it was just the next thing in Trump Did A Whole Lot of Bad Stuff, which is as much an indictment of the American public as anything else; the countervailing force involved in the tearing action is the possibility that the pee tape is real.

20 minutes ago, mormont said:

The problem there is that much of what Trump did since 2016 was worthy of impeachment and jail. Should Dems have pretended it wasn't? Obviously not.

No- kind of my point.  As soon as they had the house in 2018 they should have impeached for violating the emoluments clause.  Instead it ended up looking like a witch hunt, all smoke and no fire.  

Archived