U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I said a coup was going on and the military needed to be called in immediately. And everyone else said, nope, these are just crazies,

Not ME.  So it's not everyone.  Just because I didn't post in agreement didn't mean I didn't see what was going on.  I was watching, not posting.  And being afraid.  Very afraid.  And not surprised in the least.  I was actually surprised Some People managed to avert this and the coupsters went home. To perform mayhem in Toronto not long after.

34 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Arizona Man steadily training to one day overtake Florida Man.

I didn't need for him to do this for me to vote for his opponent, a Democrat, already on my mail-in ballot.

He was running for the supervisory board of the county community college system, yet all he wanted to talk about was dog-whistle Culture War issues.  Completely unfit for purpose.

37 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Arizona Man steadily training to one day overtake Florida Man.

Yeah I saw that earlier.  If you read the story the report says he was looking at his cell phone at the time, so it sounds like he wasn't actually jacking off to preschoolers in his car.  Just around them.  Progress!

9 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't think this was possible.  It may be the case that 17 GOP Senators were inclined to convict on that night, but I don't think you'd get anywhere near that who would agree to expedite the process that quickly.  Also remember that they didn't finish certifying till 3:44 am that night.  Everybody wanted to go to bed.

I think that night was the best chance, in the sense of if the vote was actually held that was the point of maximum GOP votes for it I don't think it would have happened even then though, I don't think they ever would have voted to convict. Just want to distinguish between "voting before they've had time to rationalize would get the most votes" and "was actually feasible and would have worked". The points about how late at night it was are quite reasonable with respect to the feasibility but beside the point if you're just talking about the highest number of futile votes.

13 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Just want to distinguish between "voting before they've had time to rationalize would get the most votes" and "was actually feasible and would have worked".

Well, the latter is all that matters, ultimately.  I get the point that that night was the best time to maximize the potential for GOP votes, but that just simply isn't how the impeachment process works -- even if they weren't busy with certification til almost 4 in the morning.  McConnell and the the GOP leadership would have done everything to block it.  And considering Schumer and McConnell hadn't yet agreed on an organizing resolution in the 50/50 Senate, I'm pretty sure Schumer wouldn't have been able to force a vote on conviction even if he wanted to.

ETA:  Oh, also, Warnock and Ossoff weren't even seated yet.  Which I'm pretty sure means it would have been impossible for Schumer to force a vote.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well, the latter is all that matters, ultimately. 

Yeah, the former was just entirely theoretical and rather pointless lol. Not speaking for Fez though, that's just where I was coming from in agreeing.

The 538 Senate outlook for the Democrats has significantly depreciated (now down to 62/38), although thats more in keeping with what we'd been pegging as the real odds anyways. Fetterman's lead has slowly been whittling down in PA, and Warnock still maintains a tenuous lead in GA, but thats really the best chance for the Dems to hold their 50/50 position.

I am a little bit satisfied with early voting patterns in Georgia. Turnout seems quite robust, which at least means Warnock still has a chance.

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Film the intimidators.  I’m a poll worker if this shit goes down at my precinct… I’m calling law enforcement (I know that has its own problems).

They’re not on your side. :lmao:

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

They’re not on your side. :lmao:

I don’t have authority, as a poll manager, to do anything but tell assholes to leave… which I have.  It usually works but if someone is determined to be a shithead I have no alternative other than calling law enforcement.

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I don’t have authority, as a poll manager, to do anything but tell assholes to leave… which I have.  It usually works but if someone is determined to be a shithead I have no alternative other than calling law enforcement.

Deal with it like a proper Southern gentleman:

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

Voter intimidation in Arizona 

That is a good way to get shot.  Although maybe not in that specific neighborhood of Mesa, which is the heart of the city offices and performing arts centers.  On the other hand, still in Mesa.

I honestly think that some people have lost their minds, or have such a solipsistic worldview that they cannot conceive how other people might ALSO be armed and willing to defend themselves.

Archived