U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Thomas is responsible for emergency appeals from the 11th Circuit.  Just as Barrett is for the 7th circuit and last week unilaterally denied an emergency appeal to block Biden's student loan program.  The order is temporary, and now Thomas can either refer it to the whole court or make a final decision unilaterally.

Yeah, that's fair. I guess it gets my hackles up to see Clarence Thomas in charge by himself on, well, anything.

6 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Yeah, that's fair. I guess it gets my hackles up to see Clarence Thomas in charge by himself on, well, anything.

We'll see!  Since Thomas is overturning the 11th Circuit's decision, the norm would be for him to refer the matter to the entire court.  If he instead opts to decide for Graham on his own, then your hackles should absolutely be up.

Garland, the FBI and other LE officials gave a press conference about the spying of PRC the last ten years or so, including arrests.  It leaked a last Friday by WP that 45 was holding top secret reports, which included information regarding intelligence operations in China.  Are these two related, or am I reading too much into these?

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

IMO it is looking more and more like 2022 is going to be a slightly worse version of 2020 for Dems.  Which, considering they hold the WH and Congress in a midterm, is actually historically very good.  But probably not good enough to avoid losing the House, some governors races and maybe the Senate as well. 

Based on just the economic situation, it would have been pretty bad, but Dobbs is offsetting it to be 'not as bad'. I'll make sure to vote yes on Prop 3 here in Michigan, I think its more important than even the State House/Senate races.

Seeing reports of 45 tapping MTG for his possible running mate.   Should I laff or cry?   Think laffing is the appropriate response here.  

MTG is a sycophant, but not like Pence.  He a apparently adored 45 and even forgave him for siccing his mob on him. 
MTG is too ambitious and narcissistic for that kind of gig.

If she wants to gain political power off the VP methinks she’s making a bad choice.  Plus, she must not realize 45 hates women, he just wants to use her. 

MTG would be a terrible VP candidate for Trump.  Pence was at least popular with evangelicals.  Does Trump think he needs to shore up his standing with crazy voters?  I somehow doubt it. 

This sounds like bullshit rumors. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

MTG would be a terrible VP candidate for Trump.  Pence was at least popular with evangelicals.  Does Trump think he needs to shore up his standing with crazy voters?  I somehow doubt it. 

Reports are saying the idea comes from her.   Terrible VP?  Oh hell yes.  

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

AMERICA’S

ELECTION WORKERS ARE LEAVING IN DROVES

Judith Kosloski used to like her job.

https://apps.bostonglobe.com/nation/politics/2022/10/democracy-under-siege/election-workers-leaving-in-droves/

This is it

This is it

The time to cry has come

When you dream an American dream

All you get is duuuumb 

So you volunteer 

For not even a beer 

So that you can do your paaaart

Youuuuur paaaart 

Yooouuur paaaart 

But what if your part is part of a part that isn't even reeeaaal 

Well then you've got your cue to go to Q and engage with something truuuuuuuu 

Oh Tru, oh Tru, oh Tru Tru Q America needs U!!!!! 

(You're all living inside the bloating carcass of a democracy, I made a song. And if you're not living in America you're living inside the digestive tract of the bloating carcass of a democracy. Up to you whether that's better or worse.

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

This may very well be  unfounded in terms of MTG as an individual. However, at this point I doubt if Trump really cares about anything in a VP pick except to get someone who will be his completely supportive puppet in whatever illegal unconstitutional activities he wants to engage in. 

Just now, Ormond said:

This may very well be  unfounded in terms of MTG as an individual. However, at this point I doubt if Trump really cares about anything in a VP pick except to get someone who will be his completely supportive puppet in whatever illegal unconstitutional activities he wants to engage in. 

Even if that is your only criteria, there are better picks than that.  There are plenty of Republicans who are completely empty suits who low-information voters might still confuse with regular politicians. 

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Even if that is your only criteria, there are better picks than that.  There are plenty of Republicans who are completely empty suits who low-information voters might still confuse with regular politicians. 

Agree, that’s why the talk of MTG puzzles me. Perhaps she’s flying a trial balloon.  

Curtis Yarvin wants American democracy toppled. He has some prominent Republican fans.
The New Right blogger has been cited by Blake Masters and J.D. Vance. What exactly is he advocating?

By Andrew [email protected]  Oct 24, 2

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/23373795/curtis-yarvin-neoreaction-redpill-moldbug

Yarvin has suggested just that — that a new president should simply say he has concluded Marbury v. Madison — the early ruling in which the Supreme Court greatly expanded its own powers — was wrongly decided. He’s also said the new president should declare a state of emergency and say he would view Supreme Court rulings as merely advisory.

Would politicians back this? J.D. Vance, in the podcast mentioned above, said part of his advice for Trump in his second term would involve firing vast swaths of federal employees, “and when the courts stop you, stand before the country like Andrew Jackson did, and say, ‘The chief justice has made his ruling. Now let him enforce it.’”

Archived