U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In multiple clips from his debate DeSantis looks like his human suit is malfunctioning:

Won't matter at all. At this point DeSantis could be caught raping an underage boy and conservatives in FL would still vote for him over Crist. Even Edwin Edwards couldn't have predicted today's state of affairs. 

DuBois and his tenet of abolition-democracy -- Jamelle Bouie goes into it again, so pertinent for these times, as we see the neo fash-nazi-xtian in the US and the UK overt determination to rid themselves forever of such a pesky social-political equilibrium.

... the reason I keep coming back to “Black Reconstruction” is that Du Bois’s mode of analysis can help us (or, at least, me) look past so much of the ephemera of our politics to focus on what matters most: the roles of power, privilege and, most important, capital in shaping our political order and structuring our conflicts with one another.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/25/opinion/reconstruction-civil-war-du-bois.html

.... “What were to be the limits of democratic control in the United States?” Du Bois asks. “Was the rule of the mass of Americans to be unlimited, and the right to rule extended to all men regardless of race and color?” And if not, he continues, “How would property and privilege be protected?”

On one side in the conflict over these questions was “an autocracy determined at any price to amass wealth and power”; on the other was an “abolition-democracy based on freedom, intelligence and power for all men.”

The term “abolition-democracy” began with Du Bois and is worth further exploration.

Abolition-democracy, Du Bois writes, was the “liberal movement among both laborers and small capitalists” who saw “the danger of slavery to both capital and labor.” Its standard-bearers were abolitionists like Wendell Phillips and radical antislavery politicians like Charles Sumner and Thaddeus Stephens, and in its eyes, “the only real object” of the Civil War was the abolition of slavery and “it was convinced that this could be thoroughly accomplished only if the emancipated Negroes became free citizens and voters.”

It was also clear, to some within abolition-democracy, that “freedom in order to be free required a minimum of capital in addition to political rights.” In this way, abolition-democracy was an anticipation of social democratic ideology, although few of its proponents, in Du Bois’s view, grasped the full significance of their analysis of the relationship between political freedom, civil rights and economic security.

Opposing abolition-democracy, in Du Bois’s telling, were the reactionaries of the former Confederate South who sought to “reestablish slavery by force.” The South, he writes, “opposed Negro education, opposed land and capital for Negroes, and violently and bitterly opposed any political power. It fought every conception inch by inch: no real emancipation, limited civil rights, no Negro schools, no votes for Negroes.”

Between these two sides lay Northern industry and capital. It wanted profits and it would join whichever force enabled it to expand its power and reach. Initially, this meant abolition-democracy, as Northern industry feared the return of a South that might threaten its political and economic dominance. It “swung inevitably toward democracy” rather than allow the “continuation of Southern oligarchy,” Du Bois writes.

It’s here that we see the contradiction inherent in the alliance between Northern industry and abolition-democracy. The machinery of democracy in the South “put such power in the hands of Southern labor that, with intelligent and unselfish leadership and a clarifying ideal, it could have rebuilt the economic foundations of Southern society, confiscated and redistributed wealth, and built a real democracy of industry for the masses of men.”

This — the extent to which democracy in the South threatened to undermine the imperatives of capital — was simply too much for Northern industry to bear. And so it turned against the abolition-democracy, already faltering as it was in the face of Southern reaction. “Brute force was allowed to use its unchecked power,” Du Bois writes, “to destroy the possibility of democracy in the South, and thereby make the transition from democracy to plutocracy all the easier and more inevitable.” ....

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Won't matter at all. At this point DeSantis could be caught raping an underage boy and conservatives in FL would still vote for him over Crist. Even Edwin Edwards couldn't have predicted today's state of affairs. 

But I thought the Dems needed to nominate Crist because he gave them a chance to win?

JustinTBrown is a political satirist. Never heard of him before, but clearly that's not real.

Anyway, I came here to post that even Hassan's odds in NH had whittled a little bit. Really hoping there isnt a massive shift in public opinion in the next 2 weeks or a 50/50 senate can easily drift to a 47/53 or something like that.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

JustinTBrown is a political satirist. Never heard of him before, but clearly that's not real.

Correct - it takes one second to click his profile or an additional ten to look at his TL.

A couple of conservative operatives are looking at what amounts to a slap on the wrist after pleading guilty in a voter suppression scheme.

Right-Wing Operatives Plead Guilty in Voter-Suppression Scheme (msn.com)

According to the indictment, Mr. Wohl and Mr. Burkman were each charged with multiple counts of bribery and telecommunications fraud. Those charges were merged into one count each of telecommunications fraud under the plea deal in Ohio, James Gutierrez, an assistant Cuyahoga County prosecutor, said in an interview on Tuesday.

“We made convicted felons out of them,” Mr. Gutierrez said. “Our goal was to make them accountable, and we did.”

Mr. Gutierrez said that the count that the two men pleaded guilty to covered the calls that were made to voters in Cuyahoga County, which includes Cleveland. They face up to a year in prison and a fine of $2,500 when they are sentenced on Nov. 29, he said.

Anyone planning to watch the Fetterman Oz debate tonight? I think Oz has done a very good job campaigning and it shows in the tightening polls. My only fear tonight is that Fetterman might benefit from lowered expectations given his health, but then again I suppose debates don’t do much to shift voter sentiment. 

9 minutes ago, Stark Revenge said:

I think Oz has done a very good job campaigning and it shows in the tightening polls. 

The grift rides on and finds new suckers every day. Enjoy the debate.

19 minutes ago, Stark Revenge said:

Anyone planning to watch the Fetterman Oz debate tonight? I think Oz has done a very good job campaigning and it shows in the tightening polls. My only fear tonight is that Fetterman might benefit from lowered expectations given his health, but then again I suppose debates don’t do much to shift voter sentiment. 

Dr. Oz, U.S. Senator!

Stop fighting it. It will happen, because it needs to.

It's high time folks start internalizing that there is no bottom. 

It will get worse.

7 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Dr. Oz, U.S. Senator!

Stop fighting it. It will happen, because it needs to.

It's high time folks start internalizing that there is no bottom. 

It will get worse.

Just look at Georgia. There's still more bottom to mine. 

13 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Shit, I think Fetterman isn't doing so well. (I think he's never been a good debater.)

He's not, and in general he's not a great public orator. That was never what carried him into office though.

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just look at Georgia. There's still more bottom to mine. 

What about this are you not getting? You ain't mining shit. Dafuq you think you're scooping up into the surface world other than disincorporative ether accumulating towards the unstringing of the existential fabric? 

The universe has expanded enough. It's time for an infinite collapse. 

Black holes are made of imploded Earths. 

Your bottom is not anything. It's everything. 

Sooner than you think.

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Shit, I think Fetterman isn't doing so well. (I think he's never been a good debater.)

The fuck did you think was gonna happen?

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's not, and in general he's not a great public orator. That was never what carried him into office though.

True. I switched off after a while, so maybe he improved. I just think the media will slaughter him, after what they did a couple of weeks ago.

Archived