U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

47 minutes ago, DMC said:

I did say that the other day.  But just to be clear, I am not the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

So sorry, as someone who taught Abnormal Psychology for 34 years, those initials just come to my mind too readily! :)

42 minutes ago, Ormond said:

So sorry, as someone who taught Abnormal Psychology for 34 years, those initials just come to my mind too readily! :)

No worries, thought it was funny!  And yeah, figured that's why too.

You really have to wonder if mainstream outlets like Politico would be emphasizing Fetterman's "difficulties" as much as they are if he hadn't lied about his condition immediately after the stroke.  Which is a reminder every good West Wing viewer knows well - don't lie to the press about your health.

Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., is under federal criminal investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the southern district of New York. A spokesperson for Menendez said they are not sure what the scope of the investigation is, but the Senator will respond to any questions asked.  

46 minutes ago, DMC said:

You really have to wonder if mainstream outlets like Politico would be emphasizing Fetterman's "difficulties" as much as they are if he hadn't lied about his condition immediately after the stroke.  Which is a reminder every good West Wing viewer knows well - don't lie to the press about your health.

I think they would. These are the publications both-siding pronouns vs fascism. So I have no doubts they'd rather discuss Fetterman's issues than the political implications of either candidate winning. (That said, I think he shouldn't have lied.)

13 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

So I have no doubts they'd rather discuss Fetterman's issues than the political implications of either candidate winning.

Oh they certainly would still be discussing it of course.  What I mean is the gross emphasis Politico and (to a lesser extent) The Hill is putting on it.  It seems pretty clear it's sour grapes on behalf of the reporters therein.  And as I mentioned, it's not like this is widespread throughout all outlets.  From what I've seen, CNN, CBS, NBC, and the local newspapers have been able to discuss it without emphasizing Fetterman's "struggles" in their coverage.

It's possible I guess.

Interesting tidbit: Fetterman's campaign had offered that every reporter present could check his equipment (audio translation) beforehand to see there's nothing funny going on. The Oz campaign blocked that. I guess for the right-wingers who now claim F. is a remotely controlled cyborg... *eyeroll*

24 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., is under federal criminal investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the southern district of New York.

Clearly, Menendez is uncomfortable any time he's not under federal investigation.

By his own definition, Walker is... allegedly... a serial killer.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/26/herschel-walker-georgia-senate-abortion-clinic

tl;dr: Republicans are hypocrites. Surprise!

In a statement, Warnock aide Rachel Petri said the allegation is the “the latest example of a troubling pattern we have seen play out again and again and again.”

“Herschel Walker shouldn’t be representing Georgians in the U.S. Senate,” she said.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/second-woman-says-herschel-walker-pressured-her-to-have-abortion/QDFU7547EFEJ7CCEYZPHXJ7FEQ/

11 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

The only disaster here is that to run for statewide office in PA you have to be pro-fracking.  

Not if you can win the Wednesday after vote convincingly enough.

6 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Not that it will matter to voters, but apparently, an imminent press conference will reveal that Herschel pressed a second woman to have an abortion.

Dude is a disaster. If I were to guess right now, I think the Senate ends up being 52-48 GOP-DEM with GOP winning PA, AZ and NV and losing GA. 

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Not if you can win the Wednesday after vote convincingly enough.

I think the allegations of voter fraud by mail having any meaningful impact are nonsense, but I will say it doesn’t help when states can’t count any of the mail on votes prior to Election Day. They should be counting them as they come in, not taking forever to do so on election night and afterwards. Though I find the idea of stolen elections unfounded, I will say I don’t think it is the most transparent way to count votes and helps breed the conspiracy theories we see today. 

The shit is beginning to hit the fan.

PAHRUMP, Nev. (AP) — Ballot counting began slowly Wednesday in a Nevada jurisdiction where officials citing concerns about voting machine conspiracy theories pressed forward with an unprecedented hand tally of votes cast by mail in advance of Election Day.

One group of five people working in a room witnessed by The Associated Press tallied 50 ballots in three hours and nine minutes in Nye County, where about 33,000 people are registered to vote. Similar groups of five people worked in five additional rooms in a county office building in Pahrump, 60 miles (96 kilometers) west of Las Vegas.

Hand ballot counting begins slowly in rural Nevada county | Ap | record-eagle.com

A group of D's filed a motion with the SC asking for the 'State Legislature' theory to be tossed out. In this article and elsewhere, I am seeing a *LOT* of R comments in favor of that theory.

20 Democratic Senators Ask Supreme Court to Reject Once-Fringe Theory in Elections Case (msn.com)

The brief, filed by Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, draws parallels to the checks and balances of the federal government — especially Congress — as a clear indication that the so-called independent state legislature theory runs afoul of the Constitution.

The senators argue that while the Constitution grants state legislatures the responsibility of setting the time, location and manner of federal elections, the Constitution also requires state legislatures to follow the same procedures when making rules for federal elections that they use to make other state laws. The clause, they write, “does not allow state legislatures to bypass the same restrictions imposed by state constitutions — the very documents that create and empower them.”

Trump to hold rally in Florida with Rubio — but not DeSantis
The apparent snub angered some people within DeSantis’ orbit, who complained that the Florida governor’s team was not informed of the rally prior.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/26/trump-rally-florida-rubio-desantis-00063698

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Former President Donald Trump is coming to Miami just two days before Election Day. But one Republican won’t be there — Gov. Ron DeSantis. Not yet anyway.

Trump on Wednesday said he’ll hold a rally with Sen. Marco Rubio on Nov. 6. DeSantis was left off the announcement and an adviser to the former president said the Florida governor is not attending.

The apparent snub angered some people within DeSantis’ orbit, who complained that the Florida governor’s team was not informed of the rally prior to Trump announcing it. The timing of the Trump and Rubio event means any campaign event DeSantis holds that day won’t get as much attention during the all-important final stretch of the 2022 midterms.

“You’ve got the Sunday before Election Day totally hijacked by Trump parachuting in on Trump Force One taking up the whole day,” said a longtime Republican consultant who is close to the governor. “No Republican could go to a DeSantis event that day. None. And DeSantis won’t be here? This is big.”

Another person who is influential in DeSantis’ world said it was “an elbow to Ron’s throat” and blamed Trump advisers.

4 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

By his own definition, Walker is... allegedly... a serial killer.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/26/herschel-walker-georgia-senate-abortion-clinic

tl;dr: Republicans are hypocrites. Surprise!

In a statement, Warnock aide Rachel Petri said the allegation is the “the latest example of a troubling pattern we have seen play out again and again and again.”

“Herschel Walker shouldn’t be representing Georgians in the U.S. Senate,” she said.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/second-woman-says-herschel-walker-pressured-her-to-have-abortion/QDFU7547EFEJ7CCEYZPHXJ7FEQ/

Well, my dear, it ain't up to you. 

Respect the office. :rofl:

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

This is it

This is the end

So write that hate mail and press send 

Because everything you say and do 

Isn't going to matter to 

The New Woooorld

Come along with me and see 

How depraved it's gonna be 

When we are in 

The New Woooorld

Oh a world of joy and cheer 

Built on lies and based in fear 

Everyone the end is near 

But don't you shed a single tear 

Because that end won't be an end 

Of course a world can't really die 

There will always be folks asking why

This pain and hurt must be so real 

When they can up and STOP THE STEAL 

So that's the way this story goes 

I hope I've spoilt your righteous pose 

There are no more knows to know 

Because don't you fucking know that when you bow too low to fear you've let the monster far too near and now he's coming up your path, that great big orange fat psychopath told him once he told him twice, a hundred times it can't be lies, so yes your stupid liberal cries make visual music for his eyes he hopes oh hopes he hopes you die and that is just the reason why...

Your neighbors are gonna kill you. 

In 

The 

New 

Woooorld!

55 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Trump to hold rally in Florida with Rubio — but not DeSantis
The apparent snub angered some people within DeSantis’ orbit, who complained that the Florida governor’s team was not informed of the rally prior.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/26/trump-rally-florida-rubio-desantis-00063698

I’m very much looking forward to DeSantis putting Trump to bed once and for all in the 2024 primaries. 

26 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

This is the end

I'm not sure if this is based on The Doors song or someone else's, but if you want to piss on Morrison's grave all you have to do is go to Paris.

Archived