U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Summing up: Stark's Revenge has the position that the Democrats must respect norms even as the Republicans shred them. He insists Dems must moderate their position even as Republicans become more extreme. He admits that Republicans have done the things he's criticising Dems for doing, but will not criticise the Republicans equally. Any mention of the Republicans' sins gets a response demanding that people defend the Democrats. And after all this, he insists that even if the Dems did respect norms, moderate their policies, and refrain from all the things he's complaining about, he'd still vote Republican.

Doesn't seem like a position worth engaging with to me, but that's just me.

It's just been so long since we had a right winger game enough to try to convince everyone that McConnell's farts smell like roses.

58 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It's just been so long since we had a right winger game enough to try to convince everyone that McConnell's farts smell like roses.

It's a bit right? It's a troll committed to a bit.  That's gotta be it...

41 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's a bit right? It's a troll committed to a bit.  That's gotta be it...

Not every conservative is a troll. There are still a great number that want to believe their party hasn't gone full fascist. 

Spoiler alert, it has, and if my 14 year old cousin could figure that out when she was like 11....

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not every conservative is a troll. There are still a great number that want to believe their party hasn't gone full fascist. 

Spoiler alert, it has, and if my 14 year old cousin could figure that out when she was like 11....

Not every conservative is a troll. No. Agree with you there.  However, the ones that don't think they've joined the modern fascist movement are generally not this cogent or verbose.  They're the ones going to Trump rallies wearing their Let's Go Brnadon gear and American flag Sombrero (without seeing anything wrong with that) while waiting to get a chance to tell Jordan Klepper how it really is in America these days...

Anyone coming on a message board like this one, and arguing in such a manner is either doing a bit or trolling for the lols. 

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Anyone coming on a message board like this one, and arguing in such a manner is either doing a bit or trolling for the lols. 

@Wilbur has never done that while still advocating philosophically why he's still a Republican. But then again he drags the MAGA crowd, so go fish?

5 minutes ago, Firebrand Jace said:

But only ONE.

Two is a movement. 

Three is a REVOLUTION!

I don't think he's a troll either.  Smart people that can put together coherent sentences can be deluded too.

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

You can just admit you don't actually have a decent argument, you know.

It’d be much more admirable for them to just say “I oppose these moves being done by my political opposition because they would benefit my political opposition.” 

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

It’s annoying when they don’t actually advocate a specific conservative policy, and spend most their time demanding democrats and libs, and progressives  be nicer to conservatives and try to make their policies and rhetoric to conservatives as a compromise because….conservatives would like that.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Three is a REVOLUTION!

I don't think he's a troll either.  Smart people that can put together coherent sentences can be deluded too.

I don't know what four and five are, but six is an orgy.

9 hours ago, Firebrand Jace said:

Seemed like an honest defense of a contradictory position. 

One is permitted to disagree with me. I give my permission. 

But only ONE.

Two is a movement. 

I should say this, I’ve been the subject of multiple harsh rebukes, from most common participants on these sort of threads.

I can’t feel any real sympathy with the people complaining about getting ganged up on. They can just respond to the posters whose points they  find most rational or in most need of rebuttal.

The 1950s question that is a key predictor of Trump/GOP supporters

A new Public Religion Research Institute poll released Thursday added a twist to the right track/wrong track question, asking respondents whether they agreed with a clarifying follow-up: "Since the 1950's, American culture and way of life has mostly changed for the worse."

Two-thirds of Republicans agreed with that statement, while 50% of independents did, and 30% of Democrats did. The only other group that was more nostalgic about the '50s than Republicans was white evangelicals, 71% of whom longed for a return to last century. ...

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/10/27/2131647/-Two-thirds-of-Republicans-are-still-mourning-the-death-of-the-1950s

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

The 1950s question that is a key predictor of Trump/GOP supporters

A new Public Religion Research Institute poll released Thursday added a twist to the right track/wrong track question, asking respondents whether they agreed with a clarifying follow-up: "Since the 1950's, American culture and way of life has mostly changed for the worse."

Two-thirds of Republicans agreed with that statement, while 50% of independents did, and 30% of Democrats did. The only other group that was more nostalgic about the '50s than Republicans was white evangelicals, 71% of whom longed for a return to last century. ...

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/10/27/2131647/-Two-thirds-of-Republicans-are-still-mourning-the-death-of-the-1950s

How many people are left alive with adult memories of the 1950s?

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How many people are left alive with adult memories of the 1950s?

The memories don't matter. It's the vibe, specifically that white Christians were able to dominate every other group, and that's why the right has been freaking out for a generation. They know that's slipping away.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The memories don't matter. It's the vibe, specifically that white Christians were able to dominate every other group, and that's why the right has been freaking out for a generation. They know that's slipping away.

Memories do matter.  If they didn’t live through it they might as well be advocating the Pre-dance Post-conquest years in Westeros.  They are idolizing their imagination… not reality.

1950s America have been mythologized for some time.  I took a college class on American History (1945-1980) in 2004 and we spent weeks on that.  It was a time when American economic power was at it's apex (the US was more than 50% of world GDP in 1946).  The country had finally pulled out of the depression and won WW2, and the huge generation of young Americans were starting families and going to college on the GI bill.  The economy was booming and finding a good job was relatively easy for white men.  

It was also a time of great repression and violence.  Black Americans wanted civil rights and black veterans wanted the same benefits as white veterans (but were denied the GI bill, etc).  Women were expected to leave the workforce and start a family, and most of them did, often quite unhappily.  Gay rights basically did not exist. 

Many people who are nostalgic for the 1950s want the good things in the first paragraph, but ignore the bad things in the second paragraph as if that is some separate issue. 

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

1950s America have been mythologized for some time.  I took a college class on American History (1945-1980) in 2004 and we spent weeks on that.  It was a time when American economic power was at it's apex (the US was more than 50% of world GDP in 1946).  The country had finally pulled out of the depression and won WW2, and the huge generation of young Americans were starting families and going to college on the GI bill.  The economy was booming and finding a good job was relatively easy for white men.  

It was also a time of great repression and violence.  Black Americans wanted civil rights and black veterans wanted the same benefits as white veterans (but were denied the GI bill, etc).  Women were expected to leave the workforce and start a family, and most of them did, often quite unhappily.  Gay rights basically did not exist. 

Many people who are nostalgic for the 1950s want the good things in the first paragraph, but ignore the bad things in the second paragraph as if that is some separate issue. 

Yes.  It is the deification of something that never really existed.

Archived