U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

27 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

True. I switched off after a while, so maybe he improved. I just think the media will slaughter him, after what they did a couple of weeks ago.

I wouldn't sweat it. At this point it is what it is and we'll see what happens in two weeks. Don't stress out. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone else watching the Darrell Brooks trial?

In what way? Can't avoid it here. It's a something though...

(Think I mentioned it back then, but my kids and I finished walking in that parade roughly 15 minutes before the incident...)

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

In what way? Can't avoid it here. It's a something though...

(Think I mentioned it back then, but my kids and I finished walking in that parade roughly 15 minutes before the incident...)

I can’t look away.  I can’t figure out why the Judge keeps arguing with Brooks.  The answer is, “Mr. Brooks… I’ve mad my ruling… if you disagree take it up with the Wisconsin Court of Appeals after the trial is over as is your right”.

Or as one of my wife’s favorite Judges once said on the record “I may Be wrong… (big grin)… but I’m right for the next year.”

I know I always shit on the impact of debates - and I stand by that - but I will grant that the Fetterman-Oz one is unique in terms of its potential impact.  And I agree with @Mindwalker that the coverage of it could move the needle to a decisive degree.  In terms of national mainstream outlets, I think it's mostly been fine.  Other than Politico's gross headline:  Fetterman struggles during TV debate with Oz.

However, knowing PA, I think the local coverage will be more impactful.  And in that regard, Pittsburgh's major newspaper covered it just fine.  Philly's was a little more focused on Fetterman's difficulties, but I still think it shouldn't amount to much.  I guess we'll see, but Fetterman's camp did a good job playing the expectations game, and it's not like Oz hasn't hammered him about this the throughout the summer and now fall.  So it's actually possible just the simple fact Fetterman got through the debate could help him.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

I know I always shit on the impact of debates - and I stand by that - but I will grant that the Fetterman-Oz one is unique in terms of its potential impact.  And I agree with @Mindwalker that the coverage of it could move the needle to a decisive degree.  In terms of national mainstream outlets, I think it's mostly been fine.  Other than Politico's gross headline:  Fetterman struggles during TV debate with Oz.

However, knowing PA, I think the local coverage will be more impactful.  And in that regard, Pittsburgh's major newspaper covered it just fine.  Philly's was a little more focused on Fetterman's difficulties, but I still think it shouldn't amount to much.  I guess we'll see, but Fetterman's camp did a good job playing the expectations game, and it's not like Oz hasn't hammered him about this the throughout the summer and now fall.  So it's actually possible just the simple fact Fetterman got through the debate could help him.

Any immediate polls of undecided voters after watching the debate?

6 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Any immediate polls of undecided voters after watching the debate?

Well, not scientific ones, no.  They aren't gonna be out for a few days.  In terms of dial/focus groups, I dunno.  To be clear I didn't watch the debate, just read the immediate coverage.

The Post is reporting 

More than 1 million Georgians have voted early, a dramatic increase from the last midterm election in 2018 and nearly on pace with the 2020 presidential election, according to the Georgia secretary of state’s office…

While every demographic and region of the state has seen elevated turnout relative to 2018, there has been a surge of participation from women, Black voters and voters over age 50, according to an analysis by The Washington Post. The increases have been largest in the Atlanta region, while many counties in the state’s southwest and along the southeast coast are far outpacing their early vote counts from 2018. Cobb County, a fast-growing suburb of Atlanta, crosses both trends, having counted more than three times the number of ballots collected at the same point in 2018.

I know the polls are not looking favorable for the democrats but I do hope this early voting trend bodes well for them. 

Oklahoma GOP candidate vows to make teachers undergo 'patriotic education' based on Judeo-Christian values - at an institution on Michigan. Probably a good thing this guy has no chance of winning...right? In today's climate, his proposal would undoubtedly pass Supreme Court muster...

Oklahoma GOP candidate vows to make teachers undergo 'patriotic education' based on 'Judeo-Christian values' (msn.com)

Ryan Walters, the Republican candidate for state superintendent in Oklahoma, is vowing to force all teachers in the state to undergo what is being described as "patriotic education" at a right-wing college in Michigan.

As Tulsa World reports, Walters believes that this intervention is needed because teachers in the state right now are purportedly "indoctrinating" students.

6 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:

Disaster performance from Fetterman. Farcical that he hasn't abdicated. MSM struggling to cover for him

The only disaster here is that to run for statewide office in PA you have to be pro-fracking.  If we're doing a "farcical that he hasn't abdicated" list related to the Oz-Fetterman contest I doubt Fetterman debate performance cracks the top 10.  

2 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Read that the COVID shots next year are going to cost $110.  Wtf.  COVID was the one thing I thought Biden might be decent on.  

I dunno about the US but here we are just throwing vaccines away and the US was throwing a lot away even when there was still more demand than supply in the rest of the word.

The vast majority has no interest in that topic anymore and it is only going to hurt you politically if your even mention it. That is probably especially true in places which can be won in your midterms.

11 hours ago, teej6 said:

The Post is reporting 

I know the polls are not looking favorable for the democrats but I do hope this early voting trend bodes well for them. 

I believe DSM has said that if facts were the opposite (early voting was low) that would definitely bode very badly for the Democrats, but the opposite only give them a fighting chance.  The fact that there has been high "early turnout" in southwestern counties goes along with there being high early turnout among Black voters. If you look on a map of congressional districts colored by party, the 2nd district of Georgia, which is in the southwestern corner of that state, is one of the few large rural districts still with a Democratic representative, because many counties in southwestern Georgia are majority Black. 

Dr. Oz’s awful answer on abortion

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/26/politics/oz-abortion-debate-pennsylvania-senate/index.html

Unfortunately for Oz, he kept talking.

“I want women, doctors, local political leaders, letting the democracy that’s always allowed our nation to thrive to put the best ideas forward so states can decide for themselves,” he added.

Which, um, not good.

It’s not entirely clear to me what Oz was attempting to do here. He started by borrowing the language of the abortion rights movement that a decision regarding an abortion is between a woman and her doctor. And then, in a mind-boggling moment, he tacked on “local political leaders” as part of that decision-making process.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

I believe DSM has said that if facts were the opposite (early voting was low) that would definitely bode very badly for the Democrats, but the opposite only give them a fighting chance.

I did say that the other day.  But just to be clear, I am not the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

2 hours ago, Stark Revenge said:

FWIW all the social studies teachers at my rural NW PA school were talking about how bad Fetterman looked. Whoever thought it was a good idea for him to debate should be fired ASAP. 

DMC has already been deported to the prison colony named Florida. :leaving:

Archived