U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Memories do matter.  If they didn’t live through it they might as well be advocating the Pre-dance Post-conquest years in Westeros.  They are idolizing their imagination… not reality.

Right, hence why I said they’re seeking out a vibe, not reality.

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Many people who are nostalgic for the 1950s want the good things in the first paragraph, but ignore the bad things in the second paragraph as if that is some separate issue. 

Ignore? You’re being far too kind. Some may ignore the realities facing women, minorities LGBTQ+ individuals, etc. back in the 50’s, but I’d bet a heavy majority of these people actively and specifically want to bring back the cruelty directed towards these groups. Hatred of the other is the point.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How many people are left alive with adult memories of the 1950s?

That's the core of the baby boomers though.  Those who were born in the 50s and started their initial education track back then?  That's everything. They may say the baby boomer generation goes into the early 70s, but it's that 50s core, my parents and their contemporaries, that's who fuel that. 

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That's the core of the baby boomers though.  Those who were born in the 50s and started their initial education track back then?  That's everything. They may say the baby boomer generation goes into the early 70s, but it's that 50s core, my parents and their contemporaries, that's who fuel that. 

That’s part of my point.  They have no adult memories of the 1950s.  My parents were born in 1946, 1947 respectively they were in their teens when the 1960’s started.  They weren’t holding down jobs and raising families.  Their memories are as skewed as mine are of the 1970s and 1980s (In was 19 in 1990).  The glory days of childhood are not what you build a society upon.

23 minutes ago, cock_merchant said:

Bay Area crime outbreak is out of control. 

This is how the right will gaslight this attack, by claiming it is because of the failed policies of the left where cities have become cesspools of crime yadda yadda yadda, rather than ever admit is was politically motivated.

Paul Pelosi was attacked with a hammer, which seems an odd choice for someone wanting to rob a joint, but my knowledge of the MO of criminals is somewhat lacking.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

This is how the right will gaslight this attack, by claiming it is because of the failed policies of the left where cities have become cesspools of crime yadda yadda yadda, rather than ever admit is was politically motivated.

Paul Pelosi was attacked with a hammer, which seems an odd choice for someone wanting to rob a joint, but my knowledge of the MO of criminals is somewhat lacking.

As likely as it seems like this was a politically-motivated attack, I'd really recommend waiting until there's evidence of that. A lot of people assumed that when Rand Paul was assaulted in 2017 it was a political attack too, but it turned out to be a property line/tree debris fight between neighbors that escalated to violence.

I’m seeing purported leftists on twitter promoting the idea that “the Russians” flipped votes on voting machines to aid Trump in the 2016 election.  Do these folks not see how this promotes Trump’s election lies?  How it empowers Trumpanistas and furthers their purpose?  

Or are these Trumpanistas attempting to be clever?

28 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Elon's in charge now.

LongRider -- yes; yes he is. And Lindy has the right spirit, I love it!

• Don't leave
  • Don't cede
  • This is our ... town square, too

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s part of my point.  They have no adult memories of the 1950s.  My parents were born in 1946, 1947 respectively they were in their teens when the 1960’s started.  They weren’t holding down jobs and raising families.  Their memories are as skewed as mine are of the 1970s and 1980s (In was 19 in 1990).  The glory days of childhood are not what you build a society upon.

Ah. But what Ibwas driving at was that those early 50s were the formative years of that segment of the Boomers. No they're memories aren't of what it was as adults, but more memory of what their parents had and that's how it should be, because it was awesome for them, particularly the white, evangelical section of that population...nostalgia of how they grew up.

So, basically the same thing, but we're looking at different age groups...

On Musk/Twitter I'd just wait to see how it plays out over months. Because the man just utters bullshit constantly. He's promised both free speech and recently not to turn Twitter into a hellscape. In other words he's promised puppies and candy and sunshine for 100 percent of America.

41 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Elon's in charge now.  Also, many twitter reports of racist posts on Twitter already.

Unfortunately, the changes in content moderation and unbanning abusive accounts is already having an impact on women, transgender people and activists, etc. Not only abridging Twitter's viability as a "town square' but also a functional company that can sell ads and make revenue (companies love seeing abusive language next to their sponsored content).

4 minutes ago, Week said:

Unfortunately, the changes in content moderation and unbanning abusive accounts is already having an impact on women, transgender people and activists, etc. Not only abridging Twitter's viability as a "town square' but also a functional company that can sell ads and make revenue (companies love seeing abusive language next to their sponsored content).

Yes, it has started already and its gross.  I like Twitter, so we'll see.

Cool, cool, cool

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/28/musk-twitter-racist-posts/

A wide range of anonymous Twitter accounts celebrated Musk’s takeover and argued it meant the old rules against bigotry no longer applied.

“Elon now controls twitter. Unleash the racial slurs. K---S AND N-----S,” said one account, using slurs for Jews and Black people. “I can freely express how much I hate n-----s … now, thank you elon,” another said.

In a tweeted letter Thursday, Musk had sought to soothe advertisers worried over the moderation changes by saying he did not want it to become a “free-for-all hellscape.”

But the first hours of his purchase have shown how difficult that promise could be. One account, created this month, included a Nazi swastika as its profile picture and retweeted quotes from Musk alongside antisemitic memes. Another tweet, showing a video montage glorifying Nazi Germany with the comment, “I hear that there have been some changes around here,” was liked more than 400 times.

We'll see if he takes a page from our UK brethren with a U-turn or lean in to destroying the platform he now owns (well, that's the UK too). 

Archived