U.S. Politics: Rs Stand Around While Ds Try to Rescue Them

Zorral

7 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

He'll drag it out with appeals and such until 2024 ...

Court temporarily blocks Biden’s student loan forgiveness

A federal appeals court late Friday issued an administrative stay temporarily blocking President Joe Biden’s plan to cancel billions of dollars in federal student loans, throwing the program into limbo just days after people began applying for loan forgiveness.

The Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals issued the stay while it considers a motion from six Republican-led states to block the program. The stay ordered the Biden administration not to act on the program while it considers the appeal.

https://apnews.com/article/st-louis-missouri-kansas-nebraska-education-9b73de3404719e08a3910ed58e8481c7?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_02

Will noone save our country from this monster?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/china-iran-weapons-trump-mar-a-lago-intelligence_n_63534cdde4b0e376dc17b069

Its obvious to me he was/is attempting to sell State Secrets. State Secrets of the highest and most sensitive nature. The sad part is he has been up to it in broad daylight and has faced no consequences.

Will noone save us from this monster?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Voting against the party that wants to empower the man who steals highly classified documents from the US Government… is a bad idea?

*eyeroll* Yes, as my numerous posts have suggested, I'm against voting for Dems.

No, but it's a bad idea to suggest that's a substitute for holding him accountable for his crimes, or can help with a corrupt partisan Supreme Court, or...

As for the documents, I'm wondering what's even more special about the ones he totally doesn't still have and has hidden in other places.

Early voter turnout is very high. NYT is reporting:

“More than 5.5 million people have cast ballots in person or by mail. Experts predict high turnout in the midterm elections… Through the first five days of early voting in Georgia, in-person turnout is up 70 percent compared with turnout in the 2018 midterm elections, according to the secretary of state’s office. In North Carolina, absentee ballot requests are up 114 percent compared with requests in 2018, according to the board of elections. And in Florida, the total early vote is up 50 percent compared with the early vote in 2018.”

Is this a good sign for the democrats or have elections changed so much in the recent past that nothing is a predictor anymore?

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

*eyeroll* Yes, as my numerous posts have suggested, I'm against voting for Dems.

No, but it's a bad idea to suggest that's a substitute for holding him accountable for his crimes, or can help with a corrupt partisan Supreme Court, or...

As for the documents, I'm wondering what's even more special about the ones he totally doesn't still have and has hidden in other places.

My confusion is why encouraging people to vote would be a bad idea?

1 hour ago, teej6 said:

Is this a good sign for the democrats or have elections changed so much in the recent past that nothing is a predictor anymore?

High turnout does not necessarily mean Dems will win, no.  However, low turnout would invariably be a bad sign for the Dems, so...

1 hour ago, teej6 said:

“More than 5.5 million people have cast ballots in person or by mail. Experts predict high turnout in the midterm elections… Through the first five days of early voting in Georgia, in-person turnout is up 70 percent compared with turnout in the 2018 midterm elections, according to the secretary of state’s office. In North Carolina, absentee ballot requests are up 114 percent compared with requests in 2018, according to the board of elections. And in Florida, the total early vote is up 50 percent compared with the early vote in 2018.”

I plan to vote the first day of early voting, which here is the 29th.  Not there's much to vote for, maybe two candidates, mostly voting against as with governor. Again, I'm being forced by the Dems to vote for a non-entity at best, just to keep the reichlicans from getting it -- if indeed they don't get it. They might, since the nonentity incumbent Dem isn't firing up anybody, anybody at all.   But I vote in all elections and always have, so no indicator of anything.

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I plan to vote the first day of early voting, which here is the 29th.  Not there's much to vote for, maybe two candidates, mostly voting against as with governor. Again, I'm being forced by the Dems to vote for a non-entity at best, just to keep the reichlicans from getting it -- if indeed they don't get it. They might, since the nonentity incumbent Dem isn't firing up anybody, anybody at all.   But I vote in all elections and always have, so no indicator of anything.

Ha! I vote in NYC as well. No choice but to vote for Nadler and Schumer. As for governor, I’m not sure how I feel about Hochul but will be voting for her nevertheless.

29 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Ha! I vote in NYC as well. No choice but to vote for Nadler and Schumer. As for governor, I’m not sure how I feel about Hochul but will be voting for her nevertheless.

I know, ya know?  At least we have  :cheers: !

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I’m traveling for work that weekend/week so have requested, received, and mailed my absentee ballot.  I was not happy with my choices for either house of Congress.  

Bizarre claim that a certain Iowa senator might actually be in danger of losing his seat in this election. Is this even somewhat credible? Or is this poll a fluke?

I also have to wonder how many other supposedly 'safe' seats - especially on the House side - are actually not so safe after all. I don't expect any to actually flip, but several far closer than expected contests doesn't seem out of the question.

Iowa Poll shows Mike Franken within striking distance of Sen. Chuck Grassley. Could he really win? (msn.com)

-----

Mike Franken has less than three weeks to do what no one has been able to accomplish in 64 years: defeat Chuck Grassley. 

A new Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll shows he’s within striking distance. Grassley leads by 3 percentage points among likely voters.  

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

“We are right on the cusp, and he knows that,” Franken said of his opponent.  

25 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Bizarre claim that a certain Iowa senator might actually be in danger of losing his seat in this election. Is this even somewhat credible? Or is this poll a fluke?

Well, the poll is certainly credible, and not even a fluke.  This is the third poll this month that shows Franken down by 3.  So..it seems as if he has a good chance to only lose by three.  In terms of chances to win, I'd say these polls drop Grassley from, like, 99% to 90%.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:48 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Trumpanistas are the “Know Nothings” of the 1850s… resurgent.  :(

It could be worse.  Some of the racist politicians of the past, like Governor Talmadge, or Senator Bilbo, were quite vile.

5 hours ago, teej6 said:

In North Carolina, (I don’t know about other states) they give the party affiliation of early voters, and in that State, a high turnout of early voters is not helping the Democrats.

16 minutes ago, SeanF said:

In North Carolina, (I don’t know about other states) they give the party affiliation of early voters, and in that State, a high turnout of early voters is not helping the Democrats.

Not sure why you're concluding that.  Right now the partisan split is 40/30 Dem to GOP.  Granted, it's not as disproportionate as Pennsylvania (which doesn't have any in-person early votes), but it's a better split than both Florida and Arizona (both of which also don't have any in-person early votes yet, but also have long histories of no-excuse mail-in balloting).

Archived