Is this passage a hint that Dany's dragons have been mating?

Sandy Clegg

So in my ADWD re-read I noticed this passage at the beginning of a chapter (always a good place to find portentious scenes I always find). It's very sexually charged, clearly some kind of fertility dance? And there are some clues to suggest it might be alluding to some dragon happy time shenanigans going on:

The dancers shimmered, their sleek shaved bodies covered with a fine sheen of oil. Blazing torches whirled from hand to hand to the beat of drums and the trilling of a flute. Whenever two torches crossed in the air, a naked girl leapt between them, spinning. The torchlight shone off oiled limbs and breasts and buttocks.

The three men were erect. The sight of their arousal was arousing, though Daenerys Targaryen found it comical as well. The men were all of a height, with long legs and flat bellies, every muscle as sharply etched as if it had been chiseled out of stone. Even their faces looked the same, somehow … which was passing strange, since one had skin as dark as ebony, while the second was as pale as milk, and the third gleamed like burnished copper.

- ADWD, Daenerys III

OK OK, calm down. it's just naked bodies. So ... smooth, hairless forms .. fire blazing ...seems like the kind of frenetic high-octane mating that dragons might engage in. And it's not like GRRM will ever give us an actual dragon mating scene (eww). The girl leaping between them is an interesting way to illustrate that dragons have no fixed gender (according to Maester Aemon). The 'feminine aspect' seems to pass among them. Then you have the dragons' colours, of course: Drogon's ebony (black) Viserion's milk (white) and copper (the bronze of Rhaegal. Obviously not going to find many green-skinned dancers!). 

Then we get this passage:

As the drums reached a crescendo, three of the girls leapt above the flames, spinning in the air. The male dancers caught them about the waists and slid them down onto their members. Dany watched as the women arched their backs and coiled their legs around their partners while the flutes wept and the men thrust in time to the music. She had seen the act of love before; the Dothraki mated as openly as their mares and stallions. This was the first time she had seen lust put to music, though.
Her face was warm. The wine, she told herself. 

The arching and coiling is very dragon-like. What's going on under that pyramid of Meereen between Rhaegal and Viserion? Had Drogon already had his fun before they got locked up?

Dany's warm, slightly drunk feeling is interesting too, especially as at the end of the previous chapter - literally the last page - Davos had been about to go back to his ship ... The Merry Midwife. Dany as their 'surrogate mother' could well be interpreted as a midwife if they do indeed hatch eggs, or it's a near enough 'poetic' way of expressing her role in this. And of course she's feeling pretty 'merry' from the wine. Too subtle perhaps? I might just need a cold shower :) 

10 minutes ago, Reekazoid said:

I... don't hate this.  Tell us more.

Well, if it's true we won't get any direct confirmation until TWOW. I guess ... there is the fact that Viserion has carved a kind of nest or roost in the wall under the pyramid? Plus, there was that Dunk & Egg story where a dwarf steals a dragon's egg by climbing up a toilet shaft. And we have Tyrion nearby, who was once in charge of the toilets in Casterly Rock. Not much evidence I'm afraid, apart from those tiny crumbs. :D

The ebony, milk and copper part, along with some of the other language, certainly suggests it's foreshadowing something with Dany's dragons.

I wish we knew more about dragons and their biology.  It's highly likely that Dany's 3 dragon eggs were all from Dreamfyre - do dragons practice the same dynastic incest as the Targaryens?  Perhaps the small amount of dragon blood the Targs have is where the practice came from originally?  The humans adopting the practices of their dragons?

I don't think that passage means the dragons are mating and laying eggs.  It's just an erotic passage and rather descriptive.  The dragons will need more time to mature before they start laying eggs.  Drogon is the largest and he is still not large enough to lift the weight of a horse.  It will take time before they start laying eggs.  

It's a good catch and definitely relating to the dragons but no I don't think it has anything to do with eggs or dragons mating. Its about the dragons and it's dancing, lust put to music - it's about the dance of dragons. Sexual lust stands in for the lust for power and the flames crossing is battling by fire. I suggest the women when they ride the men representing dragons are themselves representing dragon riders.

All the political situations in the east are a dry run for Dany in the West, and in this chapter she's specifically trying to find a way to lead her city in peace but is incapable of doing so and instead ends up embroiled in war. My initial not particularly confident take on the literal dance at the start of this chapter is that it is to draw comparisons to how this chapter develops and how the dance of dragons will begin. 

Archived