Internation Events X - Why such a long break...?

TheLastWolf

Watching the Lula - Bolsonaro debate online.  They have an allotted amount of time each to do what they wish.  They're not interrupting or talking over each other. At the moment, Lula's raking B over the coals regarding covid.

1 minute ago, TheLastWolf said:

Is tRump's post on Jews worth an intl discussion or US of A politics thread only? 

What a dick 

I don't think it's worth either.  I intentionally did not comment on it, and I encourage others not to as well.

13 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Is tRump's post on Jews worth an intl discussion or US of A politics thread only? 

What a dick 

Expected from Trump, I think, so not worth mentioning. Disappointing that Kanye seems to be drawing from that well of hate. My son used to be a fan. I guess he still is of the Kanye that was, but not the Kanye that is.

Diwali will be added to NYC schools holiday calendar --

New York City is forging ahead with plans to make Diwali a school holiday, Mayor Eric Adams said Thursday, following months of pressure from South Asian and Indo-Caribbean advocates.

https://gothamist.com/news/diwali-will-be-added-to-nyc-schools-holiday-calendar-adams-says

In a press conference at Department of Education headquarters, officials from the Adams administration announced state legislation that will make Diwali a school holiday as soon as next year. Queens Assemblymember Jenifer Rajkumar’s bill proposes adding Diwali to the school calendar and removing a little-celebrated holiday, Brooklyn-Queens Day.

City officials had pointed to state regulations requiring at least 180 days in school a year as an obstacle to making Diwali a school holiday.

If successful, the new school holiday will fulfill a campaign pledge by Adams.

“It’s important for not only the young people who celebrate and who honor Diwali but it’s important for all students,” Schools Chancellor David Banks said. “When we talk about the education of New York City students, we have to recognize the whole world lives here.”

Diwali, a spiritual celebration of light over darkness, is observed globally by Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, and Jains. It falls this year on Oct. 24. .

My view on cultural/religious holidays is that a certain number of days for cultural / religious festivals should be provided for but not fixed in the calendar, and people should be allowed to take those days as holidays according to their own cultural and religious practices. The only specified dates for public holidays should be those that are explicitly connected to the history and establishment of the country / state / city. 

We have 5 religious/cultural holidays in our calendar and we have 7 other holidays. So for us that would mean 5 flexi-public holidays and 7 fixed public holidays. I don't think it would be too disruptive to have just 5 days out of the year where people take different statutory days, especially since the vast majority of people will take days that are fixed in known cultural and religious calendars, like Diwali, Eid, Hanukkah, Darwin's birthday etc.

With working form home being quite standard in non-public-facing / non-factory settings it's possible for offices to close on the traditional cultural / religious holidays, like Christmas, but for those who celebrate different festivals to still be able to work.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

My view on cultural/religious holidays is that a certain number of days for cultural / religious festivals should be provided for but not fixed in the calendar, and people should be allowed to take those days as holidays according to their own cultural and religious practices. The only specified dates for public holidays should be those that are explicitly connected to the history and establishment of the country / state / city. 

Why do I get the sense you live in a rather non-diverse matrix? Seven?  Only seven?

In our city we've had never ending significant populations arriving and settling and providing economic and cultural enrichment.  Many, many, many, MANY, all the time.  

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

Why do I get the sense you live in a rather non-diverse matrix? Seven?  Only seven?

In our city we've had never ending significant populations arriving and settling and providing economic and cultural enrichment.  Many, many, many, MANY, all the time.  

I dunno maybe you misunderstood or I wasn't clear in what I wrote? We currently have 12 national statutory holidays. 7 are not specific to any culture or religion but unique to NZ history and origin, 4 are Christian, 1 is Maori/Pasifika. Additionally we have 1 holiday for each region's anniversary falling at different times of year.

Since we currently have 5 days that are unique to a religion or culture, these could be made flexible so people could take days off that are significant to them rather than days that the govt has decreed to be significant even if they have no relevance to large percentages of the population. For example, instead of having to take Easter off, a Hindu Indian should be able to take Diwali as a Holiday, and Chinese people should be able to take Chinese New Year off.

Hu Jintao was looking very frail. He's seventy-nine. I wonder if it could actually be health reasons rather than "health reasons". 

That said, I've just watched the footage instead of reading about it. I didn't like the way no one on the front row was turning to look at him go past. A BBC commentator called that 'relaxed body language' but to me it was more suggestive of discomfort. A journalist said that Hu Jintao was showing signs of looking unwell earlier on, but I haven't seen that yet. 

https://www.iom.int/news/more-5000-deaths-recorded-european-migration-routes-2021-iom

Berlin – The International Organization for Migration´s (IOM) Missing Migrants Project has documented at least 5,684 deaths on migration routes to and within Europe since the beginning of 2021, with increasing numbers of deaths seen on routes across the Mediterranean, on land borders to Europe and within the continent. 

“We’ve recorded more than 29,000 deaths during migration journeys to Europe since 2014,” said Julia Black, author of a new IOM report on Missing Migrants Project data in Europe for 2021. “These continuing deaths are another grim reminder that more legal and safe pathways to migration are desperately needed.” 

I considered posting this in the irrelevant stuff thread instead because that how it seems to be to nearly everyone. 29k people is a low end we will never know how many die at sea or are killed by the warlords and militias the EU supports in countries like Libya. Even more are enslaved. There is a reason only young males tend to make it.

It will only get worse with the EU protecting its borders even harder.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/25/protesters-defy-crackdown-at-universities-across-iran

Protesters defy crackdown at universities across Iran

Tension mounts as ceremonies marking 40 days since Mahsa Amini’s death expected to take place on Wednesday

Students have protested at universities across Iran, defying a bloody crackdown as tensions mount on the eve of planned ceremonies marking 40 days since Mahsa Amini’s death.

“A student may die but will not accept humiliation,” demonstrators chanted at Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, in the southwestern province of Khuzestan, in an online video verified by AFP.

Young women and schoolgirls have been at the forefront of protests sparked by Amini’s death last month, after her arrest for an alleged breach of the Islamic republic’s strict dress code for women.

ARTICLE CONTINUES

Archived