Internation Events X - Why such a long break...?

TheLastWolf

After exit polls were published on Tuesday night, supporters of Religious Zionism gathered in Sheikh Jarrah, shouting taunts and throwing stones towards Palestinian areas.

The two leaders of the Religious Zionism coalition, Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, are expected to become the ministers of public security and defense, respectively.  The most depressing part?  The former's rise in support is often attributed to young voters.

I don't know too much about Danish politics, but it seems that while there might have been a swing to the right in the election the centre-left maintained a slim majority, and perhaps along with centrists maintained a substantial majority. Seems like Mette Frederiksen was not really expecting to hold on.

Despite finishing first in her country’s elections, Denmark's prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, has decided to step down along with her government in a bid to build a coalition across the political divide.

Frederiksen's announcement came after a dramatic vote count in which the centre-left bloc that has backed her since 2019 retained its majority in Parliament by a single seat.

In theory, the 44-year-old Social Democratic leader could have stayed in power as head of a minority government. But she said she would stick to promises made before Tuesday's election to try to form a wider governing coalition that includes parties on the centre-right.

“I am happy, proud, and grateful,” Frederiksen said.

I guess we'll see if reaching across the aisle will yield positive results.

I suppose according to the US political yardstick Danish centre-right might be somewhat to the left of Nancy Pelosi.

5.7 Richter quake in New Delhi, as if the smog wasnt enough.

Spoiler

My undergrad friend fell of his bed while making out in his dorms :lmao:

At least he got to do that, even if she wasn't, sorry, isn't, that great looking.

Sorry for making an Intl event post look like a dating thread one. Acidity. 

From a report compiled in Australia:

Extremists use video games to recruit vulnerable youth. Here’s what parents and gamers need to know

https://theconversation.com/extremists-use-video-games-to-recruit-vulnerable-youth-heres-what-parents-and-gamers-need-to-know-193110

... The tactics far-right extremists use to recruit

Former white supremacist Christian Picciolini has explained on Reddit how far-right extremist recruiters target “marginalised youth” using popular games such as Fortnite, Minecraft and Call of Duty.

They “drop benign hints and then ramp up” when players are “hooked” on their message, Picciolini said. Of his own experience of being recruited, he said:

They appealed to my desperate need for identity, community and purpose. I was bullied and they provided safety. I was lonely and they provided family. That’s how they draw people in, with a sense of belonging and ‘humanitarianism’.

Far-right extremists will often interpret games to suit their own positions. For instance, they’ll point to the inherent superiority of a fantasy game species, such as elves, to draw false and racist parallels with reality.

They’ll also use gaming to find and build connections with others who share their views. By playing together they can reinforce each other’s beliefs, bond over “dark humour” and use the game to act out violent fantasies.

And while moderating sites to remove extremist content is important, it’s complex to do in democracies for a range of technical, legal and ethical reasons. Moderation should not be relied on as the only method for addressing far-right extremism online.

Extremists can also find ways to avoid moderation, such as by using coded language. For instance, 88 and 1488 are both associated with neo-Nazism – but most people wouldn’t know it.

Read more: Can gaming 'addiction' lead to depression or aggression in young people? Here’s what the evidence says

What can we do about it?

As counter-terrorism expert Greg Barton recently told Channel 7, far-right extremists aim to prey on young, vulnerable young people as part of a potential radicalisation process:

It’s the sort of predatory behaviour where they’re trying to win their confidence that’s the concern. The video, the games, that’s just the bait to get them hooked.

As you’d expect, extremists use plenty of other hooks too. These include gyms and fitness groups, wellness culture and even animal rights and environmentalism. So recruitment via games is part of a wider problem. ....

When I asked my wife if she knew what Kristallnacht was she didn't know (and neither did I until right now). But when I asked her what The Night of Broken Glass was she knew immediately.

If someone at KFC was doing a human check on AI generated promotional material, and they didn't know their German history in German language terms then they could have completely missed the fact that this is a night that shall ever dwell in infamy rather than being a fun celebration of sparkly things.

Who needs to lose their job? Personally I think the company that provided KFC with the AI software for picking anniversaries that can be appropriately* used to promote the consumption of fast food. 

*Is there really any national/cultural/religious anniversary that is appropriate to promoting the consumption of fast food? I guess it should really be "not completely bloody inappropriate".

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

When I asked my wife if she knew what Kristallnacht was she didn't know (and neither did I until right now). But when I asked her what The Night of Broken Glass was she knew immediately.

I knew what it is. Any remotely competent marketing zombie should be at least as well informed as me. 

Who needs to lose their job? Personally I think the company that provided KFC with the AI software for picking anniversaries that can be appropriately* used to promote the consumption of fast food. 

Whoever decided that an AI should generate their social media promotions without a competent marketing zombie checking its work for a start. Maybe the programmer who forgot to add the "Kristallnacht=Nazi=bad" line of code to the algorithm? I'd start there. 

*Is there really any national/cultural/religious anniversary that is appropriate to promoting the consumption of fast food? I guess it should really be "not completely bloody inappropriate".

None. I was going to say, "limit themselves to the ones that don't involve ethnic cleansing", but that would eliminate most of them really. The big American ones at least. Boxing Day?  

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Whoever decided that an AI should generate their social media promotions without a competent marketing zombie checking its work for a start. Maybe the programmer who forgot to add the "Kristallnacht=Nazi=bad" line of code to the algorithm? I'd start there.

If I was a betting man then I would bet that the programmer was told by a corner cutting manager "of course we will have someone manually checking every promotion!" In fact there may well have been such a step in the process, only someone subsequently turned it off or removed it.

Trump is unhinged in his attacks on establishment Republicans.  

This is a seriously long shot… what happens if Trumpanistas actually split from the Republican Party?  Would Republicans still retain control of the House (assuming they have a majority when all votes are counted)?  Could a splintered Republican Party hand control of the HOR back to the Democrats?

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Trump is unhinged in his attacks on establishment Republicans.  

This is a seriously long shot… what happens if Trumpanistas actually split from the Republican Party?  Would Republicans still retain control of the House (assuming they have a majority when all votes are counted)?  Could a splintered Republican Party hand control of the HOR back to the Democrats?

I assume you meant to post this in the US politics thread?

5 hours ago, A wilding said:

If I was a betting man then I would bet that the programmer was told by a corner cutting manager "of course we will have someone manually checking every promotion!" In fact there may well have been such a step in the process, only someone subsequently turned it off or removed it.

I'm not convinced it was the fault of an algorithm. Seriously there aren't that many holidays. You don't really need to automate that process. 

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not convinced it was the fault of an algorithm. Seriously there aren't that many holidays. You don't really need to automate that process. 

Just to be clear (Reichs-)Progromnacht* is not a holiday in Germany. Ironically, it's arguably the most German day in the calender (wrt 20th century).

1918 November revolution in Germany (it started on the 1st in Kiel, but it reached Berlin on the 9th) which ended the German Empire and WWI.

1923 Failed Coup attempt by Hitler.

1938 Night of the progroms (or broken glass).

1989 the Berlin Wall comes down.

(Reichs-)Kristallnacht is a term that isn't used anymore, as that downplays the terror. The Crystal refers to the broken windows from Jewish stores and Synagogues. So really, don't use that word.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Just to be clear (Reichs-)Progromnacht* is not a holiday in Germany. Ironically, it's arguably the most German day in the calender (wrt 20th century).

1918 November revolution in Germany (it started on the 1st in Kiel, but it reached Berlin on the 9th) which ended the German Empire and WWI.

1923 Failed Coup attempt by Hitler.

1938 Night of the progroms (or broken glass).

1989 the Berlin Wall comes down.

(Reichs-)Kristallnacht is a term that isn't used anymore, as that downplays the terror. The Crystal refers to the broken windows from Jewish stores and Synagogues. So really, don't use that word.

Yeah, "holiday" was the wrong word. Not intentional. My point is that a historically significant anniversary probably isn't something one would trust to an algorithm as part of a marketing campaign. Someone screwed up.  

I wasn't aware that "Kristallnacht" was an obsolete term. I've only ever heard it referred to that way. 

On 11/11/2022 at 12:57 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

If someone at KFC was doing a human check on AI generated promotional material, and they didn't know their German history in German language terms then they could have completely missed the fact that this is a night that shall ever dwell in infamy rather than being a fun celebration of sparkly things.

It happened in Germany and they actually used the term "Reichspogromnacht" which can't be confused with anything good in German unless you like killing Jews.

Archived