Internation Events X - Why such a long break...?

TheLastWolf

I think it's fairly easy to understand how the KFC thing happened, and throwing around terms like "AI" or "algorithm" makes it sound way more complicated than the simple human error that it probably was: somebody got the job of feeding their twitter bot with a list of "special occasions" at which it should send out special promotional messages. That person grabbed the first list they could find without double checking it and that's all there is to it.

The fanciest algorithm possibly involved here might be Gauss' Easter Algorithm, which would allow them to automate the process of calculating all the Christian holidays in Germany (every other national holiday has a fixed date, no calculation needed). But it might just be the case that some intern gets the job to manually change all the religious dates in a text file once per year.

Wait, what? The KFC promotion used "Reichspogromnacht"? That's...I don't know what to call that sort of screw up. Thoughts of conspiracy start floating up, wondering if someone did it deliberately to try to ruin KFC's business in Germany.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:27 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Wait, what? The KFC promotion used "Reichspogromnacht"? That's...I don't know what to call that sort of screw up. Thoughts of conspiracy start floating up, wondering if someone did it deliberately to try to ruin KFC's business in Germany.

I have been with people while they were trying to eat KFC stuff. Fast food veterans. From their reaction, I can only assume that the conspiracy to kill that franchise in Germany is deeply rooted.

Chile’s millennial first lady wants to end the job for good

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/11/13/irina-karamanos-chile-first-lady/

.... The concept of a first lady is an American one, dating back to Dolley Madison, the wife of the fourth president, who helped furnish the White House and hosted social affairs for politicians of both parties. Eleanor Roosevelt and Jacqueline Kennedy advanced the role in the public imagination, fostering the expectation that first ladies would accompany the president and champion noncontroversial causes — expectations also adopted in parts of Latin America.

Karamanos is not the first reluctant first lady — see, for example, Melania Trump. In Ecuador, Anne Malherbe Gosselin, the Belgian-born wife of former president Rafael Correa, was mostly absent from the role, which she described as classist. In Mexico, Beatriz Gutiérrez Müller, the wife of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, has continued her work as a university professor.

“I didn’t see why I needed to leave my job to accompany my husband who changed his job,” Müller told The Washington Post. But she continues to represent the Mexican government at diplomatic events.

Historians say Jill Biden, who has long taught English composition at Northern Virginia Community College, is the first U.S. first lady to hold a paying job outside the White House while her husband was president.

But none of these women have overhauled the role while in office as Karamanos is attempting, said Carolina Guerrero, a Chilean political scientist. In the United States, Ohio University historian Katherine Jellison says, such an effort would be “political dynamite.” ....

4 hours ago, kiko said:

I have been with people while they were trying to eat KFC stuff. Fast food veterans. From their reaction, I can only assume that the conspiracy to kill that franchise in Germany is deeply rooted.

I like KFC. I think Mike Meyers in 'So I married an Ax Murderer' was right, I almost invariably crave it fortnightly.

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Why isn't this all over the headlines in every country?

That was in the news several weeks ago. I guess that this dude and you seem to have just noticed it now shows how many waves it didn't make back then. I think it generated less than a page worth of posts in this tread, or the previous one(?), at the time.

Didn't hit the blob media either (some people ran into it on some sites here and there though, like I did). Midterms sucked all the oxygen here in the US and the UK's ongoing scandalous descent like Twitter into bankruptcy did there.  Maybe more coverage in Europe? Anyway, Ukraine is still major center of attention.

57 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That was in the news several weeks ago. I guess that this dude and you seem to have just noticed it now shows how many waves it didn't make back then. I think it generated less than a page worth of posts in this tread, or the previous one(?), at the time.

It's definitely made the rounds in the news. That dude is on my block list for quite some time so I'm not surprised that he is a bit on the slow side. I actually consider him a troll. Probably well meaning but still...

No beer! Cannot be a legitimate World Cup! Also the beer sponsor who paid what ? 40 million to sell, and whose contract got shafted by Qatar, sells Budweiser, which is hardly beer anyway -- unless the European Bud is different? Scandal upon scandal. 

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

No beer! Cannot be a legitimate World Cup! Also the beer sponsor who paid what ? 40 million to sell, and whose contract got shafted by Qatar, sells Budweiser, which is hardly beer anyway -- unless the European Bud is different? Scandal upon scandal. 

Don't worry, they are still allowed to sell beer in all the corporate suites.

Bunch of scumbags.

10 hours ago, Spockydog said:

There is a way to do that. When a country bids to host a world cup its bid goes into a hat along with all the other bidders. Bidders are drawn from the hat a coin is flipped to see whether they are in the running to host the women's event or the men's event. Allow smaller countries to bid only for the women's event, but no country is allowed to bid only for the men's event.

Countries can withdraw bids, but if you withdraw a bid you can't bid again for 20 years.

Going back to the Chinese Secret Police Stations across the globe.

It did make the news, just not as big a story as it should've been. 

Spiegel story with an example the story of Wang Yingyu and his fiancee Wu Huan

Archived