Internation Events X - Why such a long break...?

TheLastWolf

19 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

So, apparently, despite warnings that this could have happened, the governor of the Federal District, Ibaneis Rocha, didn't bother to do much, in part because he's in...Florida...on vacation...even though he started his 2nd term... on January 1st.  Imagine having a job where you can go on vacation immediately after you start...

No kidding. Democratically elected or not, the political class of Brazil makes it extremely hard to side with them. It is hard for me to compare this to the January 6th storming of the US Capitol, because the corruption of Brazilian politicians makes ours look like the Girl Guides.

10 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

No kidding. Democratically elected or not, the political class of Brazil makes it extremely hard to side with them. It is hard for me to compare this to the January 6th storming of the US Capitol, because the corruption of Brazilian politicians makes ours look like the Girl Guides.

Well, I don't know if I was the one who got it wrong or the news that got it wrong and then corrected, but apparently the one in Florida was Anderson Torres, the Secretary in charge of security who was Bolsonaro's Minister of Justice. Still, the point of going on vacation immediately after starting a job stands 

Unfortunately, among the itens destroyed in the attack it was this watch, a 17th century creation that was a gift from Louis XIV to the king of Portugal and came with the Portuguese royal family to Brazil in 1808, when they fled to Rio to escape Napoleon. It survived more than 4 centuries, Napoleon, a transatlantic ship ride, the transfer of capital to Brasília, revolutions and coups, but Bolsonaro was too much for it...

vague rumors of massive far-right protests in Peru over the ouster of a president who attempted to dissolve their congress as part of a coup. Multiple comparisons with far-right screwballs in the US and elsewhere.

Which makes me wonder about the Neo-Nazi nutjobs arrested in Germany...

Anyhow...

Fresh Peru clashes leave many dead (msn.com)

At least 17 people have died in clashes between supporters of the former president and security forces in south-eastern Peru, officials say.

Dozens more were injured on Monday in the city of Juliaca in some of the worst violence since ex-President Pedro Castillo was arrested last month for trying to dissolve Congress.

His supporters have been protesting and blockading roads for weeks.

They say new President Dina Boluarte must go, and want snap elections.

4 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

vague rumors of massive far-right protests in Peru over the ouster of a president who attempted to dissolve their congress as part of a coup. Multiple comparisons with far-right screwballs in the US and elsewhere.

Which makes me wonder about the Neo-Nazi nutjobs arrested in Germany...

Anyhow...

Fresh Peru clashes leave many dead (msn.com)

At least 17 people have died in clashes between supporters of the former president and security forces in south-eastern Peru, officials say.

Dozens more were injured on Monday in the city of Juliaca in some of the worst violence since ex-President Pedro Castillo was arrested last month for trying to dissolve Congress.

His supporters have been protesting and blockading roads for weeks.

They say new President Dina Boluarte must go, and want snap elections.

I would be very surprised if the far rights support a left politician, shouldn't they be happy that he is gone?

38 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

According to a report in Brazilian press today, there has been around 1.500 arrests regarding the coup attempt and far-right wing camps, meaning a 10% increase in Brasília's prison population (which was already overcrowded to begin with).

There are only 15.000 prisoners in the whole of Brazil?

53 minutes ago, kiko said:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/41604ce2f5845907b156bacb9535d8b70767c16dc49ec9fb79ada0e5037f46df/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_dunce.gifreading and writing is not my strength today.

If that becomes a permanent problem, you will qualify to be a Bolsonaro supporter. Get your Brazilian flag ready

Even the blob media is beginning to use terminology such as "Global Authoritarianism", "Global Anti-Democratic Movement", etc.

And Scott -- for all your concerns about Lula and Putin, you should be far more concerned about the Putin-tRump-Bolsonaro axis, which isn't even attempted to be hidden.  Surely deSantis is part of that, if one judges by both action and pronouncement.  Not to mention Steve Bannon and his many ilks.

Archived