MCU: KEVIN's world

Rhom

Disney lost money in 2020. They were narrowly profitable 2021 and 2022 was slightly better. I think the reasons are obvious.

However, 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/08/disney-dis-earnings-q4-2022.html

I don't see a Netflix acquisition happening for the simple reason that Disney is still reckoning with the Fox acquisition; which was the biggest they've ever made and came right before their business tanked because of the pandemic. 

18 hours ago, sifth said:

The GotG Holiday Special was really good.

I get the feeling the MCU is going to miss James Gunn.

It was fine. Personally, I'd put it as the least of the Marvel TV offerings so far. It's a little... unfinished looking. The Groot suit is not good, and some of the other prosthetics are off too. (Some look great. Some don't.).

I found the scene with the cops weirdly violent and off-putting. The rest was caught somewhere between trying to be sincere and trying to be an alternative take and didn't really hit either mark. (The use of Fairytale of New York, a song that genuinely was an alternative take at one point but now is about as controversial as Jingle Bells, is an apt indicator of the problem.)

I started watching the holiday special but I guess I got bored and switched it off. It did have a thrown together quality which I guess reflects the SW version it is taking inspiration from but really I can’t say I was very taken with anything I saw. 

Id rather Gunn goes back and does other stuff, the joke is wearing thin.

58 minutes ago, mormont said:

It was fine. Personally, I'd put it as the least of the Marvel TV offerings so far. It's a little... unfinished looking. The Groot suit is not good, and some of the other prosthetics are off too. (Some look great. Some don't.).

I found the scene with the cops weirdly violent and off-putting. The rest was caught somewhere between trying to be sincere and trying to be an alternative take and didn't really hit either mark. (The use of Fairytale of New York, a song that genuinely was an alternative take at one point but now is about as controversial as Jingle Bells, is an apt indicator of the problem.)

I didnt like the cop scene. Given recent controversies over cop violence, particularly in America, having cops shooting someone multiple times being treated as a joke was a bit off, even if they werent hurt.

After the repeated mentions of a certain actor, glad they included him.

I'm not very far into it but it's pretty delightful so far.

Spoiler

I liked the dog, the song and Mantis. I thought that one random woman crying when she sees their spaceship was a great touch. "I'm sorry, robots killed his cousin!" I know the Guardians are winding down but they need to keep Mantis around. 

Edit: Yeah it wasn't much but I liked it. I think they should have kept the deleted scene in the last movie about Mantis being his sister. I'm not sure how Nebula having Bucky's arm makes sense but it was a good joke. 

The weirdest part to me was the running "actors are the worst!" joke. When Nebula brought it back towards the end that really didn't land. I guess it's supposed to be funny because they're actors? 

I thought the Holiday Special was enjoyably daft. It's true that it doesn't have much substance to it, but I think it's fine for what it is.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'm not very far into it but it's pretty delightful so far.

Hide contents

I liked the dog, the song and Mantis. I thought that one random woman crying when she sees their spaceship was a great touch. "I'm sorry, robots killed his cousin!" I know the Guardians are winding down but they need to keep Mantis around. 

Edit: Yeah it wasn't much but I liked it. I think they should have kept the deleted scene in the last movie about Mantis being his sister. I'm not sure how Nebula having Bucky's arm makes sense but it was a good joke. 

The weirdest part to me was the running "actors are the worst!" joke. When Nebula brought it back towards the end that really didn't land. I guess it's supposed to be funny because they're actors? 

I agree that running joke didn't really work at any point.

13 hours ago, mormont said:

(The use of Fairytale of New York, a song that genuinely was an alternative take at one point but now is about as controversial as Jingle Bells, is an apt indicator of the problem.)

I wonder if the inclusion of Fairytale of New York works differently for an American audience, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's not a well-known song over there even if it ubiquitous at Christmas in the UK.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:48 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Are they? I give it max. 18 months before a DC-MCU crossover is announced. I wouldn't be surprised if we even get an Easter egg in the Shazam sequel. 

They did mention Batman in the Holiday Special.

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:
(Some talk of that first account not being verified, but of course that doesn’t mean much anymore … plus some rumours of Owen Wilson appearing).

So, instead of Owen Wilson delivering his signature line, Deadpool will. 

Wha...ow

Archived